1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Verbal- My Problems and Your Suggestions

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by pandulce321, Aug 11, 2006.

1. pandulce321

pandulce321 Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    My verbal scores have been a rollercoaster ride, now leveling off but not by much:
    11/20/05 = 5
    1/23/06 = 6
    6/05/06 = 8
    7/09/06 = 7
    7/23/ 06 = 9 (AAMC 6r)
    8/1/06= 11 (AAMC 5r)
    8/5/06 = 10 (AAMC 9)
    8/7/06 = 9 (46/60) (AAMC 3)
    Today = 45/65 (AAAMC 4)

I am stuck in the range of dancing way too close between the 9 and the 10. On my most recent exam I outlined the mistakes I tend to make, but unfortunately I have been running very close on time. My technique includes, actually writing down my time before doing each passage (giving 3 min. to reading a min. for each question). I also started to recently go backwards when answering the questions (starting with my AAMC 5r score). I skip passages when they seem intimidating (to return to later) and I tend to annotate quite a bit, so I can reference quickly. My problem is that I am sometimes unsure of what the author's attitude is towards the topic and I tend to go back to the passage a lot. When I do get questions wrong, it is because I couldn't find the answer when I went back to the passage and I chose an answer because it 'seemed' correct. Also, I tend to ignore the first paragraph when referencing. I am not one of those people that gets whole passages wrong, but rather, a few from each passage and therefore doing all of the passages is to my advantage. Since I don't finish with adequate time left over, what should be my plan of action to avoid such mistakes without running out of time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.