Verbal Verbal Verbal !!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jatroswellpk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help....arrrg:mad:

I'm preparing for Aug on my own...just got done with Verbal section of the FL....and got 6~7(on PR vr wkbook)....this is my 2nd time around!

What the hell is wrong with me!:mad:

When I cked out my pattern, for those passages I understood(ie, science, social)I was getting 1 or 2 or no questions wrong....but on passages like art, philosophy or some obscure passages, I just get killed on the question....

what can I do between now till 8/16???
Is there a magic pills to understand those hard passages?:confused: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Do not let TPR verbal get you down! They are not like the MCAT get your hands on EK verbal 101 passages (11 full length verbal tests) and do one per week or whatever until the MCAT. You *will* see improvement if you keep on working with EK verbal. Verbal is probably the only section that I saw improvement just by doing full length exams. You must do full length though, do not do one-two passages at a time for the real MCAT is nine passages all at once so the best way to prep for that is doing full lenght. TPR verbal was totally different than the real shabang, I was getting 6-8 in TPR verbal and 9-11 with EK, the EK folks are the best for verbal hands down!

Yep EK 101 is awesome. And you wanna know what else is helping tremendously? Believe it or not, Kaplan's online "qbank" has bio passages that center around a lot of hypotheses and theories, how to prove or disprove this or that theory. It is helping my critical reading skills immensely.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those passages that are giving you hard time. Try to figure out why? terminology, just plain uninteresting. Bascially, there is a reason. Evaluate yourself more closely. And, I suggest you start reading articles about that literature crap. Yes, I know it sucks but it will help.

on test day, bring something complex to read before the test. I actually brought some practice test and read those as a mental warm-up. it helps, believe me.:)

Originally posted by jekel
on test day, bring something complex to read before the test. I actually brought some practice test and read those as a mental warm-up. it helps, believe me.:)

I agree! You have to be in the right mind set to do well on verbal. You gotta focus!

Originally posted by sallybeelly
hey lil pook,

do we have to pay for kaplan qbank?

I paid 140 for 3 months....but I am willing to share (for a small contribution);)

PM me if youre interested

First - are you completing all questions? If not work on your timing. In the real thing you don't get marks off for wrong answers so even if you are completely guessing you stand a better chance of scoring well if you answer everything.

second - these things really ARE a matter of practice and getting used to the format. I know my score escalated the more of them I did. There is no better advice for the Verbal section as they really do tend to follow a pattern and once you 'get' that pattern you will do consistently well in this section. So for now, just get loads of verbal passages and work on doing them. Also key is going back through and understanding why you got a different answer to they did.

At least for me, it is all about concentration. If I start to daydream while reading then I miss like half of the questions for that passage. Just practice a lot and make sure you are training yourself to focus.

Hey lil pook, I'm really interested in the qbank verbal help. I'm having lots of trouble in this portion (and writing) of the MCAT's. Would you mind helping me out for the verbal and also give some advice for help on the writing. W/o a course, how can I improve my writing? Thanks so much for everyone's help.

drdoctor- you have to practice staying focused and reading critically. Ya know its funny cuz I thought I lost a lot of my verbal with all this science and crap, but its just like anything else. If you practice you will succeed. Get ahold of some really boring bio passages like Kaplan, and also read boring philosophy, ethics, etc. and your verbal skills will increase. Practice staying focused. I try to trick myself into thinking its the most interesting thing I've ever read. I think sometimes that is half the battle.