Verbal AAMC 3R: Got a 10.. how hard is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you guys rate the verbal on AAMC 3R. I just took it and got a 10 (44/60 raw score). Except, I found it really really really hard. I felt like I was running out of time the whole time.. except I had 6 minutes left at the end lol. I was so damn confused on almost every question...

I tried using EKs general idea strategy... except it just didn't seem to work. Dunno how I even got a 10 lol.

What were your experienced with 3R Verbal... and in comparison with the real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

My highest verbal score was on AAMC 3R. Also, many people think its the easiest of the practice tests...

Sorry to be a downer (sounds like you are hoping it might be harder than usual), but hey, you asked. :oops:

I think the verbal on 3r was slightly easy to spot on. Try not to be stressing about practice scores this early on (I'm assuming you're taking in March/April). Just keep practicing Verbal and you should see an improvement.

I suggest you pic up EK 101 if you haven't already. It's the best source of tons of verbal practice. :luck:

I think the verbal on 3r was slightly easy to spot on. Try not to be stressing about practice scores this early on (I'm assuming you're taking in March/April). Just keep practicing Verbal and you should see an improvement.

I suggest you pic up EK 101 if you haven't already. It's the best source of tons of verbal practice. :luck:

I'm actually taking the MCAT in August.. I've gotten EK 101.. I think the passages in EK 101 are easier and the questions are harder.

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 12 on the Verbal, but in the EK books, I don't think I've broken 10 yet. I'm very skeptical of the 3R in general. Verbal is generally my weakest area, and yet it was my highest score on the 3R, and I got a high score without doing much studying.

Personally, I found 3R harder than EK Verbal 101 so far. It might also be the fact that the first verbal passages I ever looked at for the MCAT was 3R. I know I left alot of correct answers on the test after reviewing. Also, I had not done any verbal reasoning in quite some time as well. I have noticed that after a doing a couple of practice tests and reviewing the question types and the pitfalls that trap you into wrong answers one can figure out the right answers fairly quickly except for a few hard ones. Now, I am working on the time per passage to make sure I can finish the 7 passages in the 60 minutes.

EK Verbal is a good source for tons of practice. I am going to use EK to get my strategy and practice down and then use AAMC tests to make sure I am where I need to be in the end. I want to be at my strongest when I use the AAMC tests because they are the closest representation to the actual MCAT. Lastly, my strategy is to actively read the passage first and get a good feel for the passage. Then, I answer the questions and only refer back to the passage when the questions specifically say "In lines 10-20, etc. It saves me time and I do not underline because I remember where things are in the passage and it take me too much time to do. Good luck! Practice makes perfect and make sure to really think about why you missed questions when reviewing. It can help narrow down questions really fast.

J Dub are you certain that the VR section will contain 7 passages? I remember coming across it on the AAMC site, but I have since been unable to locate it. The MCAT Student Manual, which doesn't appear to have been updated for the CBT, states that there will be "several passages." Kaplan practice exams only contain 6 passages. It would be nice to know for certain. Thanks!

J Dub are you certain that the VR section will contain 7 passages? I remember coming across it on the AAMC site, but I have since been unable to locate it. The MCAT Student Manual, which doesn't appear to have been updated for the CBT, states that there will be "several passages." Kaplan practice exams only contain 6 passages. It would be nice to know for certain. Thanks!

There was a previous thread in regards to how many passages on the new CBT MCAT Verbal section and from what it appears there will be seven passages in 60 minutes. The information can be found in the 2007 MCAT Essentials document. I also tried to email AAMC and get a confirmation on it, but they never responded back. I thought about calling them; however, I figured I would save the money and wait until a few people have taken the new CBT version. Lastly, I believe the new AAMC practice test 8-10 have seven passages on them. I have not bought them yet, but maybe someone can confirm. Read fast and comprehend well, my friend!

I found 3R to be really uncomfortable, but I was trying to focus as much as possible and go as fast as possible. I ended up with an 11 which is pretty much like I have been doing.

I got a 12 on the Verbal, but in the EK books, I don't think I've broken 10 yet. I'm very skeptical of the 3R in general. Verbal is generally my weakest area, and yet it was my highest score on the 3R, and I got a high score without doing much studying.

My highest verbal score on EK was 14. The volume of practice that you get with the EK 101 book is great. I also used TPR and a bit of Kaplan for a different take on the verbal aspect of the MCAT.

Ha! I read the thread title and thought you were saying that you had a 10 overall on the whole thing not just Verbal. You nearly gave me a heart attack. :laugh: :laugh:

To answer the original question, the VR was easier then the newer exams. I thought 5R's 10 question passage about art related topics and test 9 and 6R's verbal were the most brutal. 8 wasn't too bad and aamc 7 was a bit in between. A bit dense but better then 6R.