Vcu/mcv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarzan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just thought I'd start a MCV/VCU thread since they're making decisions in the next few days. This is my first and only choice... I've been on hold since October so this has been a LOONG wait. In case I get waitlisted, does anyone know how their waitlist works: Ranked or not? Any other thoughts/advice about this school would be appreciated! Thanks a lot! Tarzan

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

Anyone hear anything, this weekend? :confused:

haven't heard anything yet...should be here in the next few days

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP--Anybody know when they will post decisions on the website? I'm a nervous wreck!!!

I called the admissions office on Monday, and they said that the next batch of offers is going out "the last week of March". Hope that helps.

BUMP--Anybody hear anything yet this week? I'm assuming this (and not next) week is the "last week of March." THANKS for your help, Wahoo!

They usually tend to send them out on Friday or Saturday so I wouldn't hold my breath until then. :D

Hey guys, word on the street here in Richmond is that the acceptances are going out today. Anybody heard anything...expect to hear anything...or just getting sick of waiting? Good luck to all. Peace in the middle east!

ack! All of my VCU emails have come at 9 or 10 pm, but I won't have email access tonight or tomorrow! ack ack ack!

Thanks for the tip though, bigbuddieMD! Looks like I'll be scrounging around for a computer tomorrow...

Good luck all!

nothing yet......damn...hey i got a question for you peeps waiting for this final round....do they usually interview a bunch and only accept from that bunch? I interviewed a few months ago...was placed on hold...and was to wait.....anyone get in after being placed on hold yet?

anxious....everyone gets placed on hold at MCV before they get in. On hold means that you are on their list to be accepted and that you are waiting to either be accepted...or if not accepted when all of the seats are given out then waitlisted or rejected if you are not strong enough for the waitlist.

Here's how it was explained to me:

Following the interview, they meet. The file reviewer and your interviewer present your application (Both strong and weak points). Your app is then discussed and questions are raised about specific classes, successes, failures..etc. Then the whole committee votes. They give you a score between 0-5 in half point increments. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This score doesn't change. You are then either accepted immediately, placed on hold (I think this happens to most people, I was placed on hold and then accepted 1 day later), or turned down.

Then when they decide to bring in say 30 students, they take the top 20 in-state and he top 10-out of staters. (I'm just making up #s for the in to out of state ratio, I don't know what it actually is).

Good luck to everybody who's waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP

So...anyone hear anything this weekend?? I know I haven't. :( Good luck to all! ;)

Ready...well stated...thats exactly how I understand the process to work. So in a nutshell, being "put on hold" is code for...we have scored your file and you are being put on a list till the next round of offers. As for hearing anything this weekend I have not heard a peep about my file or anyone elses...who knows whats going on. I am starting to get depressed about the whole thing...I feel like I might not get in at times. I heard some depressing news today from an M1 here...she said that the class is filling up really quickly this year. Good luck to all. Peace

BUMP...no one's heard anything? Maybe that's a good thing...

well, I just called the admissions office. They said that they will post decisions by Friday of this week. hmmm, sounds familiar. I am really, really frustrated by this whole process. Guess there's nothing to do but wait. :(

Thanks for the news Tarzan! That makes me feel a little better. :) But then again, there's yet more waiting...+pissed+

Good luck to all. :clap:

Hi! i have been on hold since october also! I heard from a postbacc certificate student there that they had a large influx of applicatiosn at the end of the year and that backed them up. apparently they didn't even interview many of the certificate students even though they were verbally told they would get an interview. anyway this has been a long process!

yo they posted new info. i got alternate listed. boo! i hope you guys did better. post em!

Same for me here. What a let down. Second year in a row to be waitlisted. I am starting to wonder if I will ever make it.

same here, alternate....do you think they reject people post-interview or is everyone categorized as alternate?

I got in, but am a Va resident. Interviewed 2/11. I'm hoping to get of EVMS' waitlist (my hubby & 5yo and I live in Norfolk so I want to stay local) - so my spot might open up soon. Best of luck - you guys will be excellent classmates!
Jess

alternate list! at evms also!

I'm an alternate too...good company anyway, right? :) Hang in there guys!

Congrats on your acceptance, jesbr, keep us posted if you hear from EVMS!

Thanks, Wallie
Ok, I was gonna send EVMS a luv letter...do you think I should mention the MCV acceptance or will that just make me look like a little snota$$? I really, really want EVMS but I don't want to burn any bridges, either? Advice on how to handle this is much appreciated...thanks, guys.
Jess

Dont feel that badly guys. I just got rejected. I had a terrible interview though. My interviewer was 30 min late, he hadnt read my file, took 10min to read it. Saw I was a science major and asked me to explain cellular respiration, and then asked me if there is anything I would like to tell the committee. He didnt find out 1 thing about me. I told him I was interviewing at my state school and he told my hopefully I will have better luck there! Anyway interview from hell.

hmmm... i had to explain cellular respiration too. i wonder if we had the same interviewer. i am scared to name names though. mine was very supportive though and we talked quite a bit and I wa slat efor the next part as a result. It was a good interview.

jesbr, you could write them a letter simply stating that you have another acceptance but would prefer them so you would simply like to know soon (more eloquently of course).

