1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Verbal Advise !!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by birdboybird, 09.27.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. birdboybird

birdboybird 2+ Year Member

I was scoring 8/9 in verbal.... then I read Game of Thrones....I scored 10/11s after that

I read the first book in 1 week. ** then saw instant results.

No lie.
    Any questions?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Janus_Kinase

Janus_Kinase 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yup my scores increased as well after I read GoT. However I do not think you necessarily have to read that specific book, any enjoyable book will do.

4. csx

csx 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    50 shades of grey is what did it for me!

5. A7X

A7X Black Card Member 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not for the MCAT, but when I was taking my SAT, the only prep I did was reading the entire GoT ( ASOIAF) series, I scored an 800 on CR lol.

6. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor 5+ Year Member

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    Reading on a usual basis is important because it allows your brain to become familiar with text. The more familiar you become with text, the more comfortable you will be and the better your pacing. The MCAT verbal reasoning section is all about having just the right pace.

Uafl112 likes this.
  7. adr2be

adr2be 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Helps with the biological sciences section too huh!

8. Thyr0id

Thyr0id 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i got 3.5 weeks, time to read about 5 books.

9. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Also knowing the difference between words, such as "advice" and "advise". Ex. I advise you to seek advice on SDN.

Thyr0id likes this.
  10. Uafl112

Uafl112 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I read articles on the new yorker for 3 weeks, got comfortable with reading, and brought my MCAT verbal from a 5 to a 9-10. Scored a 9 on the real deal. Its all about being comfortable and genuinely having an interest in what you're reading. I know people who just read car magazines and sports articles casually but regularly, without touching any complex history or philosophy books, and they scored 11s on the real deal

Thyr0id likes this.

About the ads