Verbal- My Problems and Your Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandulce321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My verbal scores have been a rollercoaster ride, now leveling off but not by much:
11/20/05 = 5
1/23/06 = 6
6/05/06 = 8
7/09/06 = 7
7/23/ 06 = 9 (AAMC 6r)
8/1/06= 11 (AAMC 5r)
8/5/06 = 10 (AAMC 9)
8/7/06 = 9 (46/60) (AAMC 3)
Today = 45/65 (AAAMC 4)

I am stuck in the range of dancing way too close between the 9 and the 10. On my most recent exam I outlined the mistakes I tend to make, but unfortunately I have been running very close on time. My technique includes, actually writing down my time before doing each passage (giving 3 min. to reading a min. for each question). I also started to recently go backwards when answering the questions (starting with my AAMC 5r score). I skip passages when they seem intimidating (to return to later) and I tend to annotate quite a bit, so I can reference quickly. My problem is that I am sometimes unsure of what the author's attitude is towards the topic and I tend to go back to the passage a lot. When I do get questions wrong, it is because I couldn't find the answer when I went back to the passage and I chose an answer because it 'seemed' correct. Also, I tend to ignore the first paragraph when referencing. I am not one of those people that gets whole passages wrong, but rather, a few from each passage and therefore doing all of the passages is to my advantage. Since I don't finish with adequate time left over, what should be my plan of action to avoid such mistakes without running out of time.

Members don't see this ad.