I would consider VCU/MCV because my fiancee is at their dental school, but they let me down by putting me on that overcrowded Alt. list. Besides the question about Harry Potter, I thought I did well during the interview.
On a bright note, I got in UVa only 3 days after my interview on 2/11. That should tell you how skewed this whole admission process is. Well, that saves me the headache of choosing. I think I will withdraw my spot to make some room for other weary souls. I know of two friends who got in off the waitlist in August last year. It can happen and will happen.
Wish you guys the best of luck in achieving your dreams. :)

I'm on the alternate list as well.... grrrr .... Anybody know anything about this list? How big? Ranked or unranked? Do they separate in-state from out-of-state applicants? Do they take anyone off before May 15th? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm feeling really clueless right now. Good luck to everyone! Tarzan

Ooohh Tarzan, sorry to hear that. I've been addicted to your thread so I was hoping you would be able to relax and quit waiting!!
Jess

:laugh: i had the harry potter interviewer, too... did dean heldberg tell you that he asks everyone he interviews about that? something about wanting to see how you make small talk!

for all of you guys still on the waitlist, just wanted to remind you of that plaque in the lobby of the building with the admissions office...it's from the guy who entered his class at VCU/MCV as the last person off of the waitlist...and ended up graduating first in the class! he gives a partial scholarship every year to the person who enters the class as the last one off of the waitlist ;).

hey, i think all of us would like to know if any of us get in off this alternate list so that we have some hope. if anyone gets in off the waitlist please let us all know and uplift all of our hopes and dreams. thanks!

i was talking to a m1 at mcv to see how many people got off of the waitlist in her class. she said that she only knows of a few and one guy got called at 1pm on the day before classes started. however the last year- the 2001 entering class, 35 people got off of the wait list.
i dont' know if it helps but it is info that i thoughti'd pass on.

hey msv md do you know if they separate the waitlist for in state and out of state? At the interview died they tell you u all that they are accepting a lot more out of state this year, they did at mine....one last question, i sent a thank/interest letter after my interview...would you guys suggest I send in something or will it not really change anything?

Hi everyone. i just called this morninga nd mcv said that a round of offers went out last friday. 26 to be exact. i wasn't in that batch. anywone else? they said that they are getting withdrawals daily but there isnt' any regular scheudle for the offers to go out. also the witlist rankings are confidential. only the adcom knows!

I was one of the ones removed from the waitlist on last Friday. It was totally unexpected I was waiting until after 5/15 and ready to reapply. I am also an out of stater!

Those of you on the EVMS wait list, good news...I'm giving up my acceptance this week. I hope they give my place to an SDNer! :)

Hey Everyone,
I gave up my acceptance yesterday. I couldn't stand to hold onto it anymore knowing that other people were still waiting. I hope one of you is the lucky one who gets in!!! Goot Luck, you'll love it in Richmond!

-CT

I think all of us that are waiting would just like to say thank you to all of you that are withdrawing from schools you do not plan on going to. It is nice to know that there are some people that actually care about people they have never met before and genuinely want the best for other people. You guys will all make great doctors! Thanks!

Well, with May 15th around the corner I'm a nervous wreck. This is the second year I have been interviewed and waitlisted at MCV, and it is the only chance I have (ie no other schools like me). I just wanted to see if anybody knows how this waitlist has moved in the past in regards to the May 15th deadline. I feel it was promising that 26 spots were given a few weeks ago, but I don't know if that means anything. Best of luck to everyone....

:mad: :confused: :(

yeah, bets of luck to everyone. both evms and mcv keep telling me to wait until may 15 as if something is magically going to happen on may 15. I feel that if i was so high on the waitlist and it has been moving like they say, i would have been off by now. anyway it could take longer than may 15 . i reapply june1.

I am also on the MCV alternate list...I just saw a post on the Waitlist movement thread that mentioned someone getting off the list yesterday. Does anyone know anything about a recent batch of offers?

i bet another batch of offers went out last friday. that seems to be the trend but i dont' know this for sure.

Originally posted by MSV MD 2B
yeah, bets of luck to everyone. both evms and mcv keep telling me to wait until may 15 as if something is magically going to happen on may 15. I feel that if i was so high on the waitlist and it has been moving like they say, i would have been off by now. anyway it could take longer than may 15 . i reapply june1.

Hang in there, MSV! I just got off the EVMS waitlist today--when I called a month or two ago, they told me I was in the upper/middle third of the list. If they are already to the tip of the middle third before May 15, that has to be a good sign, right? By the way, I sent them a letter a few weeks ago saying I was still interested, but I don't know if that means anything to them.

Good luck all!

Okay, this is getting bad. I was told that I am in the TOP THIRD! and you sayt hat you are in the MIDDLE THIRD! Should I call?

Oh crap. That sucks, I'm sorry. I had the feeling when they told me what third I was in that they were just pulling it out of their butt. So, either their list isn't as ranked as it seems, or who ever answers the phone doesn't really know how to divide by 3. I guess you should call to check your status, though. It can't hurt, at least they will know you are interested. Good luck good luck good luck!

afterthought: are you in-state, MSV? I'm out of state, so maybe there are two different waitlists?