verbal practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

misscalipig

hey guys

please list what books with practice passages you recommend...

arco, columbia, etc?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yo, check out my link below to the lSAT page, there is a ton of passages and critical reading excericises that you can order for really cheap.. like 60 bux buys you 20 tests which a large part is critical reading.. read my post.. good luck

To bring up a very low verbal score, I began at the beginning. I basically learned how to read again. There is a book out there for general test prep-called 501 Reading Comprehension Questions. I read 100+ passages and did all 501 Qs. The first 50 passages and questions are rediculously easy. Then there are some poems and some med based passages. It was a morale booster to know I could flawlessly answer the sets. I then moved onto a PR verbal book and made my way through 30 passages, with mediocre results. About 6 weeks before test time, I started learning the EK verbal method. My practice scores became consistantly good after that. I also did all the AAMC practice tests. I ended up with a respectable VR score. I didn't rock it, but my prep got me in.

Good luck

Isidella

I think the best way to prepare for verbal is to do as many practice passages from Princeton and Kaplan as you possibly can, learn and stick with the Examkrackers method...etc....but before you dive into all that, READDDD! get a subscription to the new york times and ACTIVELY read it everyday for at least an hour. pick up current issues of the new yorker, smithsonian, or the atlantic and read them cover to cover. before you attack and "prep" stuff, spend a couple of months just attempting to read everything and anything you can. I think it will make a huge difference when you start doing passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful with princeton practice for verbal. Alot of their practice verbal stuff was direct questions so easy to score well. The actual mcat is much more analytical in question form. I was scoring about 4 points higher on princeton homeworks and workbooks then I did on the actual mcat. Make sure you can analyze what you have read and be able to answer more questions like "which of the following statements would the author most likely disagree with" as opposed to "what is the point of this passage"

Hi Isidella,
I was wondering of 501 Reading Comprehension, which author and version did you use. There are like a ton of them out there.

thanks