verbal section and writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UIC Killa

EM ES ONE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious but do you guys think that a sub-par verbal score ( I got a 7 and 28 overall) can be offset, even a little, by a decent writing sample (I got Q)...i did well on all my english classes, humanities...etc...I am actually going to graduate with a sociology minor so that is a lot of reading and writing but I would feel a lot better about the 28 if I hadn't received the 7...what do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Many medical schools don't place a lot of wieght on the writing sections because this section is judged by reviewers and is biased. However, the verbal section is scored the same way as the science sections. Therefore, a seven on the VS means that you are weak in that area. But the good news is that your score is not a 5 or 6. At my med school, it's your whole application that determines your acceptance to med school. Your chance of getting into top schools is slim, but there are schools out there that accept folks with low VS score. You might want to think about retaking the MCAT. I have a friend who scored a 4 on the VS, retook the MCAT and made a 9 on the VS. He was accepted to an excellent med school for class of 2010. Try Examcrakers for verbal section. Best of Luck and trust me a 7 is not going to stop you from getting into med schools.

UIC Killa said:
Just curious but do you guys think that a sub-par verbal score ( I got a 7 and 28 overall) can be offset, even a little, by a decent writing sample (I got Q)...i did well on all my english classes, humanities...etc...I am actually going to graduate with a sociology minor so that is a lot of reading and writing but I would feel a lot better about the 28 if I hadn't received the 7...what do you guys think.

I got a 9 and an O respectivley and got in two ivy league schools, jst make sure the rest of your application is strong

Don't worry bro. I see you're from UIC. If you apply ASAP and give a decent interview you should get in (to UIC). I know someone from you're school who did (with ~3.6 GPA 28 MCAT in bio?).