Vcu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the percentage acceptance rate post-interview for VCU? Also could anybody throw in some pros/cons about the school please? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

depends if you're IS or OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i'm pretty sure this year they are planning on interviewing about 650-700 applicants for ~180 spots total, 80 of which are OOS. I don't have the MSAR in front of me, so I'm not sure how many OOS applicants they interview...

here's to hopin march 15th is good to us non-virginians...

Well i'm pretty sure this year they are planning on interviewing about 650-700 applicants for ~180 spots total, 80 of which are OOS. I don't have the MSAR in front of me, so I'm not sure how many OOS applicants they interview...

here's to hopin march 15th is good to us non-virginians...

Thanks for the response Darwin. What is on March 15th? Is that the day the waitlist moves?

March 15th is the day they release their next batch of acceptances.

ahhhh gotcha ;) Do you guys know if they will also release acceptances on march 15 for people who interview late february? Thanks for your responses

March 15th is when they give out the last batch of acceptances to people who are either still on hold from previous dates or interviewed in Jan. and Feb. (so that means you too instigata)...i believe its also when they formulate their waitlist.

may 15th is when the waitlist starts to move as people holding more than 1 acceptance have to withdraw from all but 1 school

you'll hear all this stuff in detail when you go on your interview. good luck!

You are correct about the waitlist formation on March 15. I've heard there are about 45 more seats to offer to IS/OOS students.

Does anybody know the percentage acceptance rate post-interview for VCU?

Last year they had 4,068 OOS applicants for 368 interviews, so you made the tough cut. Of those they interview, they accept 180. So it's just about 50%. Nicely done...

Last year they had 4,068 OOS applicants for 368 interviews, so you made the tough cut. Of those they interview, they accept 180. So it's just about 50%. Nicely done...

Wow thanks for the stats notdeadyet. Btw, how did your interviews go?

I had a great experience, really nice guy, just chatted for an hour....

but I also wonder if the interview pulls less weight at VCU because afterwards they show your app to the committee, your interviewer is your advocate and they discuss and score you 1-5....

Wow thanks for the stats notdeadyet. Btw, how did your interviews go?
Went well, thanks. UIC/UCSF down, UVM to go. Hope you hear back all kinds of good news from all your post-interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
How would that mean that the interview pulled less weight? And where did you hear about the scoring?

look up any vcu threads, every individual on the admissions committee scores you and the average is what determines whether you get an acceptance, a waitlist, or a rejection. The dean also explains this process to you when you go interview.

I would think it means your interview pulls less weight because of the objective nature of the numerical scoring and the averages... but then I guess other schools do that as well.

How would that mean that the interview pulled less weight? And where did you hear about the scoring?

They tell you about the scoring system at the interview. Basically after you are presented to the adcom by your interviewer, all 30 or so members of the adcom score you from 1-5 (1 being the best) and then they average your score. I think last year the highest (worst) score that was given an offer was something like 2.47. So it seems you need mostly 2s to get in.

I think the weight of the interview might just vary from adcom member to adcom member...some might choose to disregard the interviewers input and base their score on the rest of the app and some might be swayed heavily by what the interviewer has to say. Hard to predict though

They tell you about the scoring system at the interview. Basically after you are presented to the adcom by your interviewer, all 30 or so members of the adcom score you from 1-5 (1 being the best) and then they average your score. I think last year the highest (worst) score that was given an offer was something like 2.47. So it seems you need mostly 2s to get in.

ouch, 2.47....

seems tough

Not quite - Only 80 of the seats are set aside for OOS, dropping the success rate for you guys down to 21%

I think the weight of the interview might just vary from adcom member to adcom member...some might choose to disregard the interviewers input and base their score on the rest of the app and some might be swayed heavily by what the interviewer has to say. Hard to predict though

Last yrs straight offers were right at 2. Someone asked that ? during our meeting with the dean. The remaining seats will go to the low scores from the last batch. As for the waitlist don't believe the rumor that 50% of the class comes from the waitlist. Listen to Pug as far as OOS, you are either a rock star or you have a connection to the school, post-bacc etc. MCV is really stressing numbers more and more over the last couple of yrs. Most of my instate friends who got in (including off the waitlist) were 3.5 or better and 31 or better. Good or bad that is the trend.

Not quite - Only 80 of the seats are set aside for OOS, dropping the success rate for you guys down to 21%
No, it's about 50%. They have 368 OOS interviews for 180 OOS acceptances. 80 is the number of actual OOS matriculants.

No, it's about 50%. They have 368 OOS interviews for 180 OOS acceptances. 80 is the number of actual OOS matriculants.

That is impossible they told us they were interviewing 650, down from last yr which was higher bc of the computer generated interview offers. If you got an interview this yr you made even tougher standards. MCV did not interview more out of state than instate. I think you have your numbers flipped. Sorry.

MCV did not interview more out of state than instate. I think you have your numbers flipped. Sorry.
I don't think so. Here are the numbers (unflipped) from USN&WR:

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 4,877 685 368 184
In-state: 809 317 188 104
Out-of-state: 4,068 368 180 80
Women: 2,416 342 192 89
Minorities: 1,604 224 160 76
International: N/A N/A N/A N/A

Maybe US News made an error, but I doubt it. According to this, VCU interviewed a few more in-state than out of state. Keep in mind they are from last year. Could be very different this year.

You aren't interviewing for 180 OOS acceptances. Theoretically you could interview for 80 OOS acceptances, or even 368 OOS acceptances. This number is completely dependant of the number of applicants that get multiple acceptances and may choose to pursue other schools.

So unless you can predict the final decisions of the first 80 that are offered acceptances, you are pissing in the wind. Around 20% or 1 of 5 interviewed OOS applicants will actually matriculate, and a higher percentage will be offered acceptances. That's the only statistic based on factual information.

