VCU/MCV Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question about classes:

Are lectures available online (audio and/or video recordings)?
Are syllabi/class notes online (PDF, PPT, etc.) or do you receive a printed packet?

Thanks.

Yes, they are available online, audio and video.
You get a printed syllabus, but it is also online.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear M-I,
We have fifteen weeks left before orientation

:eek: :eek: Holy smokes! That's crazy! We've been waiting so long, now it's coming so fast ....

:eek: :eek: Holy smokes! That's crazy! We've been waiting so long, now it's coming so fast ....

:laugh: Blink and you'll be finishing M1, blink again and it'll be M2 and boards will be < 2 months away. :scared: :eek: Med school will start before you know it and then during it you'll keep looking back and wondering how time has gone by so fast. It's crazy because it seems like you spend so much time in high school, undergrad, etc wanting to get into medical school and then once you do everything goes by incredibly fast.

Enjoy your summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: Blink and you'll be finishing M1, blink again and it'll be M2 and boards will be < 2 months away. :scared: :eek: Med school will start before you know it and then during it you'll keep looking back and wondering how time has gone by so fast. It's crazy because it seems like you spend so much time in high school, undergrad, etc wanting to get into medical school and then once you do everything goes by incredibly fast.

I second this! I am an M1 and I can't believe we have 5 weeks left till the end of the semester. Last week we took our finals for Histology and Physiology; both these classes started in January and I remember thinking, "how in the world are we going to get through this 1,000+ page syllabus in a few months." Enjoy your summer and get ready for some fun in August.

I second this! I am an M1 and I can't believe we have 5 weeks left till the end of the semester. Last week we took our finals for Histology and Physiology; both these classes started in January and I remember thinking, "how in the world are we going to get through this 1,000+ page syllabus in a few months." Enjoy your summer and get ready for some fun in August.

I second this, and now I sit in the library studying neuroanatomy and am thinking "how am I going to get through these last four weeks??!"

Can't wait for summer, but I also can't believe this year is over. M2 is going to kick ass! (So glad M1's over.)

By the way, I am a CA transplant who moved here last summer with wife and kid so if anyone has any questions about my cross country trip and finding a place and med school with a family feel free to PM me or post here.

I second this, and now I sit in the library studying neuroanatomy and am thinking "how am I going to get through these last four weeks??!"

Can't wait for summer, but I also can't believe this year is over. M2 is going to kick ass! (So glad M1's over.)

By the way, I am a CA transplant who moved here last summer with wife and kid so if anyone has any questions about my cross country trip and finding a place and med school with a family feel free to PM me or post here.

:) M2 has been great, but I can't wait for it to end just because of all the tests we have right now. We have 2 OSCEs Monday, the FCM written exam Tuesday, and an FCM oral exam the following Monday. The Monday after that we have our MSK exam but at least that's the last test of the year! Well, other than boards, but I'm trying to ignore their existence for the next 2 weeks because I have too much studying to do. I'm sitting here trying to review the differential diagnosis of syncope and all I want to do is go back to sleep for another couple of hours. Anyway, good luck with Neuroanatomy, that class certainly takes some hard work.:)

:) M2 has been great, but I can't wait for it to end just because of all the tests we have right now. We have 2 OSCEs Monday, the FCM written exam Tuesday, and an FCM oral exam the following Monday. The Monday after that we have our MSK exam but at least that's the last test of the year! Well, other than boards, but I'm trying to ignore their existence for the next 2 weeks because I have too much studying to do. I'm sitting here trying to review the differential diagnosis of syncope and all I want to do is go back to sleep for another couple of hours. Anyway, good luck with Neuroanatomy, that class certainly takes some hard work.:)

What's an FCM oral exam? I never heard of that this year.

What's an FCM oral exam? I never heard of that this year.

You guys won't have one until next year. You pretty much sit in a room with a doctor who asks you questions like, "whats the differential diagnosis of chest pain" or "what review of symptoms questions would you ask a patient who came in complaining of dizziness." The material is not very hard but it's essentially like being pimped for questions by your preceptor, but now they're grading your answer.

