Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killergiant34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding the verbal section. I am planning to take the MCAT a year from now and I know the verbal is going to be my weakest section, so I was wondering how I can prepare for it. Since it's summer, I now have a lot of free time to do stuff, so I figured I might as well start studying for the MCAT. I have MCAT flash cards that I'm using to go over bio, chem, and physics concepts, but I don't know how to prepare for the verbal. If anyone has advice on how I should study for the verbal section this summer, that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you... I start reading stuff like the economist.
I would also get ek verbal 1001s and do 1-2 passage a day... it never to early to start studying verbal.
For the sciences.... focus on your courses.....make sure you read and understand your textbook take all your pre-reqs, a physiology course,etc.... and make sure you UNDERSTAND the material in the courses.

While practice is important for the MCAT as a whole, it is absolutely imperative for the Verbal Section. Simply put, the best way to study for the Verbal Section is to practice VR passages. Reading things such as the Economist and other publications is great for comprehension and reasoning, but nothing is better than bearing down and cranking out passage after passage.

The thing that I found the most helpful in practice and on the test itself was to be passionate about every passage, no matter how boring or esoteric they seemed. When I looked at my practice tests, I noticed I performed the best on passages concerning the Natural Sciences and Humanities, while I didn't do as well on Social Science passages. The reason for this is that I do not enjoy social science as much as English or the natural sciences, and thus, would not pay as close attention to the passages. When I started to read each passage as though it was the coolest thing ever put on paper, I noticed that my comprehension went up, as well as my scores.

I guess what I'm trying to say is practice, read, and be enthusiastic about every passage you encounter. Once the MCAT comes around, I'm sure you'll crush it :)