Verbal Preparation for April

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

uvapremed

Hey, I need to improve my verbal score for next april. I have never been much of a reader. What can I do from now until April that will help improve my score. I had used the EK books for the August test but never really got into the whole strategy/method as I started a little late in studying for verbal. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

uvapremed said:
Hey, I need to improve my verbal score for next april. I have never been much of a reader. What can I do from now until April that will help improve my score. I had used the EK books for the August test but never really got into the whole strategy/method as I started a little late in studying for verbal. Thanks.

personally, i didn't use much of a strategy. i would go to a passage, count the number of questions, and then add 3 minutes. for example, a passage with 10 questions gets 13 minutes, and a passage with 5 questions gets 8 minutes. my score was 10.

Many schools have a free newspaper program: mine gives my the New York Times free. Read a few articles from a national newspaper and try to summarize the journalist's point - that's how I prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try reading some Ayn Rand. It is interesting and will stretch your mind~
This far in advance of the April MCAT, reading for pleasure will probably be more easy to maintain, and it can help you improve you reading speed and critical thinking. Plus, it's fun.

Definitely now. This early, I wouldn't start any verbal "techniques" and hardcore test preparation, but rather read, read, read, read. And then read some more. Pick some stuff you are interested in, and then some stuff you aren't and convince yourself that you are. Make every subject your favorite subject. Convince yourself that learning and accumulating knowledge through reading is the ultimate personal satisfaction. That will give you a new perspective of the VR section and you will be much better prepared.

I think reading philosophy really helped my reading comprehension. I suggest just getting a good general philosophy book and trying to answer the review questions at the end.

(I swear I've typed this response before... creepy.)