You guys won't have one until next year. You pretty much sit in a room with a doctor who asks you questions like, "whats the differential diagnosis of chest pain" or "what review of symptoms questions would you ask a patient who came in complaining of dizziness." The material is not very hard but it's essentially like being pimped for questions by your preceptor, but now they're grading your answer.

Wow, that sounds pretty scary. Well, I guess it's good practice for your upcoming 3rd year when you will be pimped. At the moment, I feel totally unprepared (as one would expect after finishing 1st year) for those types of questions, but I'm sure (I hope) 2nd year will prepare us well for the oral exam.

Wow, that sounds pretty scary. Well, I guess it's good practice for your upcoming 3rd year when you will be pimped. At the moment, I feel totally unprepared (as one would expect after finishing 1st year) for those types of questions, but I'm sure (I hope) 2nd year will prepare us well for the oral exam.

It gets easier during M2 because you knows some things, but you still often feel like you know nothing. I don't like the oral exams because I just don't like being pimped, but yeah, you have to get used to it. The oral exams are based on cases that we've discussed in FCM throughout the year so nothing is a complete surprise but it still feels really uncomfortable to be grilled for answers. You'll have one just before Christmas break during M2 which is just credit/redo so you'll have some experience before the graded spring exam. Preceptors pimp you for answers more during M2 as well so you get some experience there as well. I'm actually more worried about the OSCE (because it's 2 patients with focused interviews and PEs followed by an encounter note with differential and assessment) and the written exam (which is only scary because its 50 questions based on a whole year of material with no syllabus to study). Anyway, I should actually study since all this fun begins tomorrow.

It gets easier during M2 because you knows some things, but you still often feel like you know nothing. I don't like the oral exams because I just don't like being pimped, but yeah, you have to get used to it. The oral exams are based on cases that we've discussed in FCM throughout the year so nothing is a complete surprise but it still feels really uncomfortable to be grilled for answers. You'll have one just before Christmas break during M2 which is just credit/redo so you'll have some experience before the graded spring exam. Preceptors pimp you for answers more during M2 as well so you get some experience there as well. I'm actually more worried about the OSCE (because it's 2 patients with focused interviews and PEs followed by an encounter note with differential and assessment) and the written exam (which is only scary because its 50 questions based on a whole year of material with no syllabus to study). Anyway, I should actually study since all this fun begins tomorrow.

Not to derail the thread... the oral exam is a joke. For the osce you basically need to be able to talk to people and you will do fine. Very few people did poorly.

The written exam is a total beast. I got an 80 and it was won of the highest grades in the class. A bunch of people (20+?) failed and had to retake it. Our class used to copy the answers to the TBL/group quizes because the course directors were too lazy to create all new questions so they just recycled the TBL questions for the final exam. Well my second year they made that an honor violation (instead of just making new questions) and to make sure no one did benefited they created basically all new, very impossible questions (again, why not just do the new questions). Unless they have changed it, all I can say is go through Bates and get used to the bazillion pictures and what they are. There were like 15 pictures of very random things.

Good luck

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread... the oral exam is a joke. For the osce you basically need to be able to talk to people and you will do fine. Very few people did poorly.

The written exam is a total beast. I got an 80 and it was won of the highest grades in the class. A bunch of people (20+?) failed and had to retake it. Our class used to copy the answers to the TBL/group quizes because the course directors were too lazy to create all new questions so they just recycled the TBL questions for the final exam. Well my second year they made that an honor violation (instead of just making new questions) and to make sure no one did benefited they created basically all new, very impossible questions (again, why not just do the new questions). Unless they have changed it, all I can say is go through Bates and get used to the bazillion pictures and what they are. There were like 15 pictures of very random things.

Good luck

Yeah, the OSCE was easy today. I have the written exam tomorrow but people are saying that it was fairly straight forward for once, which is surprising for FCM. I'll just be happy to be done with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a fin aid package yet? OMG!

FCM sucks.

Some of my fellow classmates have renamed it FML.

