VCU/MCV Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to the VCU Class of 2013 and I noticed we don't already have a thread yet. I know several other people who have been accepted and it's going to be a great class! I'm not sure where I'm going to end up in the end, but VCU is an awesome program and would make a great choice for anyone.

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Anxiously awaiting December 15th at 6:04 pm...

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be at VCU....does anyone know if they offer any merit scholarships?

Yes they do - a good amount of people get small scholarships ($1k-$2k/year) but in general they aren't the most generous school. I personally know someone who was offered a full ride at VCU. She was an in-stater, though (not sure if that makes a difference).

Hey everybody, congrats on the VCU acceptances! The admissions office definitely wins the "nicest and most helpful" award for the schools I applied to. I also really liked how transparent they made the application process. I'm not sure where I'm going to end up, but I had a good experience at VCU when I interviewed.

They offered me a 5k/year scholarship shortly after I got the acceptance. Apparently they have a committee that gives out the merit-based money. Being in-state, this makes VCU by far the most affordable school I've applied to. I'm not sure how they decide who gets the money or how much though. And I'm assuming if I don't end up at VCU, they will give the scholarship to someone else.

I'm 95% sure I'll be attending VCU/MCV this fall. Woohoo! :D

Hey everyone! As of now, VCU is my top choice so I may see you all in the fall :) Does anyone know if they have a second look date? Congrats you guys!

Yikes I can't believe there's already a class of 2013 thread. Seems like only yesterday I interviewed, now we're almost done with anatomy. Good luck to you all.

They offered me a 5k/year scholarship shortly after I got the acceptance. Apparently they have a committee that gives out the merit-based money. Being in-state, this makes VCU by far the most affordable school I've applied to.
Well played! They weren't so nice to me, and I'm out-of-state. :(

Yikes I can't believe there's already a class of 2013 thread. Seems like only yesterday I interviewed, now we're almost done with anatomy. Good luck to you all.

Well played! They weren't so nice to me, and I'm out-of-state. :(

Isn't it crazy how fast time goes while in med school? I can't believe I just scheduled step 1 boards a couple of weeks ago.

And I feel your out of state pain. I owe more money for school than my parents paid for the house I grew up in.

i've been accepted and its a good chance ill go there too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay VCU acceptances!

Quick question: one of the acceptance forms talks about notifying them of our decision without 2 weeks??? How serious is that?

Yay VCU acceptances!

Quick question: one of the acceptance forms talks about notifying them of our decision without 2 weeks??? How serious is that?
just send in the check. You are in no way bound to VCU, you can still withdraw and receive your deposit back if you do it before either may 1st or 15th, I dont remember for sure.

I have an interview at VCU in February, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go or not. Are there any particulars I should be aware of? Thanks!
Whether to go to the interview or not? Are you serious? I can't check your mdapplicants profile since the site appears down but why did you bother applying if you're not even going to bother to go to the interview? VCU's a great school and I would highly suggest at the very least going to the interview if you're able.

People who got interviews, what were your PCATs and GPAs like, and where did you go to school?

Whether to go to the interview or not? Are you serious? I can't check your mdapplicants profile since the site appears down but why did you bother applying if you're not even going to bother to go to the interview? VCU's a great school and I would highly suggest at the very least going to the interview if you're able.

I've been accepted to some others. Plus, money's running alittle tight. At this point, I want to know if this school was worth the hundreds of dollars I'd spend to interview.

I've been accepted to some others. Plus, money's running alittle tight. At this point, I want to know if this school was worth the hundreds of dollars I'd spend to interview.
Well VCU is way better than SLU, I can tell you that much. I don't know anything about the other schools you got accepted to.

Med schools are pretty similar in terms of curriculum. What separates them is clinical experience and the fit for the individual student. If you already have a good fit and a school with good clinicals, you have your answer already. Btw this is much more suited for the pre-allo MCV/VCU thread.

So, we were supposed to hear today about the change of our file.... Apparently, if I haven't heard anything by the time the website says, then I'm just on hold? Not on an alternate list, not accepted, and not rejected?

Hmmm....

This is what my file says now:

The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for action at a later date. We anticipate making offers October 15, December 15, February 1, and March 15.

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

We thank you for your interest in our school.

