Verbal HELP please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otreezieo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all i'm new to SDN so bare with me please,

I read through many verbal strategies, however i am still struggling with the verbal portion of the MCAT. I understand that my scores won't increase in just a week and it takes a while to practice and improve my verbal school, but i find myself struggling with a lot of the timing. From the past few tests that i've taken, everytime i try to time myself, giving myself 8.5 minutes per passage for a total of 3 passages, i would miss at last half the questions (missing at least 10), but when i try to do the test untimed i usually finish each in about 10 minutes and find myself only getting 1-2 questions wrong per passage. Is this just to test anxiety and will this be solved with just more practice? Or do i need to change my strategy? Also, any suggestions on how to finish the passages faster but with greater accuracy?

I admit that when i read passage and move on to the questions i don't have a fully formed one liner sentence of what the authors main idea and opinion is, but i do have an idea of what it is, but i just find that i don't have enough time to fully form this thought before moving on to the questions.

I have 2 months left before my mcat test date, will two more months of practice be enough prep time for further improving my verbal score?

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you all in advance]..

Members don't see this ad.

The first time I took out my blade and used it, I bled. I kept cutting myself, on accident mind you. I had so many Band-Aids on you wouldn't imagine. I became afraid of my blade, for, everytime I took it out, I feared that I would cut myself or harm myself because I didn't know how to handle it. Eventually, I overcame my fear and kept using the blade. I got better at it and over time, I didn't need Band-Aids anymore. I also got faster at using it and I got good at using the blade. It became a natural extension of myself. This is how you should be with Verbal Reasoning. Be diligent and you will get faster; you will get good. Time and diligence are good teachers.

More practice will definitely improve your timing but lower the time in smaller increments, such as 9.5 mins then 9, etc...Also there is the strategy of spending 5 minutes/or just guess completely on one passage so you can spend the extra time on other passages giving you about 12 minutes on the other passages. Do what you have to do to maximize your score.