Verbal/Exam Krackers/ Reading Comp. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZashJMJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future Doctors, how are you?
I'm writing because I am heartly conserned with my Verbal score. I am currently enrolled in Princeton Review. I SUCK at Verbal. Ive been getting 4/6 wrong. I come to understand that my problem is Reading Comprehension. I read a paragraph and when I'm done, I say to myself, "What the hell did I just read?!?!" What do I do! I've been soring 4s and 5s on my Verbal Practice exams.

Someone told me Exam Krackers are a good prep tool for Verbal.

I'm in Desprate need of help! DO I have time to get my score up??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Exam Krackers has a very different strategy for Verbal. From what I can remeber.....

You don't underline or write ANYTHING on the book
The main point was that you are supposed to read each passage with the purpose of finding the MAIN IDEA. The theory is that most of the questions are based on the main idea. You should be able to summarize it in your head (1 sentence) when you are finished reading.

The other part of the strategy has something to do with reading the question stems, supposedly you can get a lot out of them.

That's all I remeber but I don't have the books around. I think if you are desperate you might want to get your hands on it, cuz the strategy is pretty different than the other prep companies from what I hear.

What's up? I had the same problem when I took it in August. I pulled down a 7 on verbal. As I begin to re-study for the MCAT I figured out the problem I was ahving is that I just wasn't paying attention to what I read. Sounds stupid but it's the truth. Read the passage like your life depends on it (B/C in a way it does) and forget about all those <IMO> stupid techniques. Peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
The link below is about examkrakers' tips. I think you might find it helpful. <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009344" target="_blank">for the mcat kidz</a>

I think the best way to improve the verbal score is to read. A LOT. Read a newspaper once a day. The New York Times, Washington Post, and The Wallstreet Journal are good. No offense to the residents of Philadelphia (I've moved there recently), but the Inquirer is not good. :) Read a magazine once a week. At the least, Time or Newsweek. I like The Smithsonian because of the broad range of topics. This is important since the verbal passage topics can be about anything. The Economist is also good. Finally, try to read a novel once a month. Stephen King is entertaining, but won't help your score. Check out the reading list from a college literature class.
I know this is a lot, and you're probably preparing for the MCAT in April. But if you read at least once a day, you should improve. My verbal score was not too bad the first time around, but it was my lowest score. I was able to improve a few points, enough to make a difference. Good Luck!