verbal question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my exam is in january and so far I have these full verbal tests (7 passages per test) left for verbal.

TPRH : 4
EK 101 : 4
TBR verbal workbook: 14 (completely new)
Kaplan verbal workbook : 11 (completely new)

Should I just do them in real testing condition (7 passages in one hour) or should I break them up into several passages?

I seem to do pretty OK in verbal but I struggle with timing (run out of time by one passage) so maybe doing them in 7 passages at a time is better?

Is TBR verbal really not worth doing even if it's only for practice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a bad idea to take the passages under test time conditions, but you also would benefit from taking the passages individually instead of as full tests.

If you are having trouble with stamina, then taking full tests could be good practice.

If you are having trouble with time per passage, then it does not really matter.

I have found that passages in blocks of 3 in 21 minutes is a good workout.

I would recommend taking a couple everyday until a couple of weeks before your test. At which time you'll want to build up your stamina and taking 7 in row will do that.
Taking a few everyday until that point will be a slow burn during which you can perfect your verbal strategy and timing and apply it to the practice tests you should be taking after content review.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if timing is an issue, focus on reading for 2 hours a day. The denser the reading material, the better. Try that and you'll see your reading speed increase dramatically. However, you should still do verbal passages on a daily basis. Quick reading comprehension is only half of what you need to do well on this section.

It also helps to be an active reader. I can explain how to actively read if you do not know what I am talking about.

Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP, if timing is an issue, focus on reading for 2 hours a day. The denser the reading material, the better. Try that and you will that that your reading speed will increase dramatically. However, you should still do verbal passages on a daily basis. Quick reading comprehension is only half of what you need to do well on this section.

It also helps to be an active reader. I can explain how to actively read if you do not know what I am talking about.

Jack
I think everyone could always use a lesson in active reading.

I'm game

Reactions: 1 user
OP, if timing is an issue, focus on reading for 2 hours a day. The denser the reading material, the better. Try that and you will that that your reading speed will increase dramatically. However, you should still do verbal passages on a daily basis. Quick reading comprehension is only half of what you need to do well on this section.

Jack

Yes maybe you can briefly explain?