Verbal Answer choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking several EK101 VRs, I've noticed that I can usually narrow down the answer choice down to two answers, but approximately 75% of the time I pick the wrong answer. Anybody have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

After taking several EK101 VRs, I've noticed that I can usually narrow down the answer choice down to two answers, but approximately 75% of the time I pick the wrong answer. Anybody have any tips?

Pick the opposite answer (the one you wouldn't normally choose). Jk, lol. This is the most annoying thing about mcat verbal. Try relating the main idea to the answer choices.

If you could narrow down to two answers but picking ~75% of the wrong answers, then it was more likely that both of the answers choices that you picked were wrong. Your probability of picking the right answers should be close to 50% given the whole section. So it's either you didn't grasp the main ideas or got lost in the details. You can test this by circling both of your choices (although also pick out your favorite one) and see if one of them is the correct one.

Last edited:

Do you have similar results when taking the AAMC's? The 101 passages are usually pretty easy to read but the questions are more difficult / contain more tricks.

If you are scoring okay even after these issues, I wouldn't worry a ton about it. As long as you follow the EK strategy and practice as much as possible, you should be able to do just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah - that happens to me too. I've noticed that the wrong answer has one or two words that if you look carefully will be wrong. Just make sure to pick the answer that can be proven wrong with more difficulty.

What has helped me is doing the following:

1) Ask yourself what is the different between the two answer choices? ( Is one more broad compared to the other and etc?)
2) What must be PROVEN true between both answer choices? If any part of the answer isn't supported by the passage then that answer choice is wrong.
3) Fold it back to the question ( Does the answer choice answer the question specifically?)

By using these steps, you should be left with one answer choice rather then you choosing. Best wishes!

What has helped me is doing the following:

1) Ask yourself what is the different between the two answer choices? ( Is one more broad compared to the other and etc?)
2) What must be PROVEN true between both answer choices? If any part of the answer isn't supported by the passage then that answer choice is wrong.
3) Fold it back to the question ( Does the answer choice answer the question specifically?)

By using these steps, you should be left with one answer choice rather then you choosing. Best wishes!

Thank you for your response! I find that #1 works best for me at the moment, but I still have trouble with making assumptions. I tend to assume stuff that is not said in the passage but is implied by a wrong answer choice. Attacking the answer choices to eliminate the wrong ones seems to be most effective for me. Thanks again!