Vermont applicants, hold on to your mailbox!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, i was not expecting to hear from them so soon...but alas i have received my second rejection from UVM. It was my first choice by far. I don't want to hear that these schools look at an applicant as a whole. This was purely MCAT score screening. This is the BIGGEST crock i have ever heard.
OK. so i AM bitter. I had originally given myself 3 applicant cycles before i could feel resolved with giving up. But now, I don't know if i can go through this process again. Why do i feel like someone died?

Members don't see this ad.

Sucks to hear it. I hate that feeling.

If you don't mind my asking...

What was your MCAT?
When was you app complete?

I'm worried. :(

Zoobaby-

Here is a copy of what i had posted on another thread:

Before i tell you my MCAT score i feel the need to give you the whole picture...that is what i am hoping ad com's will consider.
My undergrad experience was a disaster. My GPA of a 2.5 was the result of immaturity and the inability to deal with overwhelming problems at home. Not only was i dealing with separation anxiety from leaving my brother for the first time (he is SEVERELY handicapped) but my dad had a stroke on Thanksgiving day the fall semester of my freshman year!
It took me a quite a while to deal with the whole situation, but it was pretty much academically unrecoverable. So, i enrolled in a masters program (bio) and earned a 3.7 final GPA. During this time i have volunteered with autistic children (total of 7 years!) and worked in both clinical oncology research and now basic oncology research. I have roughly 3 poster presentations, 10 abstracts and 6 journal publicaitons (as co-author) from MAJOR journals. I also served as a speaker at a biannual cancer research seminar.
I have taken the MCAT numerous times. The low score correlates perfectly to my horrendously low SAT score! Standardized exams are just not my thing.
So now after taking all i have done to prove my motivation and commitment to becoming a physician I will give you my MCAT score: 23 ugh!

Never actually received an official "application complete" notice. Submitted my secondary on 9/17, but my recommendations weren't sent out until 10/31. I am sure they took one look at my MCAT score and rejected me....that is however AFTER they cashed my check!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about the rejection. This process is really harsh and I feel your pain. I hope that you get in somewhere. I admire your perseverance.

Perseverant -

I PM'd ya.

Originally posted by Perseverant 1
Zoobaby-

Before i tell you my MCAT score i feel the need to give you the whole picture...that is what i am hoping ad com's will consider.
My undergrad experience was a disaster. My GPA of a 2.5 was the result of immaturity and the inability to deal with overwhelming problems at home. Not only was i dealing with separation anxiety from leaving my brother for the first time (he is SEVERELY handicapped) but my dad had a stroke on Thanksgiving day the fall semester of my freshman year!
It took me a quite a while to deal with the whole situation, but it was pretty much academically unrecoverable. So, i enrolled in a masters program (bio) and earned a 3.7 final GPA. During this time i have volunteered with autistic children (total of 7 years!) and worked in both clinical oncology research and now basic oncology research. I have roughly 3 poster presentations, 10 abstracts and 6 journal publicaitons (as co-author) from MAJOR journals. I also served as a speaker at a biannual cancer research seminar.
I have taken the MCAT numerous times. The low score correlates perfectly to my horrendously low SAT score! Standardized exams are just not my thing.
So now after taking all i have done to prove my motivation and commitment to becoming a physician I will give you my MCAT score: 23 ugh!

Never actually received an official "application complete" notice. Submitted my secondary on 9/17, but my recommendations weren't sent out until 10/31. I am sure they took one look at my MCAT score and rejected me....that is however AFTER they cashed my check!

Zoobaby-

I know exactly what you are thinking. You feel betrayed that everybody is telling you how the whole application is what matters most and schools look at the entire picture. You think all that is a crock. It's true. I am realizing that myself. OHSU apparently has a whole "non-preferred" pile that htey put people in. So if you don't have over 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT, you're automatically put in that pile (this is AFTER you submit your secondary). And in the past, they have NEVER had to pull people from that non-preferred pile. This shows you how these #$#$$$ are in it just for the money. Not only that, but they raise our hopes and we later find out about some wierd cut off AFTER our checks are cashed. I am noticing that no amount of EC's can make up for a poor GPA and/or MCAT. I am surprized by the amount of publications you have (this is awesome) and how those don't show to your talent, skill, committment and dedication to the field. Three years of application itself shows dedication.

