1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Verbal...Referring back to the passage for answers

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Brandon81081, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i would like to see some opinions on the strategy of "going back to the passage" to find the answer in the verbal section. I always run out of time with 2 passages left to complete and refering back to the passage searching for the correct answer is a main cause. So is it a better idea to go with your gut instinct and move on, finishing those last passages, or return to the passage . I've tried both methods but w/fluctuating scores its hard to tell which is more efficient. I have scores that average about 8 for verbal...I also circle pivotal words/phrases and abbreviate in margins. Any opinions will be taken into consideration

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you aren't finishing it's pretty obvious you are going back to the passage too much. There is plenty of time to read the passages and understand them the first time around. Besides detail questions such as dates/events/whatever you shouldn't go back to the passage. You should understand the main ideas and tone.

4. ArminTamzarian

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Going with my gut in the verbal amde me sick. But, I did pull off a 13, and I am an engineering major. I think the best thing you can do is skip making any notes. Then work on crossing out answers you doubt are correct. Then you only have to choose between two answers. Good luck!

5. mnmsuccess

mnmsuccess Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had the same problem where I could never finish the exam. I always had few passages left behind. Recently in the past 2-3 weeks I have been able to complete the test. I have been making a conscious effort to read extremely focused (read like you can never see the passage again). I have also forced myself to not go back to the passage to answer questions, by doing that I have cut my going back for every question to about one or 2 questions per passage. My score has also gone up from a 7 to a 10 consistently. Now I am trying to work on the main idea part of it to see if that can help my score.

I was previously going back to the passage because I felt more confident with my answers if I did. Try a whole exam without ever going back see if that affects your score. I am not recommending not going back at all on the real thing but this exercise might boost your confidence about your answers.
    Good Luck!