Vcu/mcv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am in state and that might hurt me this year unfortunately becuase all of the people that i have heard of getting off of the waitlist are from out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

i have called and they keep telling me to wait until may 15. so i will call again on friday.

I just got accepted off the waitlist last Wednesday. Woohoo.
Although I may be withdrawing my acceptance if I get into Loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i was talking to my buddy who is a m1 there. i was told that if you choose that you have been accepted to a medical school already on the waitlist status page, it will decrease your chance to get in off the waitlist because they choose from the not accepted list..... you think that's true? i mean they aren't stupid, THEY KNOW.

Originally posted by anxiousmed
hey guys, i was talking to my buddy who is a m1 there. i was told that if you choose that you have been accepted to a medical school already on the waitlist status page, it will decrease your chance to get in off the waitlist because they choose from the not accepted list..... you think that's true? i mean they aren't stupid, THEY KNOW.

Hey anxious, I chose that I had already been accepted to a medical school on the status page and I still got accepted off the waitlist...so no I don't think it really makes a difference.

Hey guys, I just found out on Saturday that I got in off of the waitlist (I'm in-state)! I also got into the Fairfax INOVA program. Is anyone else going to do this program? Does anyone know when orientation is? BTW, I sent several letters of interest w/grades and additional letters of recommendation. I'm not sure whether this helped or not, but it definitely didn't hurt me. Good luck to everyone! Don't give up (I almost did) and hope to see you all in Richmond this fall!

congrats tarzan and thanks for the inspiration. i hadn't wirtten a letter becuase i was told that they don't pay attention to them there- that they never get read but will write one tonight now!

Congrats, tarzan! I'm 99% sure I'm going to VCU too, and I'm in the Fairfax program as well. I actually don't know that much about Fairfax hospital other than that it's huge, so if you have thoughts to share, please feel free!

Congrats, and let's hope some others heard today too! :)

wallie diod you write letters of interest too? also, didn't you also get into evms? are you giving up your spot there?

Yeah, MSV, I did sent VCU a letter, even though they said they didn't want one. Who knows? It just made me feel better to try...
And yes, I gave up my spot at EVMS last week, so it should be coming someone's way soon (hopefully yours?).

thanks wallie but it hasn't come my way. i called on friday and they said that they just simply haven't gotten to me on the list yet. mcv basically same thing that is on the website. oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So whats up with VCU? have they filled there class already? anyone else get an acceptance? I guess i am just extremely low on the stupid waitlist. I wish they would tell us where we were so we can plan ahead :mad: Ah well i just got a post interview rejection from NYMC so most likely i will be a reapplicant. :( I hope all of you fair better than me. Good Luck to all.

Don't worry, the class isn't full. I remember last year they were still interviewing for waitlist spots in June. Some people in our class didn't get accepted until the very end, say July or August. I know it can be a strenuous haul, but don't give up.

integra i'll probably be on that reapplication bus with you!

I just got an email back from Audrey Walker and she told me that the class is full and that there hasnt been any waitlist movement since a little bit after May 15th. I guess thats it for VCU then. I really did like this school and though it would be perfect for me. Oh well, next year is another year and hopefully that will be the year for me. Good luck to all of you guys and I hope you get in somewhere. Ill be seeing you guys on this forum throughout the next year.

wow. so thats' that. i now only have 1 waitlist left. wow.

hey integra and MSV, what were your stats like? what do you wish you done differently? i'm a VA resident, so i'm trying to get the heads up on vcu/mcv... thanks

Originally posted by integra892
I just got an email back from Audrey Walker and she told me that the class is full and that there hasnt been any waitlist movement since a little bit after May 15th. I guess thats it for VCU then. I really did like this school and though it would be perfect for me. Oh well, next year is another year and hopefully that will be the year for me. Good luck to all of you guys and I hope you get in somewhere. Ill be seeing you guys on this forum throughout the next year.

Hey, I wouldn't count out MCV just from what Ms. Walker told you. First of all, the class may often be "full" after May 15th but that doesn't mean that it is the FINAL roster. People who have been accepted to MCV may be waiting on their 1st choice to take them off their waitlist, and as long as other schools are moving, you have a chance. Just because there hasn't been movement recently doesn't mean there won't be some in the next few weeks/months. What eagle26 wrote about people getting in late was also told to me by my student tour guides at MCV, and you shouldn't think this year is any different (at least I hope). Just trying to stay positive....

Yeah that is true and I have been trying to stay positive but its hard man. Its so discouraging to not hear and not to know what you are doing. I still have no clue what i am doing if i dont get in. Most likely I am going to stay in school another year and do some more clinical and research activities and get my GPA up with more classes (hopefully). I will probably also take the MCAT again since my score was pathetic (29). What are you planning to do MSV?

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just gave up my spot today in next year's class. I'm an out-of-stater, so hopefully, one of you guys will hear something soon.

integra, although i should i probably will not retake the mcat. keep in mind that the witlist says thta you meet their requirments but there weren't enough spots. Instead i will probably take soem classes and shodw, volunteer ot do research. if i study to retake the mcat it will be more diffiuclt ot do those other things as i am trying to finish a meidcal transcirption course that will allo me to work at home, with flexible hours and do those other things i mentioned. if i study for the mcat, i will never finish that coruse. i have to weigh things.
before i do anything though i will talke to the admissions directors at evms and mcv to see what really needs improving.