Although I'm sure all of you OOS'ers wouldnt mind the first 288 OOS acceptances being turned away for other schools resulting in 100% acceptance rate under the quoted logic.

Woops - My post, wrong name! Just seeing if it was available, didn't know I was logged in with it.

Around 20% or 1 of 5 interviewed OOS applicants will actually matriculate, and a higher percentage will be offered acceptances. That's the only statistic based on factual information.
Your logic totally lost me, but don't sweat it on my account. I'm probably just easily confused..

Personally, when I interview at a med school, I don't care about my or anyone's odds of matriculating. I care about my odds of being offered an acceptance. According to VCU's data, the odds of an OOS interviewee being accepted are about 50%.

I'm not sure why you or any applicant would care about the percentage of interviewees that matriculate. I'm sure the school cares, but as an applicant, I just want to get offered the acceptance. That's why instigata was looking for the percentage accepted, not the percentage matriculating.

I'm not sure why you or any applicant would care about the percentage of interviewees that matriculate.

It's the only thing you can accurately predict because each year they have a set number of interviews and a set number of available seats. The amt of acceptances they offer can vary WIDELY depending on whether or not the students decide to accept VCU seats. If last year's stats were 50%, then 50% it was. But please don't assume you have a coin flip's chance, because last year's 180 acceptances could easily drop closer to 100 if VCU has done a good job at attracting students.

It's the only thing you can accurately predict because each year they have a set number of interviews and a set number of available seats.
Ah! I think I see what you mean now. You're saying that lots of 180 acceptances they handed out last year could have been done post-05/15, when folks started withdrawing for the sake of other schools? That makes sense.

Sorry, Dr. Pug, I'm just dense today. Now I see what you were getting at...

It seems like the worst score to get an acceptance stays right around a the mid 2's. The year before last it was around a 2.3 and the year before that a 2.7, if memory serves me correctly.

The interview does matter a whole lot in distinguishing between candidates. So your application is projected onto a screen so that all present adcom members can see it. They look over it and your 2 advocates, interviewer and file reviewer (guy who scored your primary/secondary to get you an interview) begin to talk. The adcom picks apart your app and the advocates help defend you. They can really sway the adcom's perception of you so even with poor numbers you can get in. Plus the high and low scores are thrown out so if you stats rub one person the wrong way it will not really affect your score.

Personally I feel that the interview is given more weight at MCV despite being very laid back. This is one of the reasons you see such a wide range of scores in the matriculants, from people with high 30s MCATs and near 4.0s to people with mid 20 MCATs with 3.0s.

Sorry, Dr. Pug, I'm just dense today. Now I see what you were getting at...

Dont sweat it - I was a bit off on my first response as well. Just dont want anyone having false hopes. I've declared myself an expert in VCU false hopes!

Don't worry notdeadyet I was also a bit confused but understand what pugmd was talking about at the same post you did :) Thanks for all the info (darwin, pugmd, notdead, instatewaiter, and bleu)!

Thanks for the info, Instatewaiter! It's great to know how the admissions committee reviews our file. It makes me nervous to think that my application is going to be on a big screen with many extremely well-qualified people picking it apart.

Does anyone know if the priority score gets higher as the application year goes on? like in march, is it harder to get in (the cut off) than it is in october or dec?

So if I haven't heard about an interview by now, I should probably consider my chances at VCU to be pretty much over?

Does anyone know if the priority score gets higher as the application year goes on? like in march, is it harder to get in (the cut off) than it is in october or dec?

No actually I think it is easier in march. How Dr H described to me last year was that at each successive acceptance date the scores accepted goes up (ie poorer scores are accepted). So if you have already gone to the committee you still have a good shot. If however you haven't gotten an interview yet, you probably are out of luck. I believe VCU ends interviewing in the middle/end of February.

So if I haven't heard about an interview by now, I should probably consider my chances at VCU to be pretty much over?

I got invited for an interview today 2/18 - I know, Saturday......that's crazy. I was already accepted to a school higher on my priority list, so I'll probably turn down the interview and withdraw.

I got invited for an interview today 2/18 - I know, Saturday......that's crazy. I was already accepted to a school higher on my priority list, so I'll probably turn down the interview and withdraw.

I just got the message about possibly being able to schedule an interview (i.e. the committee is still interested in considering my file further, but it's not sure if there will be enough spaces...). I'm not sure if it will pan out or not, though it's better than getting outright rejected. Did you end up getting that message or just an invitation to interview?

I just got the message about possibly being able to schedule an interview (i.e. the committee is still interested in considering my file further, but it's not sure if there will be enough spaces...). I'm not sure if it will pan out or not, though it's better than getting outright rejected. Did you end up getting that message or just an invitation to interview?

I received a message like that and was invited for an interview a couple of weeks later. I created a thread about that message and basically got mixed reactions from people. Some received interview the day after, some months after, and some still waiting (rejected?) after receiving that message. So it really doesn't mean much.

email, snail, or status page? Im STILL getting the dead in the water treatment from them.

email, snail, or status page? Im STILL getting the dead in the water treatment from them.

All messages go through their status page. You will receive an email that your status page has been updated right after they update it.

what are the stats for instate applicants post interview? ie: how many ppl get accepted vs. how many they interview?

also, did anyone else hear a rumor they were accepting 80 ppl in march? someone said in another forum that they heard it directly from the dean during their interview.

All messages go through their status page. You will receive an email that your status page has been updated right after they update it.

and the wait goes on.... (cue tumbleweeds, crickets, etc)

I got the maybe message back in early December, right about the timeline that they said I should hear back from them. Then I waited and waited and went to my other interviews, and now I finally hear back.