I don't know what to say that will make you feel better. Know that you are not alone and there are tons of us out there. We HAVE to stick through it. One of us has to get in to show that these mighty ad coms with their big number crunching machines are not the big beasts we think they are. We CAN and WILL conquer them. Maybe not on our own time, but one day, we will. All you have to do it keep marching. Keep working. Keep dreaming.

PM me if you want to talk.
Tweetie

I know this is the last thing anyone wants to hear when they so want to go to med school and have tried three times etc -- so if you want, just tuck it in the back of your mind for later.

Learning medicine is awesome, and if it's what you want, it's not to be missed. I am LOVING medical school, even though the workload is crazy. I am so happy to study what I love, and be working towards caring for patients.

I used to hate reading this statement too, but please don't discount osteopathy or NP or PA. If you want an MD, work as hard as you can to get in. BUT, if it doesn't seem like it's going to work out, if you had to choose either allopathic med school or NOT learning medicine and caring for patients, I would advocate pursing whatever other path is going to get you to be be a practioner, if you want it. It's such a priviledge.

As you worked in oncology clinical research, I'm assume you were exposed to NPs. I also did oncology clinical research for a while, and thought that was NPs got to do was amazing as well -- much of what doctors do. I actually looked into NP programs before I applied to med school.

I don't know as much about osteopaths and have never worked with PAs, but they both PRACTICE MEDICINE.

I know that these posts to "consider other options" are so discouraging and make some people feel like they're having to choose a "second-rate" option. So I would understand if you dismiss it. But if allopathy doesn't work out, maybe sometime think about it, see if you do want to practice medicine, maybe shadow some osteopaths and PAs and NPs and see what they do and what ways in which you might enjoy or dislike their professions.

Getting into med school was a struggle for me too, and your story resonates with me -- good luck to you and everyone else trying to show adcoms that numbers that you can't change from the past don't always reflect your capability today.

Preserve,
I totally understand how you are feeling and what you are going through. I have received 5 rejections through mail already, and it seeems to have become a routine. So next time I get a thin envelope, I will tear it apart and throw it in the trash.....Good luck in other schools.
JACK

You're not alone, Perserve et. al. I am far from stellar but I have a 32P and a 3.5 from Cornell and I received 6 rejections and a post-interview waitlist from Albany. Y'all aren't the sole targets...easier, perhaps, but not alone.

Originally posted by jonquille
I used to hate reading this statement too, but please don't discount osteopathy or NP or PA. If you want an MD, work as hard as you can to get in.

I have to agree - but only to a point. To lump osteopathy in with nurse practictioners and physician assistants is a disservice to all involved.

Osteopaths are *physicians* - NPs and PAs are mid-level practioners. They all serve people in different ways and at different levels.

There are clear and powerful advantages to pursuing a mid-level licensure - especially PA school. Lower total cost of training, less time to complete. Out earlier and making a decent paycheck and a better quality of life right out of school. Still very competitive for admission, though.

If helping people through medicine is your ultimate goal, then yes, pursue every avenue. If having 'MD' behind your name is your goal, then don't quit. If, after exploring the osteopathic philosophy, it appeals to you, then perhaps it's worth pursuing as well for you. I hope no one looks down upon osteopathy - nor the mid-level practioners as well. Good luck!

- Tae

hey peeps, I also got the boot from U vermont...how wack is that? I thought they looked for more than just numbers (with their slightly lower than average numbers), but I guess not...but then again I'm out of state, so I don't know if that plays a role. Anyways keep your head up people, they don't know what they're missing! I'm going to talk to my counselor and ask if I should appeal, I feel that I am a strong enough candidate to at least get an interview, but we'll see, anyways...late

got my rejection yesterday...

it was my back-up choice anyway...

da#@, I need to find new back up now...

well...who wants to go to vermont anyway, right? (loser's whinning...:( )

by the way...is it time for the first big load of rejection letters to be sent out?

just wondering...

Coronaboy-

Who wants to go to Vermont anyway? uummm, ME! :D

Now my only hope is Penn state. Does anyone know if they send out the "hold for an interview" as a "soft" rejection?

Coronaboy-

Who wants to go to Vermont anyway? uummm, ME! :D

haha :)

like i said...it was loser's whinning... haha...

i don't think i'm in that position to be picky about where i go....

whereever wants me, i will be there...