VCU vs. Pittsburgh: Need advice on decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorbait1412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a call from Dr. Etzel today from the University of Pittsburgh, informing me of my acceptance into the class of 2015. I withdrew from NYU and have also been accepted to VCU. Anyone have any advice? I would appreciate some feedback on these schools to help me make a decision. I have to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Pitt is a great school - I chose it over Columbia a few years ago, and now that I'm finishing up my second year, I definitely don't regret it.

I really don't know much about VCU, but I'm sure it's a quality school as well. The thing is, either school will be fine, and you'll likely be happy at either as well. During your interviews, which do you think you liked better? I had exactly a week to decide between schools, and it was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but in the end I found that I knew my answer all along, and just went with my gut.

Pitt takes boards after year 1, which I find better so that you can more focus on dentistry during your second year instead of taking more science classes, though possibly making the first year a little more difficult because of the front loading. I think the clinical faculty is really amazing, and each class has a real sense of family since we're small/medium sized at 80.

I've written in many posts about Pitt, search and I'm sure you'll find more details, let me know if you have any other questions!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a call from Dr. Etzel today from the University of Pittsburgh, informing me of my acceptance into the class of 2015. I withdrew from NYU and have also been accepted to VCU. Anyone have any advice? I would appreciate some feedback on these schools to help me make a decision. I have to make a decision soon. Thanks.

I agree with Vic...you'll prolly be happy at either school. I'm finishing up my second year at VCU. I'm very happy with the school. We also have the option of taking boards after 1st year, but we are not forced to do so if you don't feel ready. I think about half my class took it with me after D1. My biggest like about VCU is that we are very clinically based. You have a drill in your hand from day 1. You're doing injections and seeing hygiene patients your second semester. They make an effort to get you in clinic as quickly as possible. I'm not familiar with what other schools are doing time frame wise, but I'm pretty sure we get in clinic as quick or quicker than most.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with other schools so I can just give you info about VCU. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know!

Scotty

I am from Virginia and I attend Pitt. I loved Pitt from day one. I had visited VCU several times with the pre-dental society at UVA, and I liked it. I also met Dr. Healy a few times. The first time I applied to dental school, I didn't get in anywhere. I think a big reason was my DAT score (a 17) and how late I applied (I changed my mind from vet to dental my 3rd year at UVA.) I retook my DAT, did much better, got my GPA up, and got 5 interviews. I got into UNLV and Pitt in December. UNLV was way nicer weather, but Pitt was the one school where I left the interview day saying, "I really think I could be happy there." (Mind you, it was originally LAST on my list out of 19 schools. I interviewed at UNLV, VCU, NOVA, Tennessee, and Pitt. Despite all of those awesome locations, Pitt was the one place that I really got a good feeling.) I was put on VCU's "waitlist" (they don't like to call it that...the "alternate list"...) even after I did everything Dr. Healy asked me to do to make me a better applicant the second time around. I literally got a phone call from Healy the day I arrived in Pittsburgh for our June orientation. He was offering me a spot. Talk about bad timing! I asked to have the weekend to decide. After meeting and spending 2 days with my Pitt classmates, there was no question. It was the perfect fit for me. The only thing pulling me towards VCU was in-state tuition. However, I ended up receiving the Navy HPSP scholarship, so it was not an issue. It was hard to turn down a school 2 hours from home, but I had to go with my heart. In fact, that is something Dr. Healy told us all the day of our interview..every school is going to be good, and they will all have their positives and negatives, but in the end, you just have to listen to your heart. I'm only finishing my first year, but after a semester with 27 credits, I can tell you that dental school is way harder than I could have ever imagined. Being happy with your location (even if it's wayyy too cold!) and surrounded by amazing people is what makes it do-able. For me, Pitt offered the kinda classmates tha made me feel like family. Best of luck with your decision! Please feel free to contact me if you would like! : )

Lauren
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Class of 2014

Reactions: 1 users
Which is cheaper? If there's a substantial difference, go to the cheaper school. You'll be a well trained dentist after 4 years with a lot less debt hung around your neck.