# Verbal Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do verbal sections have 6 vs. 7 passages on the actual exam? I can almost never seem to finish 7 passages, but I can fly through 6 passages...

Members don't see this ad.

Always 7. 8.5 minutes per passage, about... In fact all the sections (PS, VR, BS) have 7 passages, just in the sciences they give you 10 extra minutes to answer 13 discrete questions, which are split into 3 chunks-- beware-- one chunk is (always?) after the last passage, so plan your time accordingly.

Do you know how many questions out of 40 you need to get a 10?

Members don't see this ad :)
The scale changes for each test, but based on the practice AAMC tests you need at least 30/40.

this is a major drawback of the new shorter mcat... less room for error, arrgh

it's always 7... and u need to get at least 30/40 to get a decent score... which means you should be able to finish all the passages in 60min, without guessing, because even 1 or 2 questions can make big difference now (compare to 60questions bak in good ol' days). That being said, I didn't get to do one of my passages in the real thing, apr 12th one. It was lot harder than aamc cbt ones, but o well.

let the game of black jack begin!