Although our written exam was super easy yesterday! I was kind of annoyed because I studied way more than I needed to, but I'll take the good grade. Now I just have to live through the oral exam next week and then I'll be done with FCM. FOREVER. :)

For the people attending next year, you'll get used to complaining about FCM. Preceptor is great but the classroom work can be a pain in the neck. They are working on some changes to make it more useful because the idea behind FCM is good but it doesn't always accomplish what they hope.

Med schools are pretty similar in terms of curriculum. What separates them is clinical experience and the fit for the individual student. If you already have a good fit and a school with good clinicals, you have your answer already. Btw this is much more suited for the pre-allo MCV/VCU thread.

What? Once I found out the GW is 8-5...that didnt sound too "similar" to me...They wont get a check from me!

I like VCUs curriculum...its really str8 in terms of afternoon time that you get to do what you need...That is what I prefer...

What? Once I found out the GW is 8-5...that didnt sound too "similar" to me...They wont get a check from me!

I like VCUs curriculum...its really str8 in terms of afternoon time that you get to do what you need...That is what I prefer...

At most schools you don't have to go to class anyway.

Hey is anyone looking for a roommate? I'm a 23 y/o female from CA, looking to live with another female send me a pm if interested. I'm very clean, quiet, and I like to cook to give some preliminary details.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but for the class of 2013:

Once you are given access to the orientation website, you can set up your vcu id (unless they changed that from last year), and that means you can probably access the med school ecurriculum site. If you're nosy about what you'll be doing next year, you can find lots of junk (ppts, lectures, etc) there.

For those of you with people who want to buy you stuff:
The only thing you need to purchase between now and mid-Oct is Bates' Guide to Physical Examination, and even that you could just use the copies at school if you don't want your own copy. Bates' practically is the syllabus for FCM, and I ended up bringing mine to class most of the latter half of the year.

1) You can borrow a stethoscope from the school, so you don't have to buy one M1 if you don't want to. For M2 you'll need one, and they say you need an optho/otoscope kit, but it is totally possible to borrow one from someone else, and Welch/Allyn has a discount program through our student AMA assoc, so I wouldn't purchase anything now. I did ask for a stethoscope as a gift and I liked having mine this year, but I knew what I wanted.

2) M1 books:
You should have at least one anatomy atlas. I personally found this to be the most difficult course of M1 -and I think the class mean reflects that. I would get a cheap, old copy of Grants, because that's what the faculty use, and then get an atlas you like -you want as much detail as possible. Lots of us used Moores (little Moores), but there were plenty of people using Netters and Rohan's too. There are many copies of these at school so unless you are spending someone else's money, wait, go to CIRC, look at all of them, and choose what you like best.

You will also want some version of Linda Costanzo's Physiology -most of us have BRS Phys now. But Phys doesn't start until January. I also have a copy of Cases and Problems, and found it very helpful to go through just before exams -several M2s report using it for M2 also.

For immuno, you'll want a copy of Parham's Immunology. It also basically is the syllabus for that course, and the old edition (black and white cover) is as good or better than the new edition.

For neuro, you'll need a copy of Haines' Atlas. It can be an old edition, but I'd get one that hasn't been drawn on too much, because it can be really hard to see the detail otherwise.

3) technology. Lots of us have handhelds (crackberries, iphones) but you don't need one. I personally don't, because I'd want to play with it during lecture, and if I show up, I do like to pay attention. I do have a laptop, and particularly for the more software oriented courses (anatomy, neuro), it's nice to be able to take it anywhere to study. If you have a mac, you should get a copy of windows so you can run a couple of programs that work only in wintel -but if you're willing to study on-campus, that isn't necessary.

4) parking. You will have to walk a few blocks everyday, or take the bus. I personally don't have a parking pass, I just park a bit further away for free. There is a lot right next to the student lot which charges $2.50/day, which, if you aren't going to campus everyday, is about the same as getting a student pass. If you don't mind paying a bit more, you can get a garage pass, but it's still a few blocks from class, and you need to go early to get one, they tend to sell out early in the semester. You can get a bus pass from the parking office on campus.

