VCU vs UND (WL) vs Minnesota Duluth (WL) vs Tufts - Maine Track (deferred/WL/R?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted959484

Might be a little too early to do this but just curious on people’s thoughts anyways. Interested in full scope/rural family medicine, sports medicine, PM&R, occupational medicine, or ortho if I really want to try for something competitive... SO will be moving with me and she is a nurse so not concerned about finding job for her.

VCU
Pros
  • only acceptance so far
  • like the location, lots to do outdoors
  • family friends in the area
  • lots of residency programs based at the school

Cons
  • out of state tuition...
  • far away from home (ND)

UND
Pros
  • my state school
  • cheap
  • great exposure to rural medicine
  • possible opportunity to continue ski patrolling

Cons
  • have to travel around the state for rotations
  • possibly limiting if I decide to go a different route (lack of school based residency programs)
  • boring location
Minnesota Duluth
Pros
  • great exposure to rural medicine
  • clinical experiences and research with main twin cities campus
  • school based residencies in most specialties
  • awesome location for outdoor activities
  • semi close to home (ND)

Cons
  • out of state tuition
  • maybe limiting in specialty with such as rural focus?

Tufts - Maine Track
Pros
  • highest ranked school
  • specialty and residency exposure
  • Maine is awesome

Cons
  • most expensive...
  • lots of transitions from first year in Boston, moving to Maine, and possible travel back to Boston for rotations
  • far away from home

Overall, unless I get off the waitlists I'll be going to VCU and I'm pretty stoked about it. I know that I am not looking at super competitive specialties but I also don't want to limited if I end up changing my mind and want to try for something more competitive. Would love to hear some thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
All programs can set you up in rural programs. I'd usually say the cheapest option but this is a case where I might pay extra (depends on the COA difference) for a nicer area (ie: Maine). A lot depends on where you'd like to practice too (rural midwest vs rural northeast).

Portland area is incredible and Maine Med is a great place to do clinical rotations. It’s much busier than you’d expect, because it draws from a large cachement area. Portland has terrific restaurants and cultural stuff, and it’s nice being close to both beach and skiing.

All programs can set you up in rural programs. I'd usually say the cheapest option but this is a case where I might pay extra (depends on the COA difference) for a nicer area (ie: Maine). A lot depends on where you'd like to practice too (rural midwest vs rural northeast).
I would actually like to end up practicing in the mountain west/Rocky Mountain region. I completed undergrad in Montana and we have a family cabin there as well. Would med school choice really limit me from practice there?

I would actually like to end up practicing in the mountain west/Rocky Mountain region. I completed undergrad in Montana and we have a family cabin there as well. Would med school choice really limit me from practice there?
im not expert but in that case, nope. Can't imagine too many physicians are dying to practice in Montana. Just set your away rotations up right!