VCU/MCV Class of 2010???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a gym at VCU?
Also, is it really inconvenient to live across the river? I see a lot of great looking community apartments with fitness centers but they seem to be either on the other of the river or all the way out in the west end.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparition said:
Is there a gym at VCU?
Also, is it really inconvenient to live across the river? I see a lot of great looking community apartments with fitness centers but they seem to be either on the other of the river or all the way out in the west end.

I will be living across the river at least for the up coming year. I also plan to buy a $50 VCU semmester bus pass to use at least to get up to school. There are more than a few routes in that area that all head straight downtown.

Apparition said:
Is there a gym at VCU?

I asked about this during my interview. There are 3 gyms on the VCU campus, one is just a few blocks away from the center of the MCV campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
madi said:
I asked about this during my interview. There are 3 gyms on the VCU campus, one is just a few blocks away from the center of the MCV campus.

Do we have to pay for the membership?

Apparition said:
Do we have to pay for the membership?

Nope. It's included in our tuition.

Consider the West End, our complex's fitness center is great and it only takes me 15 minutes to get to school. But of course if you don't want to drive, it wouldn't be the way to go. Just my two cents!

Soooo...anyone out there already have a place they'd recommend. My roomie and I are looking for a 2bed on the bus line at a reasonable price (under $1000 a month). Flexible leasing (10months) would be a huuuge plus. Obviously, the closer to campus the better.
I've found some options but we'd appreciate any input on people who already live in a community that can tell us what it's really like.

Anyone still looking for a place? I'm thinking about getting a place downtown and am looking for one or two roommates (male). Either send me a PM or IM me. Take it easy.

This thread is pretty quiet compared to VCU Central. Or maybe I just have too many questions :oops: .

Does the school provide health insurance and is it covered by the tuition?
Also, is there an acceptance package that's mailed after the status change?

Apparition said:
This thread is pretty quiet compared to VCU Central. Or maybe I just have too many questions :oops: .

Does the school provide health insurance and is it covered by the tuition?
Also, is there an acceptance package that's mailed after the status change?

i actually had the same question during the fin aid workshop and they said we should get one but havent recieved an official letter yet....or maybe i did and misplaced it :oops:

lilmissangel said:
i actually had the same question during the fin aid workshop and they said we should get one but havent recieved an official letter yet....or maybe i did and misplaced it :oops:

Has anyone gotten a financial aid letter, yet? At the financial aid workshop, they said they'd be mailed out June 26/27. Is anyone else afraid of signing a lease without a letter in hand? :(

wistarrat said:
Has anyone gotten a financial aid letter, yet? At the financial aid workshop, they said they'd be mailed out June 26/27. Is anyone else afraid of signing a lease without a letter in hand? :(

I still haven't gotten the FAAN in my VCU email they said would be out a week or two ago. I did receive an acceptance letter but have got nothing on financial aid yet :scared:

madi said:

The gym on the MCV campus totally blows. The one on the undergrad VCU campus is pretty close (and there is a bus connector thing) and is much much nicer - we can use that one too. I went to grad school at MCV and never used the MCV gym or the VCU gym. I was/am a member at a gym with the worst name ever - American Family Fitness Center. They have 6 locations that you can use with your membership and they are all open 24 hrs (except Friday and Sat nights). I got in really early on a membership a couple of years back so I only pay $29 a month. I'm not sure what the deal is nowadays though.

wistarrat said:

Have you signed a lease yet? I would just go ahead and do it if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparition said:
This thread is pretty quiet compared to VCU Central.

I agree. I think we need to do something about that...I'm trying to do my part as we speak.

I just graduated from Davidson College and I am on the waitlist at VCU SOM for next year. If I don't get in this year, I will do the Postbac program for a year at VCU. I am a 23 year old, non-smoker, laid-back male who is looking for a roomate(s) to live in downtown Richmond. I am interested in Medicine, Christianity, Funny Movies, Guitar, Traveling, etc. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Thanks,
Ryan s

VPDcurt said:
Have you signed a lease yet? I would just go ahead and do it if I were you.

Found a great place, but haven't signed, yet. Still waiting for the lease in the mail. I'm sure all of us would like to sign with absolute certainty that we'll be attending, though! I don't think my kidney is even worth $65K, which is the only alternative to fin aid coming to mind. :scared:

wistarrat said:
Found a great place, but haven't signed, yet. Still waiting for the lease in the mail. I'm sure all of us would like to sign with absolute certainty that we'll be attending, though! I don't think my kidney is even worth $65K, which is the only alternative to fin aid coming to mind. :scared:
Just curious as to the location of your new digs, as I'm unfamiliar with the area. Thanks

What's the total cost of attending VCU (tuition+living, all expenses)?
Basically, I'd like to know what the max amount per year we can take. Thanks.

