VCU () vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainsnitch52

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really stuck between VCU and Penn. I love both schools and I'm still debating which school to attend. I really don't want to consider cost because I will be taking out loans for both schools and my family will be able to help me pay the loans back. It's also because they really want me to choose a school that is right for me. Below, I have made a list of pros and cons for each school but I still have some questions.

Penn
Pros:
-Honors programs
-1 test/week
-Integrated curriculum (which will help cause my class will be the first to take the new board exam)
-LOVE LOVE LOVE the student body
-Dental school is right next to all the other schools
-Heavy emphasis on community service (this is a something that I know for sure I want to do in dental school)
-Philly is a beautiful city
Cons:
-Right now, it's not that clinically focused and while I want to practice general, I'm worried that I will not be prepared--although their new dean is very clinically focused so there may be new changes?

VCU
Pros:
-Clinically focused (the curriculum is to produce clinicians)
-Students help each other a lot
-Closer to home
-Big alumni network of VCU graduates where I live
Cons:
-Don't really like Richmond
-Curriculum is slowly changing and I have no idea how they're going to prepare the new students for the new board exam
-Didn't particularly have a good opinion of VCU during my interview
-Not much on community service

Also, if there are any students from either schools that are able to give their inputs on the schools, it will be greatly appreciated!! Like I said, I am leaning more toward general dentistry but it may change. I also just want to learn more about the clinical curriculum of both schools before I make any decisions. Thank you so much all for your help and inputs!!

Members don't see this ad.

What you wanna hear: Choose whichever one you wrote less cons for if your parents are paying for your school. Seems like you liked Penn way more

Is the 1 test per week standard as Penn? Does VCU do multiple tests per week?

Well tbh I say go to the cheapest even if your parents are paying for it. Going to Penn to be general seems odd based on what most people say on here.

@Life of Pablo can probably tell you a lot about Penn

I have a friend at VCU and 4-5 people have already dropped from their class. Don’t know the specifics for why each person dropped, but yeah it seemed like a lot to me.

The new dean is definitely more clinically focused. There’s talks about the incoming class starting to treat patients second semester D2 year. Not sure the exact details, but yeah they’re definitely trying to make the school more clinically focused. Another positive I’d say about Penn is that they also help each other out a lot. Everyone is really collaborative because there really isn’t a ranking.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you wanna hear: Choose whichever one you wrote less cons for if your parents are paying for your school. Seems like you liked Penn way more

Is the 1 test per week standard as Penn? Does VCU do multiple tests per week?

Well tbh I say go to the cheapest even if your parents are paying for it. Going to Penn to be general seems odd based on what most people say on here.

@Life of Pablo can probably tell you a lot about Penn
Yes it’s 1 test a week no matter what. Sometimes there’s a quiz and a test, but that’s pretty rare. We also don’t have finals. Our “finals” is just another week with an exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I have the same decision as you except I don’t have the luxury of parent help. I’m not sure if you’re in state but if you are it’s like $200k cheaper which is significant even if your parents are helping. Tbh I liked Penn wayyy more during my interview than VCU but I have friends that go there now from undergrad and they absolutely love it (even though they weren’t a fan of Richmond at first either). Vcu has a great clinical program, you’ll come out a good GP, and I think they award top students with $$. I asked about the cirriculum changes at my interview and they’re definitely changing it be more integrated but you’re right on the fact that Penn has that more down pat...but, I’m sure students at both schools will pass the new boards just fine. I haven’t sent in my deposit yet cause I want to see what other people say but whatever you choose I’m sure you’ll thrive either way.

Our new dean is already making changes in the clinic, so by the time you're in clinic it strides will already have been made. If that was your only con for Penn, then it's already being worked on, so come to Penn! :)