Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

# Verbal Passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by bluesTank, May 12, 2007.

1. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    College Station, TX
    How often do verbal sections have 6 vs. 7 passages on the actual exam? I can almost never seem to finish 7 passages, but I can fly through 6 passages...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. merlinwall

merlinwall 5+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Always 7. 8.5 minutes per passage, about... In fact all the sections (PS, VR, BS) have 7 passages, just in the sciences they give you 10 extra minutes to answer 13 discrete questions, which are split into 3 chunks-- beware-- one chunk is (always?) after the last passage, so plan your time accordingly.

4. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    College Station, TX
    D'oh...

5. raptors

raptors 5+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Do you know how many questions out of 40 you need to get a 10?

6. midn

midn 10+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    The scale changes for each test, but based on the practice AAMC tests you need at least 30/40.

7. aclementine

aclementine Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2006
    this is a major drawback of the new shorter mcat... less room for error, arrgh

8. WurangBlang

WurangBlang 5+ Year Member

May 8, 2007
    it's always 7... and u need to get at least 30/40 to get a decent score... which means you should be able to finish all the passages in 60min, without guessing, because even 1 or 2 questions can make big difference now (compare to 60questions bak in good ol' days). That being said, I didn't get to do one of my passages in the real thing, apr 12th one. It was lot harder than aamc cbt ones, but o well.

let the game of black jack begin!