VCU Summer Institute in Psychiatry for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summer Institute in Psychiatry for medical students will take place July 10-15, 2016 at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond, VA. This is a great opportunity to learn more about psychiatry - the program includes lectures/discussions (including a lecture by Dr. Levenson, the author of the APA psychosomatic medicine textbook), participation in inpatient rounds (including, if you're interested, ECT observation) and meeting with one of the most prominent psychiatric geneticists, Dr. Kenneth Kendler - and enjoy the historical city of Richmond. The program is free, housing and most meals are provided by the program; all you need to cover are travel expenses and one dinner with fellow institute attendees.

I went to the Institute last summer and loved it. It was a great way to learn more about psychiatry, make new friends and visit a very pleasant city. As far as I know (and I've looked pretty hard), this is the only program of its kind in the US; there is also one in Canada and one in UK that I know of. I'm not associated with VCU and am sharing this information because it was a great experience for me. (Also of note: VSU psychiatry residency seems like a hidden gem.)

For more information on how to apply, see the attached file. Feel free to ask any questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2016 Summer Inst in Psych Brochure.pdf
    178.2 KB · Views: 113
When did you participate in this? After MS2, MS3?
I'm just finishing up MS3 and I was thinking of applying,
but I don't know how useful it would be for someone that already finished their core clerkships...
I'll be applying to VCU this fall anyway, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get to know the place a little...

I went to the Institute last summer and loved it. It was a great way to learn more about psychiatry, make new friends and visit a very pleasant city. As far as I know (and I've looked pretty hard), this is the only program of its kind in the US; there is also one in Canada and one in UK that I know of.
howard has also had a summer program for several years. in the UK there are quite a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you participate in this? After MS2, MS3?
I'm just finishing up MS3 and I was thinking of applying,
but I don't know how useful it would be for someone that already finished their core clerkships...
I'll be applying to VCU this fall anyway, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to get to know the place a little...
Hey, sorry for not replying earlier: I'm on a very busy medicine clerkship now.

I went to the Institute between MS1 and MS2, and I believe it's the best time to go - when you're just probing your interests and starting to learn about psychiatry. That said, among my co-attendees there were also students after their MS2 and MS3, and they said the experience was great and very useful for them, too. The post-MS3 student was already set on applying to Psychiatry but thought the Institute helped in solidifying her decision and broadening her view of Psychiatry/career options within the specialty.

If you're planning to apply to VCU, I think you should go, as long as you have time and don't mind traveling to Richmond (some of my co-attendees travelled from as far as West coast and Canada). You'll have an opportunity to shmoose with the PD and other faculty (who are all very approachable - at least the ones we met), as well as residents, and I'm pretty sure they'll remember you come application time. You'll also be able to take a look at the program and the city and ask lots of questions in a nonrushed, low pressure environment (vs interview day). I really see no reason for you not to go, unless yoi have other committments.

Whatever the Betty Ford Institute is now calling itself has a short program (1-2 weeks) in the summer. I've met a few folks who went and spoke highly of it. These things are great for lighting the fires of potential psychiatrists.

Now that I think of it, University of Pittsburgh/WPIC also has a one-week addiction focused summer program for medical students, but that's all I know about it.

Seems like a way for VCU to lure in new recruits -- not suggesting that this is an inherently bad thing.

How competitive is this summer program? I saw that it only accepts around 12 students. I would imagine they get a ton of applicants?

Seems like a way for VCU to lure in new recruits -- not suggesting that this is an inherently bad thing.
That was my impression ;) But like you said, not that there is anything wrong with that, especially considering that the program does have a lot to offer.
How competitive is this summer program? I saw that it only accepts around 12 students. I would imagine they get a ton of applicants?
Based on the fact that 7/11 students at the institute last year were from VCU or surrounding schools in VA, my impression is that the program was not very competitive (at least as of last year), mostly because 1) there are not that many students interested in psychiatry to begin with, and they tend to be more relaxed as far as looking for student opportunities in psychiatry compared to students interested in competitive specialties (i.e. unlike, say, Derm and ENT students interested in psychiatry generally don't *need* to go out of their way to start putting psychiatry-related things on their resume as early as MS1; I talked to some of psychiatry applicants from my school - and my school has a reputation for competitive, tightly wound students - and asked them what psych-related activities and research they had done, and they were like, what research? What activities? I just volunteered at the community clinic a couple of times and wrote a case report based on my psych rotation - and these are people who matched to some of the most competitive programs); 2) even fewer people know about the program - which is why I posted the information here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Good to know that the program is somewhat accessible and that psych folks aren't too cut-throat. Thanks again

do it if you can get accepted. also went between ms1 and ms2. they pay for accomodation and get to dine/wine with their PD and residents. why the heck would pass on that. all they ask for is applying to them for residency bc their resident quality is somewhat lacking hopefully that's getting better. they seems like a decent place. certainly nice infrastructure.

Let me just plug something for UCSD. They have a great research in psychiatry program for minorities that's 10 weeks long. They provide round trip airfare, mentorship, room, a stipend, weekly lectures and exposure to a variety of clinical settings.

https://psychiatry.ucsd.edu/educati...Pages/SummerPsychiatryResearchFellowship.aspx

I'm not affiliated with UCSD, but this was a terrific experience and the people were literally the nicest physicians I've ever met.

Reactions: 1 user