5) TB test. WAIT to get a TB test until right before orientation, so you won't be forced to renew it with the herd next spring. Do get all your vaccinations and get that silly proof on health insurance form filled out. Your student health fee covers primary care visits @ student health, and they have cheap OTCs and Rxs, which can be delivered to student health for you (convenient). I have heard very mixed reviews of the health insurance offered by the school, and am using my DH's plan in any case.

6) Housing. There is plenty of cheap housing in the area, all the time. If you're uncomfortable choosing in a short time period, and you don't mind moving twice, get a place for a month or so, and shop around during the first few weeks. You really do have plenty of free time the first block, and there are always people on campus shopping for roommates.

Congrats!

Hi everyone!

VCU just accepted me today, yaaaayyyy.

I had a quick question for you all. Does VCU's curriculum fall under the "systems-based" category? I know class is usually 8-12/1ish most days of the week but just wasn't sure whether that necesarily implies a block curriculum setup or not.

Hi everyone!

VCU just accepted me today, yaaaayyyy.

I had a quick question for you all. Does VCU's curriculum fall under the "systems-based" category? I know class is usually 8-12/1ish most days of the week but just wasn't sure whether that necesarily implies a block curriculum setup or not.

No, not really, though it will be in 2012 : ) 1st year is academic subject formatted (biochem to start, w/ "population medicine" -which is stats/public health stuff). 2nd year is sort of systems based, but pharm, micro are still separate blocks, followed by units on GI, MSK, etc.

Look at my prev post -get your deposit in and get your eID so you can look at the ecurriculum stuff for yourself. Right now, all the syllabi, schedules, etc are there.

No, not really, though it will be in 2012 : ) 1st year is academic subject formatted (biochem to start, w/ "population medicine" -which is stats/public health stuff). 2nd year is sort of systems based, but pharm, micro are still separate blocks, followed by units on GI, MSK, etc.

Second year really is almost completely organ system based. The pharm course is just a brief intro to general principles of pharmacology and autonomic nervous system drugs, with the bulk of the pharm coming with each system.

Our curriculum is actually organized almost exactly like First Aid :) It didn't make sense to me when I looked at it before starting, but having just gotten through it I'd say it works pretty well.

Look at my prev post -get your deposit in and get your eID so you can look at the ecurriculum stuff for yourself. Right now, all the syllabi, schedules, etc are there.

Does the server have to recognize you as a med student in order to log in? I wonder, because I've had my eID and such for 7 months now and I haven't been able to log in. I can get on Blackboard and everything else, but not ecurriculum.

Does the server have to recognize you as a med student in order to log in? I wonder, because I've had my eID and such for 7 months now and I haven't been able to log in. I can get on Blackboard and everything else, but not ecurriculum.

Same problem here, I can log onto everything except ecurriculum.

Has anyone not gotten their financial aid package?

I completed my FAFSA and need access on time but didn't get any information from the financial aid office until I emailed them in late April and they replied with the aid I was eligible for. Is that all there is to the financial aid package or was I supposed to get a packet in the mail? They gave me the pertinent numbers but I was expecting to receive more information than that.

Has anyone not gotten their financial aid package?

I completed my FAFSA and need access on time but didn't get any information from the financial aid office until I emailed them in late April and they replied with the aid I was eligible for. Is that all there is to the financial aid package or was I supposed to get a packet in the mail? They gave me the pertinent numbers but I was expecting to receive more information than that.

Yes, I got mine about 2 months back. It came with one sheet of paper addressing my particular COA and a packet that explained financial aid at VCU in general terms. I don't think you're supposed to get anything more, unless you request something. I could be wrong though....

Anyone from OOS start looking (online, in person, etc.)? I was referred to several places that have lofts, which is ideally what I'm looking for. Prices, though, are a bit high for what I can afford. Is it unreasonable to look for a one bed / studio for $700 or under? Maybe I'm delusional, but I want to be near the school and in a safe area. Any instaters wanna chime in?

Pick one.

Seriously, in your price range you might want to look further west.

Hahah, harsh but true.

