sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I have been practicing steadily with verbal for the past three months with all of the resources. I have tried many different strategies, but I am not seeing any improvement.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for letting us know.
And thanks for the help! :thumbdown:

OP, can you give us some more insight? What is the problem? Are you able to eliminate some of the incorrect choices but still not picking the right answer? Are you eliminating the correct choice?

I am focusing primarily on BS and PS right now, but Verbal, to me, is often like those logic problems you can buy in a puzzle book at an airport kiosk. There's a reason it's called verbal reasoning and not something else, IMO. It really picks your brain and it can be easy to get tricked.

sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for letting us know
Why don't you whine about your C+ in art? Pitiful

Anyhow,

Usually I can get the answer down to two choices, but occasionally I will eliminate the right one, not often. I have been using TPR and EK, and I consistently miss about 2 per passage which is not going to be in the 10 range. I am trying to use EK's approach and read the passage as a whole, and get a good feel for the author.

Last edited:

Geekchick921

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Fix your quote, man, you hurt my e-feelings!

Verbrandhathe

Studious Paragon
Dec 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Anyhow,

Usually I can get the answer down to two choices, but occasionally I will eliminate the right one, not often. I have been using TPR and EK, and I consistently miss about 2 per passage which is not going to be in the 10 range. I am trying to use EK's approach and read the passage as a whole, and get a good feel for the author.
You might be missing certain types of questions. I answered some practice MCAT Verbal passages and I learned that by really understanding why you missed it is the best way. If you can, maybe approach an English professor or something.

Geekchick921

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sorry lol
S'okay.

Keep in mind, like I said, I haven't really done much for Verbal yet, so feel free to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I have been doing well on practice passages for the most part, though. That said, here are my tips, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're part of the books you have.

Convince yourself that you actually give half a crap about the topic of the article, and read it like you care. They're boring as all get-out, but that's the point! It would be a lot easier if you were reading about something interesting.

Take your personal opinion out of the matter. It doesn't matter. This has colored my answer choices in the past, and not in a good way.

Personally, I try to read passages thoroughly, but not spend too much time to read it TOO meticulously. I like to go back and double check myself when I'm answering anyway.

When it comes to the questions, really make sure you understand what they're asking (make sure you're not missing a "not", for example).

Personally, I had a bad habit of narrowing it down to the right answer and a wrong answer, but picking the wrong answer. I'm getting better at this, and I feel like the only way I can describe it is that they both could be right, a lot of the time, but only one is totally right. Watch for tricks like the "best" wrong answer will assume too much about the author's opinion, or it will sound right at first but if you read it again you'll realize it isn't. I think if you read it, and part of the choice makes you go, "Mmmm... I dunno." then it's probably not the right choice.

Another one I see is something like this, especially with the Roman Numeral ones: they'll include a wrong choices that sounds good, and could fit with the tone of the passage, but they might be asking for examples from the passage and that one is not included.

To go along with this, read the answers VERY carefully. Personally, that's tripped me up a lot.

If you want to PM me, maybe we can exchange e-mails or something and work on passages together. My bachelor's is in theatre and, therefore, pretty much completely useless, but I think it gives me a slight edge in interpreting text for VR.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Anyhow,

Hey Sully! I don't know if this will help, but here is my question strategy for VR:

I alternate spending one day doing 3-4 timed passages then view answer explanations, and the other day doing 2 untimed passages while slowly reading the passage very critically followed by answering Questions by my strategy below and analyzing Answers one-by-one to immidiately fix my incorrect ways of thinking.

Here is my own VR Strategy of the Questions which I combined from SDN, Kaplan, and EK:

Verbal Question Strategy
Deduction
A) SORT likely choices:
1. wrong?
2. obviously right?
3. Unsure? BEFORE EVALUATING the unsures, figure out what each is referring to
B) PICK choice closest to purpose of related
C) TRY Denial Test

Evaluation
BEFORE EVALUATING choices,
A) REREAD & paraphrase
B) SORT Fact vs Opinion
C) PICK choice closest to Main Idea of passage

Application

A) PICK choice that expresses essential attributes of the passage …
but in different words & in a new context.

Incorporation

A) IDENTIFY relevant ideas/evidence in support/against
B) PICK choice closest to Main Idea of passage

Detail

A) RELATE nouns in Q-stem to ¶ topics
B) CROSS-OUT choices NOT in related ¶
C) PICK choice closest to Main Idea of passage

Global

A) PICK choice w/accurate nouns/verbs(Vertical Scan) to passage's scope/author's purpose

right answer MUST be true based on the passage;

if it "may or may not" be true, it's incorrect.

(+) Denial Test = when correct choice is negated, it will blatantly contradict something in the passage.

-by g8orlife:D

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the last 3 lines of my strategy above may be the most important and generally helpful for all types of questions.