Verbal Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makingthejump

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After researching this forum and the internet, it really seems like there is no surefire method to studying for the mcat verbal section. Does anyone else agree with this? It feels to me like the prep companies can't seem to replicate the exact thinking and rationale of the aamc test makers. If this is the case, then by studying verbal sources from test companies, you may actually hinder your ability to do well b/c you may develop answer rationale that is not consistent with that of the aamc test makers. Has anyone just used the aamc verbal material for studying and done well? It feels like a waste of time using the prep companies and trying to understand their logic, when in reality, their logic means nothing if it isn't consistent with aamc's logic.

Members don't see this ad.

Tutors: If you can afford it, hire a tutor who scored well on VR AND who can teach. I recommend Wyzant.com for finding tutors.

I got a 9 in VR the first time I took the MCAT and just took it again recently.
English is not my first language, but I do feel that this time I was doing way better than the first time on VR. I spent like 2 wks on a Kaplan's VR book and I do think that it helps understand aamc's logic, or any test's logic basically b/c I've been tutoring some guys on GRE and TOEFL over the summer and somehow I found similarities in the readings. At least I feel that the type of traps are very similar, and by learning how to identify them you do better on the VR.
I find it hard to fully understand all 7 passages, especially when some of them are on topics that I'm not familiar with.
I don't know if this helps you, but good luck!