This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I work? (32/single Anesthesia Attending)

• Miami

• Las Vegas

• San Diego

• Texas

• Somewhere else in Florida

• Somewhere else in Cali

• Somewhere else in USA

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnesthesiaLife

Take a deep breath for me
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Major city/fun/younger crowd
(But not too expensive cost of living)
2. Warm weather
3. Big hospital, private practice
4. Good incentives (Salary/lower income tax) to pay off loans
5. Collegiality/Comradery
6. Non partnership track

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_9163.JPG
    IMG_9163.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 109
Also looking for a variety of cases to build independence and skills - not a surgery center

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay outta CA. Too much tax burden and too high of COL to be here unless you have to be here. NV or Texas are good options. Focus on the states with no state income tax and decent malpractice reform. FL doesn't sound like the best practice environment (see also: AMC wasteland). Since you're single, I would actually advocate for a BFE job with a solid amount of vacation. Work hard/play hard. Bust your butt for 3 weeks a month and fly somewhere fun the 4th week - rinse/repeat. Girl in every port.

Reactions: 3 users
North Dakota. Go crush it for as long as you can stand, then return to civilization.

North Dakota. Go crush it for as long as you can stand, then return to civilization.

I think North Dakota may be a myth. My buddy and I were at an echo course and we are talking to 2 anesthesiologists from ND. They were making less than us AND supervising. Not all practices there are gold plated.

If you're single (with no kids or other obligations) you ought to explore your fun/dating options in proper civilization now... I'm from Los Angeles and went to undergrad in San Diego - and let me tell you I miss both of those places every day whilest I'm slaving away on the frigid east coast. So I say you ought to go to either Los Angeles or San Diego ASAP. Downsides are state income tax and cost of living - although renting isn't quite as bad as buying. Upsides are amazing weather, beautiful dating options, the beach, casual lifestyle, and amazing Mexican food.

San Diego has basically one big non AMC private practice group and a couple smaller ones. And LA is all over the place with lots of options. My socal friends are all happy with their arrangements...

Have you thought about San Luis Obispo or Santa Cruz?

Miami is another exciting idea - one with no state income tax... but with humidity and hurricanes.

As you have no other obligations, paying off loans anywhere shouldn't be too difficult as long as you're at least semi fiscally responsible.

If you're single (with no kids or other obligations) you ought to explore your fun/dating options in proper civilization now... I'm from Los Angeles and went to undergrad in San Diego - and let me tell you I miss both of those places every day whilest I'm slaving away on the frigid east coast. So I say you ought to go to either Los Angeles or San Diego ASAP. Downsides are state income tax and cost of living - although renting isn't quite as bad as buying. Upsides are amazing weather, beautiful dating options, the beach, casual lifestyle, and amazing Mexican food.

San Diego has basically one big non AMC private practice group and a couple smaller ones. And LA is all over the place with lots of options. My socal friends are all happy with their arrangements...

Have you thought about San Luis Obispo or Santa Cruz?

Miami is another exciting idea - one with no state income tax... but with humidity and hurricanes.

As you have no other obligations, paying off loans anywhere shouldn't be too difficult as long as you're at least semi fiscally responsible.

I agree, if you stay single and don't buy a huge house or crazy expensive car you should be able to pay off your loans easily no matter where you are. So keep the focus on fun.

Don't give away all our secret, sanluis obispo
Carpinteria beach

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Miami and don't look back.

San Diego if you can get a good job.love that place.

Austin and Nashville are a helluva lot of fun.

Edit: Forgot Denver/Boulder. Should 100000% be considered as well.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh, Nashville, Denver, Gainesville, Tampa, Austin, Jackson/Tupelo/Hattiesburg/Coastal MS. The MS jobs- great pay, low cost of living means you have more to spend on travel, and are close to "cooler" mid-larger cities.

Hands down Miami. But no need to live like a tourist and drop $500+ for bottle service every week at a club. Live in Brickell/Downtown/The beach. Enjoy the pool and BBQ'ing outside in February.

1. Major city/fun/younger crowd
(But not too expensive cost of living)
2. Warm weather
3. Big hospital, private practice
4. Good incentives (Salary/lower income tax) to pay off loans
5. Collegiality/Comradery
6. Non partnership track

you have defined your goals for the job but what about for your life?

kids? marriage? culture? time off?

the list you made would be a list that i made when i was 21. By 32, ive got to get on with my life plan, im not going to dick around in the sunshine having BBQs while the true joys in life pass me by. Reflect on what you want when you are 40,50 and see how this job can be a launching pad to that.

And if your not ready to think about those serious things and just want to have fun, take a day job until you are ready for a career

you have defined your goals for the job but what about for your life?

kids? marriage? culture? time off?

the list you made would be a list that i made when i was 21. By 32, ive got to get on with my life plan, im not going to dick around in the sunshine having BBQs while the true joys in life pass me by. Reflect on what you want when you are 40,50 and see how this job can be a launching pad to that.

And if your not ready to think about those serious things and just want to have fun, take a day job until you are ready for a career

Sunshine and BBQs are true joys of life and they’re not exclusive of the other joys of life. I’m middle aged and appreciate them more than ever. I don’t consider it dicking around. You can raise families in sunny places. Millions of people do it. And as a physician you can do it pretty easily as long as your idea of happiness is not a 5000sf McMansion.

Everyone gets to choose their own priorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sunshine and BBQs are true joys of life and they’re not exclusive of the other joys of life. I’m middle aged and appreciate them more than ever.

Everyone gets to choose their own priorities.

i guess,

id take a family with lots of love, a practice with meaningful and respected work, time off, a location with culture my children can flourish in over sunshine and bbqs any day...i just personally cant relate to the above things being a priority in my job search at age 32 but to each their own

i guess,

id take a family with lots of love, a practice with meaningful and respected work, time off, a location with culture my children can flourish in over sunshine and bbqs any day...i just personally cant relate to the above things being a priority in my job search at age 32 but to each their own

You CAN do all this in sunny places. Lots of wonderful families where I am now. No different from where I grew up in the Midwest.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on the practice environment in Houston and Austin, TX? Tort reform is in place, tax burden is lower, and COL is good, although I am admittedly less familiar with the affordability of Austin. I don't know what the AMC landscape looks like in Houston, but I hear that it is going in the direction of group consolidation, with compensation still healthy.

As a single dude though, you cannot go wrong with Austin. Houston also is very diverse and has a little bit of everything you can want.

God bless Texas.