Whoa, only 1 month left exactly, from today.

cgk said:
Just curious as to the location of your new digs, as I'm unfamiliar with the area. Thanks

The Fan. Just south of Monument. nice area. very residential and classy. I went for strawberry shortcake at the Strawberry Street Cafe and came across this place. I loved it. Feel free to PM me if I can help with any specific questions.

Apparition said:
What's the total cost of attending VCU (tuition+living, all expenses)?
Basically, I'd like to know what the max amount per year we can take. Thanks.

Whoa, only 1 month left exactly, from today.

I don't have the numbers on me. something like $64K for OOS.

wistarrat said:

I don't know if you are planning on scholarships or what?? but I'm pretty sure that every student will at least get the $38,000 unsubsidized. And unless your EFC is super high, you will get the $8500 subsidized from the govt. So don't freak out too much, you will at least get that!

wistarrat said:
I don't have the numbers on me. something like $64K for OOS.

I think it was $50,000 or $52,000 for the instaters.

chattkis said:
I don't know if you are planning on scholarships or what?? but I'm pretty sure that every student will at least get the $38,000 unsubsidized. And unless your EFC is super high, you will get the $8500 subsidized from the govt. So don't freak out too much, you will at least get that!

But, that's not where my worry is... $38K + $8.5K= $46.5K
I'm OOS. Gotta be at least a little anxious about the other $20K this late in the game.

any females still in need of a roommate? pm me if you are interested

SGMD1 said:
Can anyone who is familiar with the MCV campus tell me if there are any efficiencies in the area bounded by Leigh/Cary/6th/17th? The shorter the commute the better...and just about everything I can find is either a bit pricey or on/west of Adams...which I don't necessarily mind doing, but if there's something closer I'll take it.
Also, do any students have mopeds?

i'm not familiar with the area, but I put down a deposit for a studio in Trolley Sq on West Franklin St. Its pretty close to campus and right on the bus-line.
Its around 665 a month. I changed my mind and am actually getting a place with a roommate so I'm giving this up (tomorrow!!). It was pretty hard to find a deal like this one in a good location (and trust me I LOOKED!!), so if you're interested call them and grab it tomorrow! I've heard from a bunch of people that its a good location.
In fact, PM me and I can refer you incase theres a waitlist if you're interested.

SGMD1 said:
Hey...I'm definitely interested. I actually know someone who has an efficiency in Trolley Square and I was hoping to avoid that building since it's pretty old and the elevators are pretty sketchy (my friend said the AC randomly stopped working earlier this week at one point) but at this late stage in the game I'll take what I can get. Have you seen the apartment? You wouldn't happen to know details like what floor it's on & the amenities it has (i.e. carpet, dishwasher, etc.) Let me know when you get a chance - thanks!
I'm not sure about the amenities, but give me your full name (u can PM me) and i'll refer you to Judy who was handling my lease, and then give u her direct #. When are you looking to move in?? She'd want to fill it NOW, since i was supposed to move in today (yikes, shes gonna wanna kill me when i call).
its on the 4th floor of the EAST building (which i'm told is nicer than the west). apparently the higher u go the more expensive it gets. it has a nice view since the building next to it goes to the 3rd floor so ur not staring at a brick wall. I didnt get to see the actual apartment but looked at a model.
It seems fine. I'm not picky so I didnt really look at the details. it had a dishwasher if i remember correctly, but you can probably ask for the detail when you call them. let me know ASAP since i'm calling her today.
When i went down there, someone had JUST given their notice to move for this place (he was the guy standing in front of me), and the people waiting after me desperately wanted this same place i put down a deposit for, so if you want it, def let me know and I might be able to put in a word and hopefully get u the place.

Thanks, Madi! Though mine isn't loaded yet. Is the bill scary looking? :scared:

Im an M1 next year and am gonna be living at Trolley Square. I researched a lot of places and it seemed to be the best deal. I got a studio on a high floor (the view is awesome), and i just moved in...seems to be pretty nice. The room is well maintained, I think a med schooler lived there last yr. It iis carpeted, and by far the best amenity for me is the big walk in closet with shelves. As for the room, I was able to fit a full bed, desk, printer desk, kitchen table w/ chairs, and 27" tv in there, and still not be cramped. The worst part about the place was the AC, which was pretty bad (didn't cool anything). Im gonna get them to fix that before I actually move in, or get a 100 buck portable air conditioner from Home Depot. Also the elevators sucked somewhat but usually werent too bad...even then, budget more time for that because you might accidently stop on the wrong floor (happened to me when moving in). There wasn't a dishwasher in my unit. There is currently a waiting list of 20 ppl for parking. Other than that, I know several med schoolers livin there, and they seem to be pretty happy.The best part will be the shuttle service, which apparently stops at Trolley West (1 block down). The place has a gym, pool table/lounge, and pool on the 16th floor. Also, the outside is well lit because of the Jefferson Hotel (a nice looking 5 star hotel) adjacent to the building. Overall, I think its not a bad place to live, for the price and the convenience. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps....