Around the school is not a great area. Anything near the school that is in a decent area is going to run 900+ for a one bedroom. There are some smaller one bedroom/studios for 700 near the farmer's market but they are kinda small. Further away from the school (the fan area- 2-3mi) you may be able to find some one bedrooms for 700.

Best options are either to get a roommate and rent a 2 bedroom which can easily be found for around 1000-1200 in that area OR look in the west end. Even there you will be hard pressed to find a one bedroom that is that cheap and not a total tenement. It really makes sense to get a roommate. You will get much more space for even less money.

I live in a 1500 sq ft apt with one roommate for 1060/mo (530 per person). If I were to get a one bedroom I couldn't even get 600 sq ft in a complete ****hole for that price.

Hahah, harsh but true.

Around the school is not a great area. Anything near the school that is in a decent area is going to run 900+ for a one bedroom. There are some smaller one bedroom/studios for 700 near the farmer's market but they are kinda small. Further away from the school (the fan area- 2-3mi) you may be able to find some one bedrooms for 700.

Best options are either to get a roommate and rent a 2 bedroom which can easily be found for around 1000-1200 in that area OR look in the west end. Even there you will be hard pressed to find a one bedroom that is that cheap and not a total tenement. It really makes sense to get a roommate. You will get much more space for even less money.

I live in a 1500 sq ft apt with one roommate for 1060/mo (530 per person). If I were to get a one bedroom I couldn't even get 600 sq ft in a complete ****hole for that price.

I appreciate the honesty. I guess I'm willing to commute if I need to in order to get a deal. I'm not familiar with the area at all; so, I guess I'll look toward the west end or the fan. Any places in particular that are nice for either one or two bedroom apartments that students have liked?

I found a really nice 1BR (500 sq ft) in short pump area for $675. Commute is about 12 miles. The place is small, and the commute is longer than I would have liked, but I'm living with my girlfriend, and she absolutely did not feel comfortable in the many of the other areas of Richmond. I've seen several apartment complexes in this area for around $700.

I found a really nice 1BR (500 sq ft) in short pump area for $675. Commute is about 12 miles. The place is small, and the commute is longer than I would have liked, but I'm living with my girlfriend, and she absolutely did not feel comfortable in the many of the other areas of Richmond. I've seen several apartment complexes in this area for around $700.

The commute is not that bad if you are coming from any large city with real traffic. This is one of the benefits of living in Richmond.

The commute is not that bad if you are coming from any large city with real traffic. This is one of the benefits of living in Richmond.

So true. My husband and I came here from CA, and we always joke that people around here don't really know what traffic is. Friends will complain of "traffic" when there are a lot of cars on the road but everyone is going over the speed limit. You'll get real traffic (the stop and go or moving slow kind) in the morning depending on what time you leave but it isn't that bad. I lived in the west end during M1 and it was fine. One of my friends has lived in Short Pump M1 and M2 and plans to keep living there.

Good to know. I'm going to look into that area.

Does anyone know when the M3's will show as registered or any information on financial aid? Studying for boards and thought I would take a break and check but still no information on student detail.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the M3's will show as registered or any information on financial aid? Studing for boards and thought I would take a break and check but still no information on student detail.

I did the exact same thing about 10 minutes ago. :) I'm not sure when it gets posted. I don't think there was anything until late June last year but I can't remember for sure. Happy studying, btw. I don't know when you're taking Step 1 but I have 16 days left so tomorrow marks the halfway point. :(

I did the exact same thing about 10 minutes ago. :) I'm not sure when it gets posted. I don't think there was anything until late June last year but I can't remember for sure. Happy studying, btw. I don't know when you're taking Step 1 but I have 16 days left so tomorrow marks the halfway point. :(
GOOD LUCK!!!! I don't take mine until July 6. UUUUUGGGGHHHH

Is anyone going to live in the on-campus housing?

:laugh:

Seriously though...I don't think I know anyone doing that.

I live in a row house in the fan (2700 block)...there are lots of these around that area (it's basically a large house that's been split into an upstairs and downstairs apartment). It's far enough away from the crap hole areas that it's safe. It's a really nice place, and its plenty big for my wife and I (2bdrm, porch, balcony, 1900sq feet, less than 1K/month which you probably won't beat but can come close).

