Are letters coming from VE and Interfolio considered as a committee
letter? My school uses VirtualEvals and I was wondering if I must list
the names of my recommenders?

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Interfolio doesn't combine your LORs, so I'm assuming this wouldn't be a committee letter. Unless, for some odd reason, you sent a committee letter to Interfolio... I don't know anything about VE, though.

OP
in4mant

in4mant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
VirtualEvals is a secure, web-based system through which health professions advisors can transmit letters of evaluation to health professions schools.

VirtualEvals is designed to improve the efficiency with which letters of evaluation are transmitted by undergraduate schools (senders) as well as the efficiency with which they are received and processed in admissions offices at health professions schools (receivers). In most cases, senders find that using VirtualEvals is also less costly than transmitting letters using conventional means.

What Happens at the Undergraduate School?

On the sending side, VirtualEvals is a simple system that works as follows:

Senders

* Save as a PDF the document you would normally send for an applicant.
* Create a simple record for the applicant in VirtualEvals.
* Attach to that record the schools to which the applicant is applying.
* Upload the PDF of letters to the record of the applicant.

When the PDF is uploaded, an email is sent automatically to the applicant to let him/her know that the letters have been made available to designated schools. Included in that email, is a list of schools that have been attached to the applicant record by the advisor.

It is important to understand that applicants do not have access to VirtualEvals. Only the senders and receivers can access VirtualEvals.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status
Attending Physician
If VE is what your premedical advisory committee uses to mail off their combined letter, then yes, but if not then it is not considered a comittee letter. And Interfolio is never considered a committee letter.

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
well it is different for different med schools. i know of georgetowns secondary they tell you to mark committee letter if you are using a collection service. if the school isn't clear about what they consider it (i know a lot that only have the committe option and the 3 individual letter option) then call them up and ask them.

---edit: GU doesn't view it as a "committee letter" but they don't see it as individual letters either. a lot of times they give the two options so they know when to view your file as complete

OP
in4mant

in4mant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
doctajay said:
If VE is what your premedical advisory committee uses to mail off their combined letter, then yes, but if not then it is not considered a comittee letter. And Interfolio is never considered a committee letter.
My school has a pre-med commitee but does not write committee letters.
Instead, they collect letters from our recommenders and enter them into the virtualevals system (and sends them out as one pdf file).
So I guess it's considered a committee letter b/c that's the only kind of letter they can send.

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
in4mant said:
My school has a pre-med commitee but does not write committee letters.
Instead, they collect letters from our recommenders and enter them into the virtualevals system (and sends them out as one pdf file).
So I guess it's considered a committee letter b/c that's the only kind of letter they can send.
Right, mine was the same way (perhaps it's the same school?) On my secondaries, instead of listing individual recommenders, or saying I had a committee letter, I said that I was submitting a "letter packet". That's what the lady at the office told me to do, and I had no trouble with it.

OP
in4mant

in4mant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
thinknofu3 said:
Right, mine was the same way (perhaps it's the same school?) On my secondaries, instead of listing individual recommenders, or saying I had a committee letter, I said that I was submitting a "letter packet". That's what the lady at the office told me to do, and I had no trouble with it.
I go to a different school.