So, was I supposed to hear anything on the February 1st (or 2nd) date?

Any thoughts? Anyone in the same situation?

So, we were supposed to hear today about the change of our file.... Apparently, if I haven't heard anything by the time the website says, then I'm just on hold? Not on an alternate list, not accepted, and not rejected?

Hmmm....

This is what my file says now:

The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for action at a later date. We anticipate making offers October 15, December 15, February 1, and March 15.

You will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list in mid-March, or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

We thank you for your interest in our school.

So, was I supposed to hear anything on the February 1st (or 2nd) date?

Any thoughts? Anyone in the same situation?

So on the login page it says that status changes will be available after 6:00pm, however it is now after 6 and my page still looks the same (like yours)

I would assume that means we are still on hold, but I don't know.

I think my notification was a few hours late. Don't sweat it, they will post.

Yeah, seriously. I remember our year, there would be a new post at least every other day. I def. see some students interviewing when I go through Sanger. I didn't realize the interviewing process was this long.

To be fair I interviewed in early February back in '06, so I'm assuming they still do it that way now.

Are you leaning towards VCU chad and hoping for Columbia? Columbia is the epicenter of the DNP program, you realize? Right into the belly of the beast you'd be heading.

Yeah, seriously. I remember our year, there would be a new post at least every other day. I def. see some students interviewing when I go through Sanger. I didn't realize the interviewing process was this long.

I guess people are still figuring out which school they will actually attend. But yeah, it does seem like these threads were more active during my application year.

To be fair I interviewed in early February back in '06, so I'm assuming they still do it that way now.

Are you leaning towards VCU chad and hoping for Columbia? Columbia is the epicenter of the DNP program, you realize? Right into the belly of the beast you'd be heading.

I am actually leaning towards Maryland, with VCU as my second choice, and hoping (praying) for Columbia. We'll see what happens with Columbia and then with financial aid.

What do you mean by the "belly of the best" with the DNP program?

He means you will be surrounded by a bunch of nurses that have spent 1/8 the time you will have in training and demanding that you call them doctor, while being taught by your instructors that everyone in the hospital is equal and that if Dr. Nurse tells you how to do something, you'd best not question her.

Heh, I said it somewhat in jest but yeah you've got the right idea. I have a college friend currently in line to become a pediatric NP there in a year or so. She will receive her DNP 2 years before I get my MD and she will have at least 7 years of practice done by the time I am board certified.

Oh well.

I posted this in the pre-med VCU class forum, but then realized this might be a better place to post this:

I am OOS. I remember on interview day they basically said don't count on getting VA residency. So I am a little confused, then, on who actually does get in-state residency coming from OOS.

This is what my situation looks like. I am married, and my wife would be working in Richmond (probably as a school teacher). We would have VA residency for all intents and purposes. Since she is working and paying taxes to VA, and we are not dependents of anybody, wouldn't she qualify as a bona-fide VA resident after a year, thus making me a resident by marriage? Wouldn't that make me a VA resident eligible for in-state tuition for my remaining years there?

I posted this in the pre-med VCU class forum, but then realized this might be a better place to post this:

I am OOS. I remember on interview day they basically said don't count on getting VA residency. So I am a little confused, then, on who actually does get in-state residency coming from OOS.

This is what my situation looks like. I am married, and my wife would be working in Richmond (probably as a school teacher). We would have VA residency for all intents and purposes. Since she is working and paying taxes to VA, and we are not dependents of anybody, wouldn't she qualify as a bona-fide VA resident after a year, thus making me a resident by marriage? Wouldn't that make me a VA resident eligible for in-state tuition for my remaining years there?

If you start med school paying OOS tuition, then you will pay OOS tuition all four years. Unfortunately that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

It doesn't matter. I contacted them and they told me the only way a spouse could get someone residency is for her to be stationed there in the military. I liked VCU but the cost is a bit outrageous so I probably won't end up there.

Might a current M3 or M4 know what percentage of the M3/M4 class gets to do their clinical rotations in northern VA (at Fairfax)? Is this set from the M1 year, or can you select this option at the end of the M2 year? Is this considered a competitive thing to get, or do most students want to stay in Richmond?

