Nov 21, 2012
Status
I've been doing 3-4 Verbal passages a day for the last couple months. I always do 1 at a time with a 7 minute timer. Starting to think I should do all 3 with a 21 minute timer as my test gets closer. I've never had a timing problem on FLs.

How has everyone else been practicing verbal?

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been doing 3-4 Verbal passages a day for the last couple months. I always do 1 at a time with a 7 minute timer. Starting to think I should do all 3 with a 21 minute timer as my test gets closer. I've never had a timing problem on FLs.

How has everyone else been practicing verbal?
I think it makes sense to start combining them into 3s and 4s, why not!

As a person who suck at VR being very curious, what sources are you using for verbal? Have you seen improvement with your score? How are you doing with verbal overall? :)

OP
P
Nov 21, 2012
Status
I'm about to finish EK101, which I've liked. I have not improved drastically, but I've definitely gotten better. It's kind of hard to tell. I started out in around 10 for verbal, so improving can be the difference between getting an average of 1.5 wrong per passage to getting an average of 1 wrong per passage. You have to look at your scores over a large number of passages to see any significant outcomes, which I haven't done yet (now that I think about it, I probably should).

I recently got TPRH Verbal, which I'll start once EK is done. I've heard good things, and it's another 100 passages or so. I have TBR as well, but it doesn't seem very representative of the AAMC practice test verbals.

My verbal scores are all over the map to be honest. On AAMC FLs, I've gotten anywhere from a 10 to a 15. I think a lot of it has to do with just concentration. If I lose focus for some reason (like my roommate banging around in the living room), it can really kill me. I guess focus is the thing I'm trying to develop more than anything else

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Agreed, I think it's establishing a basis of technique, applying it effectively, then overall, having the best and most efficient concentration come test day, with a little bit of luck in the 14-15 range.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Agreed, I think it's establishing a basis of technique, applying it effectively, then overall, having the best and most efficient concentration come test day, with a little bit of luck in the 14-15 range.

Just wondering, have any of you guys looked into Kaplan's verbal passages? Do you guys score consistently in those too?

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
Ehhh, not really representative... I did three Kaplan sets and scored a 13 on two of them. For EK, I was around 7-11's before I stopped at VR Test 7. I plan on just doing full length VR's leading up to my exam.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Ehhh, not really representative... I did three Kaplan sets and scored a 13 on two of them. For EK, I was around 7-11's before I stopped at VR Test 7. I plan on just doing full length VR's leading up to my exam.
You find Kaplan easy and I find it hard :uhno: I'm losing hope :boom:

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
Just the VR. Their other material from their Section Tests and Topicals are hard.

Jul 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I would do maybe 2 a day at the least while you are still trying to establish your technique but as you get closer to your mcat it would be a good idea to increase so that you build stamina and get used to working under fatigue.