Verbal Section on GRE's a good prep for CARs section in MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealingGrace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got another person discouraging me from trying, which is difficult because I subscribe to the idea that if someone wants to try, let them try. And I understand that any discouragement is meant to help us be "realistic" or to protect us, but I think most non traditional mature pre-health/med students understand to the full extent the obstacles and challenges we will face, and are extremely thoughtful of the risks and sacrifices we will be making in order to at least "try" our asses off for this. So first, I applaud all of you for being rebel rousers and going after it, regardless of naysayers! I remember coming on here last year and feeling overwhelmed with gratitude at the encouragement and support on here, so I am doing it again this year.

There will be many layers of questions here.

1) As many post bacc programs require GRE scores for admissions, has anyone taken the GREs and found them comparable or helpful in gearing up for the CARs section in MCATS?

2) Have most found that being in a formal (and thus taking the GREs) post bacc more advantageous to the informal a la carte post bacc? All things being equal, and assuming someone doesnt have to work full or part time on top of school, are there other reasons for opting for an informal do-it-yourself post bacc vs formal one?

3) Lastly, has anyone gotten in this year or have had interviews despite the sudden drop in "grade replacement" for DO schools?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. No, the GRE and MCAT are not at all comparable

2. Probably no advantage unless you’re in a post bacc/SMP that feeds into a med school.

3. I guess I don’t understand the question. Are you just asking if anyone has interviewed/ been accepted to a DO school this year?

1. I don't think the LSAT/GRE/Etc. and the MCAT are sufficiently similar that using the former for test prep would be useful for the latter. With that said, if you are years out and you know you are weak at reading comprehension, then it could be useful to do an LSAT or GRE passage every night to get exposure to that kind of thinking. But when it comes to your actual MCAT prep in the months leading up to the test, stick with the AAMC material.

2. I think there is a small handful of formal post-bacc programs that are highly respected and have an excellent track record of getting their students admitted to medical school. All else equal, if you can go to one of them it is definitely wise to do so, IMO. But outside that very small group, go wherever you are most likely to get a 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I recently met with a lawyer and I think she was saying she did exceptionally well in CARs because of the LSATs so wondering if anyone else experienced that as well (sorry, will clarify: wasnt saying the exams on a wholly basis were comparable, we all know MCATs are the hardest entrance exams out there, but just the verbal section as being helpful for MCATS, after taking the GREs).

And, yes, wondering if the new provisions for DO schools no longer taking grade replacement, if that hindered anyone from being accepted or if it didnt hurt applicants at all. Wanted to get feedback to see if that changed anything for applicants this year.

I had a friend who studied for the Mcat exclusively and only pulled a 497 but a 90th percent on the GRE in the same week.. so I would say generally no. He elaborated and said GRE was basically a joke to it comparing them by difficulty

I had a friend who studied for the Mcat exclusively and only pulled a 497 but a 90th percent on the GRE in the same week.. so I would say generally no. He elaborated and said GRE was basically a joke to it comparing them by difficulty
when did he take the exams? recently?

I've taken the GRE and reviewed for some of the MCAT and I'd agree with that as well. However speaking specifically to the CARs section I think they might be a bit more comparable.

Sorry all! Perhaps I didnt communicate the questions clearly. I was not asking if they are similar exams, clearly its common knowledge, even for someone who knows nothing about entrance exams, that they are not and that the MCATs are the hardest exams out there. I was asking if it helps studying the verbal on GREs for any part of the MCATS CARs section. And I got the answer today! A CARS tutor said it helps! Any time there are exam questions testing reasoning and the ability to ascertain logic from varying information, to figure out what the author (and eventually the patient) is trying to convey, this type of question exposure each and every time helps! That's what the expert said.

The original reason for why I was asking (which probably would have helped) is that I have to take the GREs for a post bacc program I am thinking of entering, but they told me to just focus on the quantitative. But I was thinking, I might as well study it all really well, especially since I have a hard time doing anything with slapdash effort, but I was wondering how much time I should allocate that, because I am also starting ochem series soon; now it seems to help the beginning stages of studying for CARs so that's useful info!