Verbal Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AAMC 3 a couple of days ago and got a 9 in verbal. Before reviewing the answers, I re-took the section today and gave myself 2 hours to finish and got a 13. But I always finish the verbal section on time (with 2 mins to spare). Do I have a problem with timing? If so, what can I do differently?
ps I hate verbal :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

No.. u just had time to re-read a passage and got a better understanding of it... also knowing the questions ahead of time helps big time too. That is why you went from a 9 to a 13. You don't have any critical problem and this means that you have the capacity to score 13, but you will need a lot more practice to get there (which sometimes is never enough).

No.. u just had time to re-read a passage and got a better understanding of it... also knowing the questions ahead of time helps big time too. That is why you went from a 9 to a 13. You don't have any critical problem and this means that you have the capacity to score 13, but you will need a lot more practice to get there (which sometimes is never enough).
I don't want a 13. If I can get an 11, I will be so happy :D I've actually been getting 6-8 on TPR and this was my first AAMC. So, I don't think a 9 is representative of my true "verbal abilities." Is it possible to get up to an 11 with A LOT of practice in 6 weeks?

yes, if u study every single day, no breaks...do a full length test every day (i did) for abt 6-8 wks..and moved from an 8 to a 15

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, if u study every single day, no breaks...do a full length test every day (i did) for abt 6-8 wks..and moved from an 8 to a 15
Wow! Congrats! I am more than willing to put in the work if my score can increase. What did you do after you took the practice tests? Did you use the rest of the day to look over your mistakes? I'm so nervous about this section :scared: Any advice would be great!

Wow! Congrats! I am more than willing to put in the work if my score can increase. What did you do after you took the practice tests? Did you use the rest of the day to look over your mistakes? I'm so nervous about this section :scared: Any advice would be great!

yea me too :scared:

I don't want a 13. If I can get an 11, I will be so happy :D I've actually been getting 6-8 on TPR and this was my first AAMC. So, I don't think a 9 is representative of my true "verbal abilities." Is it possible to get up to an 11 with A LOT of practice in 6 weeks?
Did you feel lucky at all when you got that 9? I got a 9 on AAMC 3, and I felt lucky. Especially after I found out I didn't completely flop that one ancient greek passage...

Did you feel lucky at all when you got that 9? I got a 9 on AAMC 3, and I felt lucky. Especially after I found out I didn't completely flop that one ancient greek passage...
I don't think I felt luck...but that's because I'm a freak! I always feel like my answer is better than the real one. Well, not always...some of them I agree with, and I feel stupid for choosing my answer. But there are always a few in which I think I had a better reasoning for choosing my answer. So, I am generally pretty confident with my answers. Obviously, I shouldn't be. :rolleyes:
But, I actually don't mind the 9, do you? As long as my score can go up 2 pts in the next month, I will be so happy! I know I need to put in A LOT of work in verbal.

I'm usually over confident, too, and there are still a few of the questions I get wrong in EK I still think I could argue for. But, I felt pretty brutalized by AAMC 3 VR.

The 9 doesn't bug me, or wouldn't bug me if it were my real score. However, scoring in this range bothers me because that means I'm in proximity to that dreaded sub-8 level. <8 means nobody wants you if you're not URM, even if you get 15s in BS/PS :( I want to go in feeling like it would have to be a bad day for me to score a 10/9.

I'm usually over confident, too, and there are still a few of the questions I get wrong in EK I still think I could argue for. But, I felt pretty brutalized by AAMC 3 VR.

The 9 doesn't bug me, or wouldn't bug me if it were my real score. However, scoring in this range bothers me because that means I'm in proximity to that dreaded sub-8 level. <8 means nobody wants you if you're not URM, even if you get 15s in BS/PS :(
They need a crying smiley. This is soo horrible! Yeah, I want to be getting consistent 11-12 on the practice so that my score can handle a 1-3 pt drop on the real one. I HATE VERBAL :( How is it that some people find this section easy? It's killing me!!!

They need a crying smiley. This is soo horrible! Yeah, I want to be getting consistent 11-12 on the practice so that my score can handle a 1-3 pt drop on the real one. I HATE VERBAL :( How is it that some people find this section easy? It's killing me!!!
How? Read the other thread... its been explained. People who are naturally good in (or maybe more correct in most cases, more well prepared for) verbal are uber-geniuses, because lord knows you can't be a genius if you don't nail VR... no ... no... I don't wanna hear it. Even if you totally killed all of your hardest science courses b/c of your natural abilities to solve physics/ochem/etc problems, you're still not of the "intellectually superior" class b/c you're not getting 22s on verbal. :D

How? Read the other thread... its been explained. People who are naturally good in (or maybe more correct in most cases, more well prepared for) verbal are uber-geniuses, because lord knows you can't be a genius if you don't nail VR... no ... no... I don't wanna hear it. Even if you totally killed all of your hardest science courses b/c of your natural abilities to solve physics/ochem/etc problems, you're still not of the "intellectually superior" class b/c you're not getting 22s on verbal. :D
:D I want to be one of those people who start off with a 6 in verbal and end with a 14 (I'm realistic ;)) on the real thing. Wanna join me, tncekm? We can be geniuses too!!!

:D I want to be one of those people who start off with a 6 in verbal and end with a 14 (I'm realistic ;)) on the real thing. Wanna join me, tncekm? We can be geniuses too!!!
I'll work on it, that's for sure ;) Best of luck to you in your quest to earn IQ points via VR prep! :D