• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Verbal strategy - A few questions

Scarletblack

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
    So yeah, I've been doing good on the Physical and Bio sections, but my Verbal score keeps going down and up and given that I'm taking my MCAT on Sept 13th :scared:, I'd figure I'd ask for advice.

Anyway, the strategy I use:

- I read the passage (sometimes I stay on a paragraph for a few minutes) because I don't get what the hell its talking about.

- Then I look at the question and predict the answer if I can. (I go back to the passage whenever I can if I feel like I can't come up with an answer right away)

- I try to get the main idea from each paragraph and come up with a universal main.

- I kinda read w/out regard for time at first, but as the timer goes to 0, I increase my speed of reading.

- I passage map (yeah I hate doing this, because it slows me down somewhat) so that I don't lose focus.

How can I improve myself here? :bang:

junkct

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Mar 12, 2008
    LA
      - I Read The Passage (sometimes I Stay On A Paragraph For A Few Minutes) Because I Don't Get What The Hell Its Talking About.

- I Kinda Read W/out Regard For Time At First, But As The Timer Goes To 0, I Increase My Speed Of Reading.

- I Passage Map (yeah I Hate Doing This, Because It Slows Me Down Somewhat) So That I Don't Lose Focus.

No

MDman87

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jun 29, 2008
      The South
      1. Pre-Medical
        Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but in all honesty if you're not satisfied with your verbal score 2 weeks before your test, you won't be satisfied on the real thing. There's simply not enough time to make a significant improvement. To my knowledge, there's no two-week miracle cure (if you find it, let me know). Sorry to sound so negative

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.