Verbal Stinksss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M bhai MBBS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i reallly Need help in VERBAL GUYSS i been doing many Verbal passage and my score is STUCK AT 4. Score is not improving at all. I have ek 101 and Kaplan verbal book and i practice Verbal everyday... I do ATLEAST 1 verbal exam per day. from Ek and Kaplan back and forth. my score is not coming guyss. Anyone saw a big improvement in verbal within few weeks?? b/c i really dotn have time at all 3 weeks is too less to get it up to 9 or even 10 in verbal.

Any advice would be really great. Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

try an aamc passage, take the free aamc 3r available on e-mcat.com...that might be a more accurate indicator of your progress

M bhai MBBS said:
i reallly Need help in VERBAL GUYSS i been doing many Verbal passage and my score is STUCK AT 4. Score is not improving at all. I have ek 101 and Kaplan verbal book and i practice Verbal everyday... I do ATLEAST 1 verbal exam per day. from Ek and Kaplan back and forth. my score is not coming guyss. Anyone saw a big improvement in verbal within few weeks?? b/c i really dotn have time at all 3 weeks is too less to get it up to 9 or even 10 in verbal.

Were you born in the US? if not when did you move?

Members don't see this ad :)
M bhai MBBS said:

try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...s_1/104-9366630-2215115?redirect=true&ie=UTF8

sekem said:
Were you born in the US? if not when did you move?

I wasnt born in US. came here in 2000.

i think the problem is that i jus need to focus little more. I can get the main idea sometimes but not all the times.. and when i m done with verbal passages i go over it and the only mistakes i find is that, i need to focus more when i m reading.

i started off at 7, its hard
but if you follow EK's guide..ie. main idea, slow reading, don't rush should boost you

i hover at around 10, barely 11 now.

i strongly suggest u nail the technique first, then timing second, thats how i've done it, and it really helps.

3 weeks left, tons of time, relax.

I personally think that taking a verbal exam everyday is way too much. Take a break from it for at least 1 day and go over the questions again. See what you're getting wrong and why you're getting them wrong. I started at a 4 too, and have been slowly and painfully increasing my score by doing this. Got a 9 on 6R. Point is that you don't have to take the tests back to back, which will just burn you out and frustrate you.

I was going to write exactly what U of T wrote. I was stuck at 5, and went to an 8 on verbal (still want to improve more but anythings better than nothing). I started out reading and answering the questions without time. The first thing is getting a feel for how they ask the questions and what answer they are looking for. After that start timing yourself. The major difference for me was reading the WHOLE passage. I was skimming at first and this leads to a misunderstanding of the main idea of the passage sometimes. When someone first told me to read the whole thing I was worried about the time issue but BELIEVE ME when you read the whole thing, when you do the questions you have a better understanding and have to refer back to the passage less so it actually saves time. Just do your best and good luck!!

Thank you guys for all the responses. i do read the entire passage and then do the questions. but i ma try it out without time hopefully it will work. also i think i should do verbal everyother day. thank you guys.

you might get something out of reading verbal-like passages in technical magazines or something like this and then summarizing...that way you get used to the reading and understanding without always having to worry about the questions...inbetween taking all of those tests.

M bhai MBBS said:
I wasnt born in US. came here in 2000.

i think the problem is that i jus need to focus little more. I can get the main idea sometimes but not all the times.. and when i m done with verbal passages i go over it and the only mistakes i find is that, i need to focus more when i m reading.

that is the case with 99% of people like you. I have same problem as you do and came to the states in 2001. On the practice tests I couldn't score more than a 6 and on the April MCAT I scored a 3.

To be honest, no matter how much you practice you will end up somewhere between 3-6 on the real test!