Verbal Reasoning - How to Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RhinB

PGY3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

To be honest, I think, and always have thought that Verbal Reasoning/ Critical Thinking tests have been the hardest part for many people out there. BS and PS are a lot of just memorizing things and materials, but VR seems like the hardest for me, and for everyone to improve.

I know people talk about doing passages etc etc, but are there any other strategies that might be helpful?

I know some people mention reading extra things...but any good suggestions? Is there a particular way I should read them to get a better understanding? What about some "essential" tips people have used along the way to do really well on the verbal?

Thanks for responses in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be afraid of experimenting with different techniques. Whether you start to map it out (or like me write key ideas down when doing it out of the book and highlight it on the AAMC practice tests) or try to speed up your reading (I ended up getting a total of 5/12 on two passages, so not doing that anymore). Just try different techniques because each person is different. I'd say try a little bit of everything: just reading, reading and noting down key points/main points of each paragraph, extreme words, etc., speeding up/slowing down, going back to passages more often than not, answering just by intuition, etc. Good luck!