VCU , U of maryland or u of Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fieryblossom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got accepted into VCU, UMb and U of L and i'm trying to figure out which school to choose. Can u guys give me any feedback on the pros and cons of these schools? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i just got accepted into VCU, UMb and U of L and i'm trying to figure out which school to choose. Can u guys give me any feedback on the pros and cons of these schools? thanks!

which one's ur state school? go to the cheapest, there's no major differences b/w them..except i think MD is more research based and the other 2 clinical..

none.. i'm an illinois resident but didn't aply here....
Is the standard of living affordable in VCU?

Members don't see this ad :)
none.. i'm an illinois resident but didn't aply here....
Is the standard of living affordable in VCU?

it is def affordable...i have a lot of money left over that i didn't use from financial aid...i'm paying a little over 500/mo for an apt w/ garage parking...and there are a bunch of lunch and learns (free lunch!) hahah..i don't know how the cost of living compares to the other cities though..hope that helps a little..

I liked VCU way better out of Louisville and VCU. I can't speak for maryland

which one's ur state school? go to the cheapest, there's no major differences b/w them..except i think MD is more research based and the other 2 clinical..

I don't know if I would consider UMaryland as "research-based." Sure, there are plenty of opportunities if you're interested, but it doesn't bring down our clinical program whatsoever.

To the OP: I would consider price, atmosphere of school, and location into your decision. All schools have high graduation rates. There really isn't a loser.

Congrats on all of your acceptances!

jb!:)

it is def affordable...i have a lot of money left over that i didn't use from financial aid...i'm paying a little over 500/mo for an apt w/ garage parking...and there are a bunch of lunch and learns (free lunch!) hahah..i don't know how the cost of living compares to the other cities though..hope that helps a little..

Is short pump one of the nicer places to live? Also ... is there much of a social life at VCU or not much to do in ur spare time?

Is short pump one of the nicer places to live? Also ... is there much of a social life at VCU or not much to do in ur spare time?

short pump is very nice..about 20-25 mins away..not sure about the prices out there, but it's beautiful...there is a ton to do..clubs downtown (about 10 min walk from the dschool), intramural sports, my favorite bowling!, movies, etc...

All three are really good options IMO. However, I am most familiar with Louisville since I have lived here for 3 years now. It's a nice place, very family friendly, reasonable cost of living, LOTS to do. No pro sports, but I tell you what Louisville is a party/sports town, they love their recreation here. You got the kentucky derby, the louisville bat factory, you got 5 NFL teams with 2-3 hours from Louisville, the big louisville vs. Kentucky rivalry in football/basketball...it's just a fun town to be in really.

As for the school, it's also has a very strong clinical program. If you want to be a clinician(which most do IMO) then Louisville is definitely one of the better schools in the nation. They have a very strong patient load and have a variety of procedures that you typically wouldn't see at other schools because of the vast patient base. They have full administrative staff(which is part of the reason tuition is so high for out of staters) which means you'll have minimal, arbitrary paperwork to do and you won't have to worry about collections. The clinic is getting renovated soon, not sure when they plan to start, but I've heard it's really soon. The faculty are very accomodating and are fully invested into you to become a strong practicing clinician upon graduation.

You're in a good situation, I hope I've helped. Good luck with your decision making process.

short pump is very nice..about 20-25 mins away..not sure about the prices out there, but it's beautiful...there is a ton to do..clubs downtown (about 10 min walk from the dschool), intramural sports, my favorite bowling!, movies, etc...

If you go to VCU, you should join koochooloo's thurs nights bowling extravaganza!!