Yeah MSV I know exactly what you are talking about. I was taking classes during this last year and trying to study for the MCAT and that didnt work out soo great. But i am thinking that my GPA isnt all that great and a higher MCAT score might balance that out. I dont know what to do... MSV how are you going to get in contact with the admissions directors via email or call them? Are they willing to talk to you about your application? I have emailed the admis. director at MCV a few times and she has been really nice. Ah man i dont know crap!

You guys should try to make an appointment with the Dean of Admissions, Dr. Heldberg. I know she is willing to meet with people regarding their application, and she could definitely set you on the right track to make your application better for next year. I've e-mailed her before, and she was very nice, understanding, and prompt with her reply . But I think she is out of the office until June 6th. I know I am going to try to set up an appointment when she gets back. Hope that helps. Good luck...we all need it!

when i called evms this morning, the person on the phone told me to call dr lewis next week. as for mcv, i will probably email.

Hey everyone, I just sent out a letter to MCV relinquishing my spot so hopefully one of you will get it. Good Luck to everyone.

thanks but if they are like evms, they have a separate in state and out of state list so thta might not help me.

I interview at VCU/MCV on Tuesday for their Early Acceptance Program (EAP). I'm a sophomore at VCU currently. Any interview advice???

no, you'll probably get accpeted before i do.

Originally posted by gold&black2005
I interview at VCU/MCV on Tuesday for their Early Acceptance Program (EAP). I'm a sophomore at VCU currently. Any interview advice???

My interviewer was in the same field that I work in now, so I'm assuming that we were matched up deliberately. It seems like most people had the same experience that the interviews are pretty laid-back, get to know you-type conversations. My interviewer asked about my motivations, my path to med school, my family, etc. The EAP interviews might be different from the regular interviews though, I have no idea. Don't stress and good luck! How do you like Richmond?

Yeah the interview was really laid back and conversational. My interviewer did ask me a lot of ethical questions though so you should probably know about some of these topics ie... healthcare, euthenasia, organ donor crisis, cloning of humans, etc... Just in case you get the same guy as me. Also, know yourself, and your motivations for entering this profession. Then you should be fine. Overall the day was really nice and not much of anything to worry about. Good luck man! You probably will get in before me too!!:)

Originally posted by MSV MD 2B
no, you'll probably get accpeted before i do.
Awww...come on, keep your chip up. Its good to keep hope alive. :)

Originally posted by btmed772
You guys should try to make an appointment with the Dean of Admissions, Dr. Heldberg. I know she is willing to meet with people regarding their application, and she could definitely set you on the right track to make your application better for next year. I've e-mailed her before, and she was very nice, understanding, and prompt with her reply . But I think she is out of the office until June 6th. I know I am going to try to set up an appointment when she gets back. Hope that helps. Good luck...we all need it!
If I am out of state, do you think a phone appt. with her would be fine? How do adcoms view that?

I tried to set up an appointment with her and there aren't any available until July. I think she may actually prefer it if you were to make a phone appointment or just e-mail her your questions.

Originally posted by wallie
My interviewer was in the same field that I work in now, so I'm assuming that we were matched up deliberately. It seems like most people had the same experience that the interviews are pretty laid-back, get to know you-type conversations. My interviewer asked about my motivations, my path to med school, my family, etc. The EAP interviews might be different from the regular interviews though, I have no idea. Don't stress and good luck! How do you like Richmond?

Richmond's actually pretty decent, and from what I've heard from the med students, it improves greatly once you're actually over 21! There's quite a bit to do, and the city is more cosmopolitan than Hampton (EVMS) or C'Ville (UVa)...

anyway, the EAP interview went alright. No bioethics questions, barely anything on "why VCU"...very conversational, we ran over in time -- hoping that's a good thing! we'll find out next week. (horrors)

I saw on the waitlist thread that someone jsut got accpeted last friday- instate. i guess their waitlist is moving!

does MCV have two waitlists, one for instate and one for outofstate or is there just 1 waitlist?

don't know for sure but i do know that evems has two so it is probably the same at mcv.

hey did all of you on the alternate list get that messgae from dr. heldberg? i almost had a heart attack!

Yeah, my heart jumped a beat also. But I guess overall it is good news that the list is moving. Let's just hope people drop their unwanted spots....

yeah. it seems as if the pattern is to receive the email late thursday night/ friday, right?

Anyone hear anything today???

yeah me too. i am dying here man. today when i was driving i saw a virginia license plate on a car (dont see many in cali) and i was like "this must be a sign." sometimes i just wish they would just reject me and get it over with but then i realize how ****ty that would be and how much i want to get accepted. i guess we just gotta wait it out. CRAP!:mad: :confused: :(

hey guys, my acceptance package from EVMS is at the post office as we speak. i just have ot go to pick it up so more than likely i will be withdrawing from MCV later todya. hopefully that will help one of you. i have no idea where i am on the list. i know it is rough but keep hope alive.

CONGRATULATIONS MSV!!! People like you truly deserve to become doctors and I am very happy for you!! On another note, are you in state or out of state? if you are in state that wont really help me all that much but hopefully it helps someone else. Once again congratulations on your acceptance to EVMS and I hope you do very well there!:)

CONGRATS MSV!!!

I was rootin for ya at MCV, but EVMS is a fine school, and you'll be near the beach...:)

In other happy news, I was accepted to MCV's Class of 2009 yesterday. :)

sigh....relief

awesome gold&black congratulations!!! youre soo lucky that you applied to an early decision program and got in. no headache of applying to medcshool and waiting.