verbal analysis help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cells4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice that when I do passages, I tend to analyze them wrong by extracting or drawing the wrong conclusion due to reading too fast, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to improve this. I know a lot of people suggest to read like articles but is there something specific that I should be gauging on? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi there!

i used to have the same issue! to improve, what i did is, i started to focus on just reading the passage!! while reading it, i didn't think about whats important and whats not. all i did is, did my best to get the main theme of the passage! and belive me or not, when i start answering the questions, i did much better! try this and let me know!! and just do more of the practice passages with the questions, don't bother with "other" articles!! -

RP
DO_class of 2017

I notice that when I do passages, I tend to analyze them wrong by extracting or drawing the wrong conclusion due to reading too fast, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to improve this. I know a lot of people suggest to read like articles but is there something specific that I should be gauging on? thanks

I think 90% of verbal is frame of mind. Train your mind to think about what the author is thinking about when writing.

Here is my advice: SLOW DOWN and read every single damn word of the passage. Don't pay importance to how long it takes you to read it at furst, but DO understand every single word of the passage. How long is it currently take you to read only the passage part (not the questions)? I'd say you should try to train yourself to read the passage in no more than 3.5 thereby leaving ~4.5 mins for the questions. Spinach Dip even suggests mouthing the words out as you go along. With time, your speeds will go up and your scores will increase as well. Practice, practice, practice! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there!

i used to have the same issue! to improve, what i did is, i started to focus on just reading the passage!! while reading it, i didn't think about whats important and whats not. all i did is, did my best to get the main theme of the passage! and belive me or not, when i start answering the questions, i did much better! try this and let me know!! and just do more of the practice passages with the questions, don't bother with "other" articles!! -

RP
DO_class of 2017
hey there thanksss for the adviceee..will def let try it and lef u know!!