Verbal Tip!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dartmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have done a few passages, and I found this trick to be helpful.

Look at every passage in verbal as an argument.

In the first paragraph, the passage typically presents the argument - this is the really important paragraph. Everything else in the passage has to relate to this paragraph.

In the paragraphs that follow, mark each paragraph or parts of a paragraph as to whether it supportive of this argument or not. Sense the author's tone of EACH paragraph.

Connect these paragraphs together as you are reading. See if the point in the next paragraph supports or refutes the point mentioned in the previous paragraph and how does this paragraph's point relate to the overall argument?

READ FOR THE DETAILS. LITTLE WORDS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, SO READ DILIGENTLY AND CAREFULLY. Remember the rule of occam's razor - simplest answer is the best answer.

This trick has helped me reduce 3 wrong per passage to 1-2 wrong per passage.

I know this is intuitive for some, but it might be helpful for others who suck at verbal (like me). Practice makes perfect guys!! Keep practicing. It's been helping me a lot, and don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad.

OP probably didn't mean it in the sense that you should try to remember every word in the passage by carefully looking at each detail presented. He probably meant that you should pay full attention when you are reading every sentence while you are looking for the main idea. The way he said it though can make it look like he is leading to the wrong away against everyone...

Agree with MSHopes. Yes, don't memorize details!! That would KILL YOU on Verbal. Pay attention to the wording and the argument.