verbal - keep going or rest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been hovering around 9/10 on EK101, and got a 10 on AAMC 8, 11 on AAMC 7 for verbal.

yesterday on aamc 6 i got a 7 ...lower than what i got last august on the real mcat.

i was a little disappointed. wasn't sure to think of it as a fluke, or as a sign that i'm tired of verbal? i don't think its general burnout, since i feel pretty good (minus upset about the 7), and did well in the other sections of aamc 6 (11 PS, 11 BS).

i've been doing about 2-3 verbal section tests a week. not sure if i should keep it up or just give myself a verbal break for a couple of days.

yesterday, the first passage i just really disliked, and i think i went with a "just get through the rest" attitude, rather tahn the EK strategy of "being excited".

any tips on how to move through a verbal score fall?

Members don't see this ad.

bananaboat said:
i've been hovering around 9/10 on EK101, and got a 10 on AAMC 8, 11 on AAMC 7 for verbal.

yesterday on aamc 6 i got a 7 ...lower than what i got last august on the real mcat.

i was a little disappointed. wasn't sure to think of it as a fluke, or as a sign that i'm tired of verbal? i don't think its general burnout, since i feel pretty good (minus upset about the 7), and did well in the other sections of aamc 6 (11 PS, 11 BS).

i've been doing about 2-3 verbal section tests a week. not sure if i should keep it up or just give myself a verbal break for a couple of days.

yesterday, the first passage i just really disliked, and i think i went with a "just get through the rest" attitude, rather tahn the EK strategy of "being excited".

any tips on how to move through a verbal score fall?
I have noticed that my mentality when I am about to take a VR practice test factors into my score tremendously. When I am pumped and ready to go I do 10's, but when I am kinda tired and really not in the mood to read...I get 8's and 9's.

I am working on tricking myself into being pumped and ready. :laugh:

Your attitude has a lot to do with... plus give yourself a day or 2 break inbetween each practice verbal section you do... its healthy for you, also take mini 5 second breaks before each passage... it helps.

osjx-82 said:
5 second mini breaks....that's a good idea.
Absolutely! Relax your mind from thoughts like "man, should I have chose C for that last passage question" or "geesh...I don't think I am doing so good on this verbal." Start fresh for the next passage with a clear mind.