Verbal is driving me INSANE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grw0o

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh! I took the 3R and scored a 5.... I 've read throught the EK study guide and still have problems... I'm and engineering major and reading is just not my thing... My biggest problem is grasping the main idea of the passages. It seems that I read a passage and it just flows in one ear and out the other. What is a good way to increase reading comprehension? Also my speed is slow, it takes about 5 minutes to read a passage... Maybe I have ADD?:wow:

+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

hey buddy, I totally hear you on verbal. I was just passing through this forum and had to respond to this - believe, there's plenty of people who hate verbal including myself!

alright, I had a low verbal score my first time and had to improve it. This is what I did to make myself focus more.

First, read a lot - I mean, outside reading. If you keep doing the kaplan or passages from the book, you'll get burned out quick. Take an hour or so a day out of a magazine like the economist (nice and short articles). Read through a passage. From the first paragraph, you should always be able to come up with some general idea (like, volcanoes, or sports, or abraham lincoln - that's all). Then paraphrase the rest - in other words, reword the entire paragraph as if you were explaining it to someone else. After doing this, then practice some passages.

Word to the wise - don't expect immediate results. In fact, don't expect a huge result. My score ended up a 9 the second time, which was enough (I've gotten into two schools thus far, so they obviously think it's enough too).

This exercise only helped me increase the probability of getting a better score and simply helped me THINK better on these passages. Do them slow first, then build up your speed. Heck, if you even leave only 4-5 minutes to skim the last passage, that may be more effective then trying to do every passage a tiny bit faster. Give it a whirl and good luck.

Thanx for the advice, I would be more then thrilled to get a 9. I'm taking a reading comprehension class at my school and am not going to give up until i'm in medical school :clap:

no problem. good luck on the test and don't let everyone stress you out. just suck it up and take the test - also, as a note, don't be afraid when you take the test. you never know. I completely guessed on my last two passages when I got the 9 and thought I bombed it! little did I know, that everyone was talking about how hard it was - thus, the curve saved me.

don't give up man. if you want it, you gotta do everything you can to get in. in my opinion, the mcat is way overrated. what's underrated? getting in your application on time! seriously, get the amcas in in june, then finish secondaries by mid-august. I think the august-september window is the time when med schools are not inundated with files. if you can apply to like 20 schools and get 1 early interview, trust me, it breaks the ice and makes the rest of the year so much more bearable.

to do this, remember to get your letters of rec in really early (like by february or march - if possible!). take it easy, don't stress, and do well - good luck man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... I took a practice EK test today and scored a 2.... It seems that I would have obtained the same score by just answering C for every question.

My comprehension is obviously below average. I am going to keep at it until i get this thing...

Don't worry. I feel like I have the worst verbal skills among any of pre-meds here. I have ADHD and English is my second language!!! I have never taken SAT nor went to high school in the U.S. I was F students when I was in high school in my country. I had to take English Comp. course 3 times to finally get a B in that class. I live like a hermit nowadays for this coming MCAT. I am working on verbal now.
It drives me nuts. Without timing, I get about 6.
My strategy on verbal improvement is slightly different level than other students. I have to be able to translate into my own language to really understand.

A lot of times I spent looking up a word in my dictionary b/c English is so complicated that sometimes one word contains 5 or more different meanings.
At times I feel like I'm totally nuts that I'm going through this beast.

dontevergiveup.jpg