VCU School of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spelmangyrl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this thread in the DAT discussions forum, and got one result, but I wanted to know if anyone is attending VCU School of Dentistry right now and how they are enjoying their experience. I am from Richmond, and after I take the DAT I would like to apply. Your input would greatly help.

Members don't see this ad.

don't go. Attended the medical school there at VCU/MCV and I had dental school friends who complained about underfunded clinics and multiple other administrative issues with the faculty/staff. Good luck with your decision

Last year they changed their application deadline from Nov. 1 to Dec. 1, saying that they wanted to attract better pool of applicants. They answered my e-amil pretty fast, clearing the discrepencies of deadlines betwe n ADEA website and theri own. They basically wnated me to send in the applicaiton fee as soon as possible and told me I was a very competitive applicaant. However, right after clearing my check, they sent me a reject letter... I had 3.6/3.6 and 23/17.

After that the school turned me off big time. I had turn down a date with a guy from Virginia... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never even been to the campus, but I do have friends who are having the exact opposite experience that vietho26 mentioned. 3 friends that are DS1, and 2 that are DS3, along with one person who is in the ortho program.

I'm beginning to realize that most students at most schools have problems with faculty/staff--and certainly VCU is no different.

Hi,

How are you? I'm starting the D5 at VCU in a couple months, and wanted to know what you know about it or if you know anyone who started out in it.

I'm also looking for housing on-campus or nearby. How do I go about doing this? What would you suggest. I tried looking at the VCU housing site online but it wasn't really helpful. THANKS.

ItsGavinC said:
I've never even been to the campus, but I do have friends who are having the exact opposite experience that vietho26 mentioned. 3 friends that are DS1, and 2 that are DS3, along with one person who is in the ortho program.

I'm beginning to realize that most students at most schools have problems with faculty/staff--and certainly VCU is no different.

okay okay.. the vcu student is in the house now we can settle everything...

just kidding.

anyways first year has gone by rather quickly! the faculty/staff are VERY friendly, however, there is some favoratism (happens at everschool?). the school is def clinic oriented and not as strong as i want it to be in the academic arena. -- we take some classes with the pharmay school to cut on the budget costs (broadcasted over closed cicuit tv) -- (basic science courses such as biochem/phys/micro). Its losing its funding in research rather quickly but i believe all schools are having these diffculties with the government in place now. faculty shortage is here but they are trying to correct that slowly. For example, in pre-clinic we have had 2-3 faculty/22 students each day, not sure how many faculty get in clinic however.

We have finished the basic sciences in first year.

Anymore question? shootaway...

Regarding the housing issue.. -- since you are going to be d.5 i do not recommend the vcu campus housing, just for the fact you will only be in school for a total of 3-4 hours max a day and depending on how you study you might not want to be next to school. There are plenty of areas such as the Fan, westend, shockoe bottom, slip that are probably more suitable

Don't listen to rocknightmare. He is a GUNNER. :laugh: (Happy Birthday, A!)

Although I am only a lowly rising D2, I have no major complaints about VCU so far. I think ItsGavinC was right on the money when he said that most schools have similar problems regarding faculty. I think you'll get as much out of your dental education as you put in, so just pick whichever school suits you best and has the most affordable tuition. Since you are a local, you should just stop on by for a visit and see for yourself what VCU is like. Maybe become a volunteer or something.

As for where to live, some of the nicer complexes downtown are Park Plaza at Belvidere (mine), Tobacco Row, River Lofts, Lofts at Canal Walk, President's Walk, and Monroe Properties. I know of at least one classmate living at each of these. The Fan is also lovely, but it is known for its historic architecture = OLD so whether or not your place is nice is a bit of a coin toss. The West End is very nice, safe, and affordable, but it is really freaking far away in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

hey now .. don't spread rumors that arn't truthful:)

thank you.

i hope you bday was awsome, sorry i didn't make it

Anyway, I am going to be attending VCU next year. I am so excited to be starting. I am not sure what to expect, but it is definitely one of the better schools I think...but I have to be biased. So as a student if I am biased I am sure professors are going to be that way. Anyway....Trookie I am going to be living at Park Plaza at Belvidere also. Nice apartments...aren't they. Especially as a female they seem awesome :)

Indeed. I can't wait to move in next month! Feel free to stop on by if you need to borrow a cup of sugar or whatever. :)

Off course......everyone is living there.....another friend of mine is living there also. I think it is cool since they don't cater to undergrad.

I do not know if you are on this site any more. My niece is moving to Richmond...what is the area around Park Plaza at Belvidere like...is it a reasonably safe area...places to go??? I realize this is a stupid question, but important to us...any help is appreciated...

Trookie said:
Don't listen to rocknightmare. He is a GUNNER. :laugh: (Happy Birthday, A!)

Although I am only a lowly rising D2, I have no major complaints about VCU so far. I think ItsGavinC was right on the money when he said that most schools have similar problems regarding faculty. I think you'll get as much out of your dental education as you put in, so just pick whichever school suits you best and has the most affordable tuition. Since you are a local, you should just stop on by for a visit and see for yourself what VCU is like. Maybe become a volunteer or something.

As for where to live, some of the nicer complexes downtown are Park Plaza at Belvidere (mine), Tobacco Row, River Lofts, Lofts at Canal Walk, President's Walk, and Monroe Properties. I know of at least one classmate living at each of these. The Fan is also lovely, but it is known for its historic architecture = OLD so whether or not your place is nice is a bit of a coin toss. The West End is very nice, safe, and affordable, but it is really freaking far away in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

It is right next to the academic campus, so there are a ton of students living around here. It is safe, in my opinion, as long as you don't do anything ridiculous such as walking around at night by yourself. There is a parking garage right under the building, so she wouldn't have a need to walk in shady areas to get to her car. Homeless people hang out at Monroe Park right next door and at the shelter down the street, but that has never been a problem for me. Just keep your distance from those places at night, and you should be more than fine. There is a police station a few blocks down.

As for places to go, that is kind of a broad question. Richmond has a great art/music scene. Lots of fun bars in the Fan and downtown/Shockoe. Festivals at Brown's Island. Maymont Park and the river is fun to hang out at during the day. Carytown and the Fan have a lot of unique restaurants. Hope that helped. :)

Just wanted to really thank you for taking the time to answer...your thoughts are appreciated. The building sounds great...actually amazingly great...Thanks again :)

Trookie said:
It is right next to the academic campus, so there are a ton of students living around here. It is safe, in my opinion, as long as you don't do anything ridiculous such as walking around at night by yourself. There is a parking garage right under the building, so she wouldn't have a need to walk in shady areas to get to her car. Homeless people hang out at Monroe Park right next door and at the shelter down the street, but that has never been a problem for me. Just keep your distance from those places at night, and you should be more than fine. There is a police station a few blocks down.

As for places to go, that is kind of a broad question. Richmond has a great art/music scene. Lots of fun bars in the Fan and downtown/Shockoe. Festivals at Brown's Island. Maymont Park and the river is fun to hang out at during the day. Carytown and the Fan have a lot of unique restaurants. Hope that helped. :)

Trookie said:

AND you also have trookie, thats all you need in richmond!

rocknightmare said:
AND you also have trookie, thats all you need in richmond!

Ahh, thank ya, babycakes! Hey, good luck on boards this Monday. I am so nervous. :(