VCU/Richmond versus DREXEL/Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+ve

Keep Ur Head Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What do you guys think about these two schools/locations? Pros and Cons? I've been accepted to VCU and just got an invitation to interview at Drexel. I know this might be premature but I'm wondering if I would actually go to Drexel over VCU if accepted there. I really like VCU but I'm not sure how I would like living in Richmond for 4 years instead of in a more vibrant, progressive, bigger cosmopolitan city like Philly with an eclectic mix of people. Center and old city in philly is really cool-- there are tons of places to eat, and you have options of places and things to do for fun when you have the time in med school. Also, Drexel's IFM curriculum seems more integrated and clinically relevant, which I think might be better than the traditional discipline-based curriculum at VCU, i.e taking individual courses - biochem, histo, etc. However, VCU offers great clinical training, it has the fourth largest academic medical center in the country as well as a diverse patient population. Drexel on the other hand has numerous affiliated clinical sites for 3rd and 4th year rotations spread out across philly, pennsylvania, delaware and new jersey. They're assigned based on lottery and I'm thinking that having to drive to these places can be a pain, so is having a car in philly unless you're rich and can afford to pay for parking lot or live in an expensive apartment complex with parking garage, think rent = or >> $1000/month. I also worry that Drexel's student body will be more ultra-competitive in nature and may not be the best place for me. I don't know which school has a better reputation but I'm sure I'll get good medical education at either one. I'd like to get input from you guys. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well I attend VCU undergrad and grew up in Richmond, so of course I'm biased to VCU, but let me tell you a little bit more about Richmond.

It may be a smaller city, but it still has a very active culture and night life. There is always something going on and something to do. You don't have to live in the city - you can always live in the West End (which is ~15-20 minutes drive). This is the area I grew up in, and it is very nice. VCU itself is great. I think that most of the medical students there are truly happy with their experience there. The curriculum is not as traditional as you make it out to be, although it's not nearly as progressive as Drexel's curriculum. The clinical training to be gained at VCU is also fabulous, and some really great doctors come from our program.

And, VCU beat Drexel in basketball this season. :laugh:

if you interview at drexel, choose march 16th....just b/c if i go that will be the day i go. :) i also interviewed at VCU, and will hear back march 15th, so maybe i can contribute to this discussion (and i interviewed at drexel last year), but later since i'm at work and really busy

Members don't see this ad :)
if you interview at drexel, choose march 16th....just b/c if i go that will be the day i go. :) i also interviewed at VCU, and will hear back march 15th, so maybe i can contribute to this discussion (and i interviewed at drexel last year), but later since i'm at work and really busy

When you get a chance, can you share info. on your interview experience last year?. I've already scheduled for march 9, I work full time so fridays are best for me and I wanted the earliest one available. ttyl.

Well I attend VCU undergrad and grew up in Richmond, so of course I'm biased to VCU, but let me tell you a little bit more about Richmond.

It may be a smaller city, but it still has a very active culture and night life. There is always something going on and something to do. You don't have to live in the city - you can always live in the West End (which is ~15-20 minutes drive). This is the area I grew up in, and it is very nice. VCU itself is great. I think that most of the medical students there are truly happy with their experience there. The curriculum is not as traditional as you make it out to be, although it's not nearly as progressive as Drexel's curriculum. The clinical training to be gained at VCU is also fabulous, and some really great doctors come from our program.

And, VCU beat Drexel in basketball this season. :laugh:

lol, thanks for your input-- this would sure be a difficult decision to make if it comes down to it. I guess i'll just wait and see what happens first.

I also worry that Drexel's student body will be more ultra-competitive in nature and may not be the best place for me.

Hi +ve. Congrats on your acceptance at VCU. I'm sure you'll hear more about this at the Drexel interview/presentation, but Dr. Hanau described their student body as really helpful to one another. She said students will email the whole class a chart or diagram they created, and if you're the kind of person who will get annoyed by that, then you won't fit in. I used to think it was a pain having to go to interviews before you can be accepted, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the environment.