Verified GPAs higher than expected... Now what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinay58

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my application was just verified and I now have my verified GPAs. My own estimation was 3.66 cGPA and 3.59 sGPA; however, my verified GPAs were: 3.72 cGPA and 3.66 sGPA. When combined with a 501 MCAT, how would this impact my chances of getting into a med school? I am most interested in PNWU and ATSU-SOMA.

B.S. Medical Laboratory Scientist and Music Minor
-current full time night shift Medical Technologist (9 months now)
-120 hours volunteering as patient transporter at large medical center (current)
-50 hours volunteering at free clinic (current)
-50 hours shadowing family practice DO (current)
-40 hours shadowing hematopathologist MD
-6 years church worship leader
-founding secretary of community service club at college
-150-200 hours non clinical community service
-strong personal statement
-LORs: 1 science professor (PhD), 1 science instructor (MT), 1 PhD from research rotation, 1 DO, 1 MD
-applying as early as possible

Members don't see this ad.

You're in great shape - I bet you get interviews at both barring any red flags. Don't even think about retaking that MCAT if those two are your top choice (students with 24's get accepted all the time without breaking a sweat). At this point, worry about the things that you can control like writing a strong personal statement/secondary essays.

For those schools, you have a good shot. Not guaranteed, as with medical school admissions.

There are schools I've applied to that have much lower averages than mine and I haven't received II's to. I would suggest to apply broadly. That 501 score isn't going to do you any favors. I reckon you'd get in somewhere if you apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the "1 letter from a science instructor (MT)" mean?

Where did you look to find your verified gpa?

You're in great shape - I bet you get interviews at both barring any red flags. Don't even think about retaking that MCAT if those two are your top choice (students with 24's get accepted all the time without breaking a sweat). At this point, worry about the things that you can control like writing a strong personal statement/secondary essays.

I thought you could not work on your personal statement once you submit your application?

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you look to find your verified gpa?
download one of the applications you submitted and then your verified gpas will be in the academic section

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances were fine to begin with... I don't think adcoms are TOO worried about someone's GPA once you're in the 3.6+ range; let alone the relatively small bump. Your EC's are about average I would think but, as mathnerd pointed out, the 501 MCAT is probably not helping your cause. Redhope said people with 24s get in all the time, but I'm sure those people have incredible stories or have shown great resolve in one way or another. Good advice to focus on what you can work on now (PS and application) and to apply broadly.

I thought you could not work on your personal statement once you submit your application?
You can't. I was referring to the secondary essays that are essentially extensions of the personal statement.

Your chances were fine to begin with... I don't think adcoms are TOO worried about someone's GPA once you're in the 3.6+ range; let alone the relatively small bump. Your EC's are about average I would think but, as mathnerd pointed out, the 501 MCAT is probably not helping your cause. Redhope said people with 24s get in all the time, but I'm sure those people have incredible stories or have shown great resolve in one way or another. Good advice to focus on what you can work on now (PS and application) and to apply broadly.
Incredible stories help, but that is not the point. Those two schools SPECIFICALLY are not big on the MCAT. They're all about fit and devotion to the correct type of community.

Incredible stories help, but that is not the point. Those two schools SPECIFICALLY are not big on the MCAT. They're all about fit and devotion to the correct type of community.

Fair points.... but think it's a misrepresentation to say that "students with 24's get accepted all the time without breaking a sweat".

You're right, but those students with lower MCATs have definitely showed fit to the school's mission. The big question is, does the OP? We never know what kind of candidate they're really looking for. If the OP is the run of the mill med school applicant then he might be passed over for someone else who is a better fit with even an equal or higher MCAT score. In my experience, it is even more difficult to get into schools that are mission oriented. I was surprised that I didnt get offered a II at those schools when I had much higher stats than their averages. I also applied super early (completed everything by end of July to all my schools.)

That's why those with lower MCATs need some kind of a story and/or good interview skills to show how they fit with the school's mission. Nobody can really guarantee an acceptance to any particular school, but you increase chances of getting an acceptance with one of two ways (or both for maximum effect)

1. Having better stats (GPA/MCAT/ECs)
2. Applying to more schools.

What I'm trying to tell the OP is, "don't put all your eggs in one basket." Or in his case, 2. It depends on the type of person you are, but I would rather get an acceptance than just hedge my bets on those two schools which may or may not care about MCAT scores.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! No worries, I applied to 20 schools total. Those two were just my top choices.