hoos05 said:
Im an M1 next year and am gonna be living at Trolley Square. I researched a lot of places and it seemed to be the best deal. I got a studio on a high floor (the view is awesome), and i just moved in...seems to be pretty nice. The room is well maintained, I think a med schooler lived there last yr. It iis carpeted, and by far the best amenity for me is the big walk in closet with shelves. As for the room, I was able to fit a full bed, desk, printer desk, kitchen table w/ chairs, and 27" tv in there, and still not be cramped. The worst part about the place was the AC, which was pretty bad (didn't cool anything). Im gonna get them to fix that before I actually move in, or get a 100 buck portable air conditioner from Home Depot. Also the elevators sucked somewhat but usually werent too bad...even then, budget more time for that because you might accidently stop on the wrong floor (happened to me when moving in). There wasn't a dishwasher in my unit. There is currently a waiting list of 20 ppl for parking. Other than that, I know several med schoolers livin there, and they seem to be pretty happy.The best part will be the shuttle service, which apparently stops at Trolley West (1 block down). The place has a gym, pool table/lounge, and pool on the 16th floor. Also, the outside is well lit because of the Jefferson Hotel (a nice looking 5 star hotel) adjacent to the building. Overall, I think its not a bad place to live, for the price and the convenience. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps....
How much is a studio per month? Is the parking extra if you get off the wait list? How far is the Apt from School? Thanks!

Lower floors are less expensive; 660ish per month...higher floors will be around 690 per month for the added view. The rent includes power but not water and cable/internet (water will be around 20, cable around 40-70 depending on what you want). The parking is 50 - 60 bucks extra per month. The aptmnt is 1.04 miles from MCV's Egyptian Building (I mapquested it). You take one left right outside the apmtnt, then turn right and go straight down West Broad about 10-11 blocks, then left onto 11th. If you want to live by yourself then I think this place is the best price for the downtown location; if you have a roommate to live with then there are less expensive places that you can find on West Franklin Street. FYI, DONT look at Trolley West, it smells really bad and is kind of sketchy. Any more questions just let me know...

just got the status update yest and I can't wait to start school and meet all of you guys. I think I saw somewhere that orientation is Aug 7?? I guess that gives me about 2 wks to find somewhere to live... :eek:

Vizsla said:
just got the status update yest and I can't wait to start school and meet all of you guys. I think I saw somewhere that orientation is Aug 7?? I guess that gives me about 2 wks to find somewhere to live... :eek:

I haven't found a place yet either. Did you submit your deposit already? When you do you get a password to VCU forums which contain lots of useful info.

Apparition said:
I haven't found a place yet either. Did you submit your deposit already? When you do you get a password to VCU forums which contain lots of useful info.

submitting deposit soon, have no idea when i will get password for the forums..wanna let me in on all the vital info I need to know??? thanks apparition

Vizsla said:
submitting deposit soon, have no idea when i will get password for the forums..wanna let me in on all the vital info I need to know??? thanks apparition

You'll get the password and the link to the forum as soon as you pay the deposit. It's all in the same area where you check your application status. Congrats again and let us know if there is anything else you need to know.

Vizsla said:
Congrats!
Vital info that i can think of right now:
Aug 7th - first day of orientation - make sure ur there or u lose ur spot
Aug 10th - white coat ceremony - pretty big deal - u can invite family so tell them to keep that date free.
The entire first yr schedule is up on theorientation website
Make sure you submit all the matriculation stuff listed and read all the announcements.
Good luck on the home hunt!! Madi and I are rooming together and we had quite an adventure :D

Vizsla said:

Welcome to the club, Viz. I'm glad your time finally came. ;)

thanks guys...cant wait to finally start

Vizsla said:
thanks guys...cant wait to finally start

Congrats again, Viz. I'm so happy for you!

Check out Craigslist for housing. That's how lilmissangel and I found our place.

madi said:
Congrats again, Viz. I'm so happy for you!

Check out Craigslist for housing. That's how lilmissangel and I found our place.

thanks madi :D

i'm actually starting the post bacc physiology program at vcu in august, so i was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions of places to live in the area. i'm going up to richmond to figure out housing next week, and i saw a couple people talking about trolley square, but it sounds like it's already full. my classes are on the med campus, so do you have any other suggestions for 1 or 2 br places? i guess safety's my biggest concern b/c i've heard that vcu is in the heart of downtown. any info would be much appreciated!

Vizsla said:

hey Vizsla, that's awesome! congratulations on getting in. :thumbup: what a crazy situation that was, eh?

cfdavid said:
hey Vizsla, that's awesome! congratulations on getting in. :thumbup: what a crazy situation that was, eh?

thanks cf..crazy doesnt even begin to describe it ;)