Nov 21, 2012
Status
I've trained myself pretty well to take 7 minutes per verbal passage. Since I started taking practice tests, I typically have about 10 minutes leftover once I've answered all the questions. What are some strategies to make the best use of this time?

I typically don't mark questions in verbal, but should I start making questions that could easily be answered by looking back at the passage if I have extra time?

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I've trained myself pretty well to take 7 minutes per verbal passage. Since I started taking practice tests, I typically have about 10 minutes leftover once I've answered all the questions. What are some strategies to make the best use of this time?

I typically don't mark questions in verbal, but should I start making questions that could easily be answered by looking back at the passage if I have extra time?
Just curious, what are your scores like? If you are doing well (11+) while having 10 extra minutes, that's great. I've always been told (and I agree myself) that finishing verbal with more than 3-4minutes extra means you haven't used your time the way you should have! If you are not scoring consistently 11-12+, I suggest you spend more time with the passages at the time you read them, rather than to save it for the last, sounds very ineffective to me but that's just me :)

OP
P
Nov 21, 2012
Status
Just curious, what are your scores like? If you are doing well (11+) while having 10 extra minutes, that's great. I've always been told (and I agree myself) that finishing verbal with more than 3-4minutes extra means you haven't used your time the way you should have! If you are not scoring consistently 11-12+, I suggest you spend more time with the passages at the time you read them, rather than to save it for the last, sounds very ineffective to me but that's just me :)

My verbal scores really vary:

AAMC 3 - 10
AAMC 4 - 12
AAMC 5 - 15
GS 1 - 9
GS2 - 12
GS3 - 9
GS4 - 10
GS5 - 9

I don't think GS is very representative of AAMC though. I should probably spend more time on passages, but I don't want to end up rushed at the end.

Oct 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
woah a 15 on verbal while having 10 minutes to spare?!! keep doing what you're doing. sure mark a few questions to go back to, but not in a way that you are going to second guess whatever intuition you seem to have.
Seriously, what's your secret? How did you "train yourself"?

OP
P
Nov 21, 2012
Status
woah a 15 on verbal while having 10 minutes to spare?!! keep doing what you're doing. sure mark a few questions to go back to, but not in a way that you are going to second guess whatever intuition you seem to have.
Seriously, what's your secret? How did you "train yourself"?
I think that 15 was a bit of a fluke based on my other scores. I mostly just tried to read a ton over the summer (finished 9 books or so in 3 months, which is more than I read in all of college). Did all of EK101 and am working through TPHR. I think the trick to verbal is not to overanalyze it. Read the passage, think about it, and answer the questions. The real advantage of practicing is concentration (which is my main issue) and learning the types of questions to expect.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
My verbal scores really vary:

AAMC 3 - 10
AAMC 4 - 12
AAMC 5 - 15
GS 1 - 9
GS2 - 12
GS3 - 9
GS4 - 10
GS5 - 9

I don't think GS is very representative of AAMC though. I should probably spend more time on passages, but I don't want to end up rushed at the end.
You are doing a great job dude (I'm so jealous!)

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that 15 was a bit of a fluke based on my other scores. I mostly just tried to read a ton over the summer (finished 9 books or so in 3 months, which is more than I read in all of college). Did all of EK101 and am working through TPHR. I think the trick to verbal is not to overanalyze it. Read the passage, think about it, and answer the questions. The real advantage of practicing is concentration (which is my main issue) and learning the types of questions to expect.

Have you looked at any other sources? like Kaplan?

Have you seen any improvement or were you just good from the beginning when you started EK101?

OP
P
Nov 21, 2012
Status
Have you looked at any other sources? like Kaplan?

Have you seen any improvement or were you just good from the beginning when you started EK101?
I haven't looked at Kaplan. I did a few TBR passages, but I'm not a fan. I'll probably mix some in closer to the test date though. I was pretty good at the beginning, but I've gotten better. Mainly my speed, actually. I'm an extremely slow reader, so that was the main challenge I had to overcome. I started by trying to read faster than I was typically comfortable with while reading for fun.