VE & Updated Letters - send now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TupacalipseT96

R U Still Down?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after finding out that HMS requires letters from all PI's, I've requested 2 more letters that are in the process of being written/sent.

In the meantime, my AMCAS is verified and the original letter packet has been received. So AMCAS just needs me to re-submit after assigning letters for the schools to receive my letter packet.

BUT, I have been hesitating on re-submitting AMCAS because I'm waiting for these 2 more letters to come in (even though schools have been sending me emails saying they're waiting on my letters).

What would you do? Submit with the partial letter packet (4 letters), or wait X amount fo time for these 2 letters from PI's to come in to submit?

Problem with waiting is...waiting.
Problem with submitting now is I'll probably have to follow up with every school to make sure they know there are more letters to be accessed in a few weeks.

fyi this is all through Virtual Evals.

Any insight appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So after finding out that HMS requires letters from all PI's, I've requested 2 more letters that are in the process of being written/sent.

In the meantime, my AMCAS is verified and the original letter packet has been received. So AMCAS just needs me to re-submit after assigning letters for the schools to receive my letter packet.

BUT, I have been hesitating on re-submitting AMCAS because I'm waiting for these 2 more letters to come in (even though schools have been sending me emails saying they're waiting on my letters).

What would you do? Submit with the partial letter packet (4 letters), or wait X amount fo time for these 2 letters from PI's to come in to submit?

Problem with waiting is...waiting.
Problem with submitting now is I'll probably have to follow up with every school to make sure they know there are more letters to be accessed in a few weeks.

fyi this is all through Virtual Evals.

Any insight appreciated.

Hmm wait let me see if I get it:

you're already verified by AMCAS? And have been getting secondaries and such, right? Can't you add letters whenever you want to? I know HMS works through the AMCAS service, so I'd suggest you submit everywhere (including HMS) with the 4 you have now, and then submit "extras" later, once you get the other two. It'll be a bigger pain, but according to my pre-med adviser it's actually strategically pretty smart: if they're stuck and can't make a decision or haven't looked at your file in a while, they'll be reminded of your existence with the extra letters and will re-consider (hopefully) your file.

Anywho, my 2 cents.

Hmm wait let me see if I get it:

you're already verified by AMCAS? And have been getting secondaries and such, right? Can't you add letters whenever you want to? I know HMS works through the AMCAS service, so I'd suggest you submit everywhere (including HMS) with the 4 you have now, and then submit "extras" later, once you get the other two. It'll be a bigger pain, but according to my pre-med adviser it's actually strategically pretty smart: if they're stuck and can't make a decision or haven't looked at your file in a while, they'll be reminded of your existence with the extra letters and will re-consider (hopefully) your file.

Anywho, my 2 cents.

Thanks for the 2cents LET.

In the time between me posting this thread, it failing miserably, and you now responding, I already re-submitted my AMCAS with LoE's assigned to every school except Harvard.

You make a good point about submitting now and then sending extra letters later to remind them (though I dont think it quite works with HMS since my file is technically incomplete there w/o these 2 'extra' letters).I'm gonna wait to see if my letter writers make any progress this weekend and then decide if I want to continue to wait to submit for harvard or to do what you said.

And all your assumptions were right... but, I'm not sure if I add letters later and re-submit AMCAS, do schools automatically get notified? Or do I then have to call each school and make sure they know to download all my letters again?

Thanks for the 2cents LET.

In the time between me posting this thread, it failing miserably, and you now responding, I already re-submitted my AMCAS with LoE's assigned to every school except Harvard.

You make a good point about submitting now and then sending extra letters later to remind them (though I dont think it quite works with HMS since my file is technically incomplete there w/o these 2 'extra' letters).I'm gonna wait to see if my letter writers make any progress this weekend and then decide if I want to continue to wait to submit for harvard or to do what you said.

And all your assumptions were right... but, I'm not sure if I add letters later and re-submit AMCAS, do schools automatically get notified? Or do I then have to call each school and make sure they know to download all my letters again?

Hm well I do remember at least a couple of applications asking me if I was planning on sending a packet, individual letters, or both...so I guess in your case you could just check the box for the latter option. Otherwise, I'd call the schools when the letters are ready regardless, just in case. You never know!