Verbal Reasoning Time Crunch (MCAT is in a week!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamiee4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Just a bit of background, I have been studying for the MCAT for 3 months almost and I write it in a little over a week from now. I've ton full reviews for the BS and PS sections of the test and I am very comfortable with these sections, although I just started verbal reasoning today.

Basically, I thought verbal was going to be something that I could pick up on really quickly and automatically get a 10+ score on; this was probably the most stupid assumption I've made in my entire life and I am hating myself for it right now! Although, as I started revising for it today I realized I am basically screwed. I am using EK 101 passages and their verbal book and it makes sense, but I just can't comprehend half the passages! I routinely take ~4-5 minutes to read a passage and understand what I am reading. This already doesn't leave me much time for questions, but if I complete the passage in the 3 minutes that EK estimates, I literally have NO IDEA what I've just read. I've read that it is best to take 8-9 minutes per passage/question combination but when I do, I routinely score below 50% on the passage. If I take 11-13 minutes on a passage, I usually only get 1 question wrong on said passage.

I guess I'm just looking for someone that has been in this similar situation and if you have any 'words of wisdom' or really maybe a little motivational boost. At this point, I feel like I will fail the VR section because I need more time to finish it and achieve a good score (I can finish it but it results in a terrible score!).

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

For pacing, I've had similar troubles but I've found it helpful to read Economist articles and time myself until I am comfortable in reading at 150-200 wpm and grasp the full meaning of the passage. Secondly, practice moving on from tougher questions, spending no more than half a minute. Only thing is you have very little time. Since your accuracy is good when given more time, you may want to consider skipping a passage that has only 4-5 questions. I really hate this strategy but desperate times call for desperate measures. This will give you 10 mins per passage for the other passages and at least allow you the 0-1 accuracy. It'll be tough to score higher than a 10 but at least you don't jeopardize missing too much more and end up with a much lower score.

In this situation, I suggest moving your exam back. You can't expect a miracle with this section, peoples scores on the real exam can be erratic at times (doesn't exactly match up to practice exams, but those who have consistent scores more often than not get the same scores on their exams). In the end, you want to be consistently hitting that target score on your practice exams. You need to have your strategy and you need to be good at it and most importantly be consistent. My scores have been hovering around the 9-10 range on the AAMC exams, but a 9 is all I want at this point. It took me 1-2 months to see that upward trend in my scores.

You're panicking. Generally, in the last week you want to relax and wind things down a bit. That being said, you just started VR now? VR should not be underestimated, for many it's the hardest section. There's a good method for seeing if you're ready or not for the MCAT. Take 3 full-length AAMC tests and then take the average. If your score is good enough for medical school, take the MCAT. If not, move it back. Never take the MCAT unless you're prepared. Also, make sure you are in the early application cycle.

Postpone if your MCAT is coming up. I had very high science scores, but a low score in verbal, and did not get into any medical schools at all. When I look back I would have taken another month just for verbal.

Edit: I want to add more context to my situation. I studied 3 months for the MCAT, first 2 months of content review through TPR. I used EK101, EK books, TPR hyperlearning material. Pretty much your standard MCAT study material. I studied efficiently and dedicated most of my time to verbal. For the 3 weeks leading up to the MCAT I was consistently scoring 10s on verbal whether it was TPR/AAMC/EK101 on practice tests and 1hr verbal drills. Consistent, my lowest score during that period of time was a 9 in verbal. In the MCAT, I just belly-flopped; I got really nervous and could only skim through the passages.

My Message: Even if you end up hitting your target score in the few weeks before your MCAT, you can still do badly. I am in the position where I will be retaking in January 2015 and I have been doing two 30 min verbal drills per week. I will be upping the duration and frequency coming up to the MCAT. Verbal is more practice/skill-based than study-based. You don't "study" for it. You start early and work at it. That's why it's so hard for most of us Pre-Meds because we're used to cramming tons of info, but not used to developing a skill over time. And if my post offends anyone, I'm sorry, but this is my 2 cents from not getting into any medical schools for the 2014 cycle.

Last edited: