VCU's essay...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so the essay where you spend 500-600 words talking about yourself...wtf. What do we talk about? I just feel like it's a 'rant'. I began talking about my family, then my friends, then how athletics has been a big part of my life and development...so? Is there a right/wrong here? It just seems weird.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote my essay on cooking if I remember correctly.

Sorry, I guess what I'm saying is that there is no right or wrong here. Write about anything that you feel is appropriate and probably not mentioned to much in the rest of your application. Any new information you can bring to the table is probably positive (assuming you don't write about a criminal charge or something of that nature).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm basically talking about my family, friends, and hobbies and throwing in anecdotes that make me look like a compassionate dbag.

Ahh yes, the coveted compassionate dbag. Best of luck to you!

Well, most pre-meds are dbags. At least I'm honest about it, and more importantly, at least I'm compassionate.

They asked for us to show a personal side of us so that is exactly what I gave them. I told them about my rare and unique culture, my love for music and what I did in my life that I really enjoyed.. like play in the Yankee Day Ticker Tape Parade of 98 =D (behind Torre's float for that!)

I can honestly say I enjoyed writing this one and I looked at more from a diary entry POV rather than from a damn I gotta make myself look good POV.

But that's easier said than done sometimes.

... uh.. I don't keep a diary but I'm sayin if I did..

that's how I would look at it! yea

ah yes, this is my lovely essay about how i had to stand on a chair and give a welcoming speech to groups of incoming freshmen and their parents for my summer job. and how i saw one of those freshmen out one night and was greeted by, "you were the girl on the chair!" i SWEAR i related it to medicine and how it will make me a better doctor, but i can just see my interviewer (if im lucky enough to be interviewed) ask me to stand on a chair.

after that essay, i refuse to let myself write secondary responses at 2 in the morning.