Verbal Score..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatestpastime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a practice Kaplan test and got a 6 on the verbal, but that was my first time ever looking at the mcat and i'm not in college yet. What kind of shape am I in?

Members don't see this ad.

greatestpastime said:
I took a practice Kaplan test and got a 6 on the verbal, but that was my first time ever looking at the mcat and i'm not in college yet. What kind of shape am I in?

Read read read, and read some more. Practice reading all kinds of things from essays to books in a variety of different subjects. Try and recal key points. Read a passage and then see if you can re-tell it or explain it in your own words without looking at the text. After you skills improve, there are other techniques you can learn/practice that are more focused on actual test taking. Just my opinion anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
man SDN posters are getting more and more uptight about MCATs lol. I suggest that you lay off MCAT studying until midway through college, enjoy the best time of your life. If you want a general improvement in verbal however, just start reading reading reading, and enjoy it. economist, wall street journal, new york times are all excellent publications. Something i always wondered was, what would happen if i majored in both philosophy and a science, if my MCAT would have been top notch, i guess we'll never know now will we? :)

braluk said:
man SDN posters are getting more and more uptight about MCATs lol. I suggest that you lay off MCAT studying until midway through college, enjoy the best time of your life. If you want a general improvement in verbal however, just start reading reading reading, and enjoy it. economist, wall street journal, new york times are all excellent publications. Something i always wondered was, what would happen if i majored in both philosophy and a science, if my MCAT would have been top notch, i guess we'll never know now will we? :)

I agree! I wasn't even thinking about the MCAT before college. I was more excited about the college experience and doing good. Before college, if you want to prepare for something, prepare for college, you don't even have a GPA yet.

greatestpastime said:

Three things:

1.) You're not college, so don't worry about the MCAT for at least 2 years.

2.) Kaplan verbal tests are not good ones to practice. They are not representative of the actual MCAT.

3.) That being said, I got a 6 on the Kaplan diag. verbal section...I then worked with EK and got a 12 on the real thing. My score went up over a 6 mo. period.

If your really serious about studying verbal MCAT, than you might want to look at the previous years AAMC (3R-9R), and often they take passages out of books. So read those books. If you want more books, go through princetons verbal and they also have references.

Wow, I'm not even sure I knew what the MCAT was in high school. :oops: Please, please, don't worry about the MCAT right now! There's absolutely no reason to do so. Try to enjoy college (once you get there) and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Good luck! :luck:

ADeadLois said:
Three things:

1.) You're not college, so don't worry about the MCAT for at least 2 years.

2.) Kaplan verbal tests are not good ones to practice. They are not representative of the actual MCAT.

3.) That being said, I got a 6 on the Kaplan diag. verbal section...I then worked with EK and got a 12 on the real thing. My score went up over a 6 mo. period.

very true.....I thought Kaplan did well on the PS and BS practice tests, but the VR on the real thing is much more straightfoward than Kaplan

Well im not worried about the MCAT in general. I'm just looking at how much I need to be reading in college because I hear it is hard to increase your verbal score over short terms unlike the bio and physics section. Is that true?

thanks for all the advice

greatestpastime said:
Well im not worried about the MCAT in general. I'm just looking at how much I need to be reading in college because I hear it is hard to increase your verbal score over short terms unlike the bio and physics section. Is that true?

thanks for all the advice
Yes; the verbal is the hardest scores to improve. I improved my biology section by 6 points, but my verbal only improved by 1 point with a lot of studying and preparation. However, each person is different. Best thing is to take an official AAMC practice exam (the 3R exam is totally FREE, http://www.e-mcat.com ), and see how you do!

ironmanf14 said:
very true.....I thought Kaplan did well on the PS and BS practice tests, but the VR on the real thing is much more straightfoward than Kaplan

I just remember that the Kaplan practice tests always felt a little off compared to AAMC and even EK, which was much closer.