If you are going to rent an apartment, I'd personally stay away from the big companies that rent mostly to students (Waybright, Metro Properties, and others). Those places are dilapidated and get no attention from the owners until it's time to keep your security deposit. Plus you will get no peace and quiet if you are in a complex full of VCU undergrads.

I know 2 people from our class lived there for M1 and M2 but that was only because they were going to INOVA and didn't want to set up places to live here.

I have a housing opportunity for someone still looking. I am a rising M2 and my roommate is a nurse working at MCV. We are looking for a female roommate. The house has four bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms located about 5 minutes from campus. The rooms are spacious and you will have your own bathroom. The rent will be $675 flat which includes utilities, cable, internet, and phone. There is a washer and dryer in the house. If you are interested please email me at [email protected] or you can call me at 757-672-4353.

I lived in the grad dorms this past year. There were 6 other M1's that I knew of that lived there also. The majority of the ppl there are dental students and the certificate kids. I won't be living there this year but this is the basic rundown...

PROS:
1) 6 minute walk from your door to egyptian building (M1 classes).
2) MCV gym and pool is right next door as is the new student center/cafeteria (which was being built last year but I think should be open by the fall)
3) you get a single (no roommates)
4) there's a nice quiet 24 hour study lounge
5) it has all of your typical dorm "amenities" like community big screen TV, pool table, ping-pong table, and swipe-in security.

CONS:
1) Community showers- got annoying real fast...especially in the winter
2) 1 kitchen per floor or 1 kitchen per dorm.

UTBME, thank you so much for the rundown! :) I hope you don't mind if I ask you more questions?

1. I think I am going to be living in Bear Hall, which has one kitchen per floor. Do you know how big the kitchen is? Also, are there communal pots and pans in the kitchen, or do we have to lug our own pots and raw food from our rooms every time we cook?

2. What do you mean when you said community showers got annoying in the winter?

3. On the contract, the move-out date is actually two weeks before the last day of the M1 year. What did you do about that?

4. Where can the Low-Rises residents park?

Thanks!

I lived in the grad dorms this past year. There were 6 other M1's that I knew of that lived there also. The majority of the ppl there are dental students and the certificate kids. I won't be living there this year but this is the basic rundown...

PROS:
1) 6 minute walk from your door to egyptian building (M1 classes).
2) MCV gym and pool is right next door as is the new student center/cafeteria (which was being built last year but I think should be open by the fall)
3) you get a single (no roommates)
4) there's a nice quiet 24 hour study lounge
5) it has all of your typical dorm "amenities" like community big screen TV, pool table, ping-pong table, and swipe-in security.

CONS:
1) Community showers- got annoying real fast...especially in the winter
2) 1 kitchen per floor or 1 kitchen per dorm.

I know it's a little early, but if anybody went and would like to post, that'd be great. I couldn't get up there and would like to know if I missed anything important.

Speaking of finances, does anyone know the deadline for accepting our financial aid? And when the first bill for tuition is issued?

Congrats everyone!

I'm a current M3 and I have a room for rent if anyone is interested.

The 2400 sqft 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home is about a 10 minute drive from MCV/Downtown. The house is 2 years old, and is fully furnished. You would only need to bring items for your room.
Some features include:
Large backyard with deck and grill
Treadmill and home gym
Spacious kitchen
Central air and heat Washer/dryer
Carpet and hardwood floors
Garage parking
Brinks security system
Cable TV, internet, and wireless access in all rooms.

The house is located in a Clarendon Woods, a Ryan Homes neighborhood, near many retail shops and only 3 miles away from the new Shops at White Oak Village off of 64 East in the East End. The neighborhood is very safe with many families around. I am a clean, respectful person and do expect similar roommates. Non-smokers and no pets, sorry. Rent is $675 including all utilites, Comcast cable tv, and internet. If you have any quetions or for more information, feel free to contact me by email at [email protected]

Strangely enough, there is no mention of when the white coat ceremony is except for on the convention center itinerary although there seems to be a wealth of (other) details. Is Aug 13th correct?