Might a current M3 or M4 know what percentage of the M3/M4 class gets to do their clinical rotations in northern VA (at Fairfax)? Is this set from the M1 year, or can you select this option at the end of the M2 year? Is this considered a competitive thing to get, or do most students want to stay in Richmond?

my class has 24 students but I imagine they are increasing the number of students up there as the class sizes get larger. While you sign up for it before M1, you can change your mind. For instance, i have a friend who decided at the middle of second year he wanted to do INOVA and is now up there. There usually is a waitlist since a large portion of the class is from northern Va so if you want it, sign up for it early. You can always change your mind and drop it. If you decide late in 2nd year, all the spots will probably be filled. There is plenty of room for people at MCV so if you decide to drop INOVA it's no big deal, and most likely someone will take your spot up there.

Thought I'd share some cool info:

For those who are going to go to MCV, here is the material you will have to memorize during the first 2 years. This is a picture of the syllabi, stacked on top of each other for the first 2 years. These are free sheets of paper without binding or thick covers... enjoy

costanzo.jpg

Our scores are back from step 1. 96% of my class passed step 1 (90ish nationally). 42% of the class scored 230 or above with 13 people over 250

Thought I'd share some cool info:

For those who are going to go to MCV, here is the material you will have to memorize during the first 2 years. This is a picture of the syllabi, stacked on top of each other for the first 2 years. These are free sheets of paper without binding or thick covers... enjoy

costanzo.jpg

Our scores are back from step 1. 96% of my class passed step 1 (90ish nationally). 42% of the class scored 230 or above with 13 people over 250

Love the pic Instatewaiter-especially with the board review queen standing behind the stack.

:eek:

I'd sell a kidney to get a 230+, can't believe 42% of you guys did that well. Congrats!

Me too. I can't believe crunch month is only 2 months away. Where did M2 go?:eek:

Hey Everyone,
Congratulations on your acceptance to MCV/VCU! I am looking to find someone to move into my 2 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom (2 story) apartment in May. I realize that this is earlier than most of you are probably planning on moving, but if you're interested let me know because I'm trying to move early to Charlottesville for residency and I'd still have 1 month left on my lease if I can't find a new tenant...
My wife and I were the first tennants in this new building when we moved here in 2005. It is very conveniently located in beautiful Shockoe SLIP (not less-safe Shockoe BOTTOM) and I have really appreciated the short walk to campus for the last 4 years.
Rent is $1020/month and includes one parking space a local garage. There are a handful of other medical students in this comfortably sized 14-unit building. Your walk to campus brings you right past the beautiful state capital building and the governor's mansion. Please send me a private message if you are interested!

Hey guys. I am going to be a first year VCU dental student, and I am looking for roommates for next year. I am willing to find a 2 bedroom or even a four bedroom apartment. I would like to live with other first year dental students so we can suffer together through the first year of dental school. I am easy going, not a neat freak and pretty flexible when it comes to living with people. I also like sports and going out if we ever have free time during school.

So if anyone is looking for a roommate and place to live send me an email [email protected]

Dr. Costanzo (Linda) is awesome. She's probably one of the best science teachers I've ever had. Incredibly approachable as well. She's the one reason I am jealous of people going to MCV.

Hey everyone, I noticed some people here were looking for a place to live, which is perfect because I have a place near MCV and am looking for roommates!

Briefly, I am a rising 2nd year female medical student at MCV and I'm looking for 1-2 roommates to share a 3 BR/2 BATH apartment located in beautiful Church Hill (0.8 miles from MCV!). It is the converted upper floor of a house and has a recently renovated kitchen and a back deck. Washer and dryer are included and free to use (landlord pays for the cost). There is a bus stop right around the corner with several bus lines that go to MCV and a park across the street. By bus, it is a 5-minute ride or less; walking distance is about 12-15 minutes. Parking is on-street, but there is always plenty of parking available and you don't have to worry about having a limited number of reserved spots to share between people. There are also lots of great restaurants, a grocery store, post office, and farmer's market all within walking distance! As a bonus, there are also many cool events that take place in Church Hill; for example, this past weekend we had the Irish Festival just a few blocks away.

In terms of details, the lease would start on June 1 and will be approximately $350-500/mo plus utilities, depending on whether the apartment is shared by 2 or 3 people.

PM me if you are interested/have any questions :)