Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Vermont secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kurleyfry, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Kurleyfry

Kurleyfry Member

Has anyone checked out the University of Vermont secondary?? They ask you to put down any criminal charges that include speeding tickets but only give you one line to fill in. Is anyone out there like me with numerous speeding tickets to report?? And do you think they are looking down on apps with speeding problems? Also, the only required extra essay type question is to list places you have lived and the populations of those towns. Has being in Vermont made these people lose it? I'm wondering if I shouldn't bother shelling out the $80 for this one...

:eek:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician

Attending Physician
    populations of the towns you've lived in? that's silly. how far back do they ask?

silliness abounds on secondaties.

4. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

Did you get it via mail or online? You can enter it in the post "which school give out secondaries"

5. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician

Attending Physician
    i haven't gotten it yet.

6. dynamic02

dynamic02 Member

Hey!
    I've grown up in major cities all of my life and I will be attending UVM for med school this upcoming year. It is definitely different up in Vermont (compared to the big city), but the people are really great and laid back here. On both my interview and the Closer Look Day, I found the administration and the students to be quite friendly and very helpful, and I really got the sense of community around UVM and Burlington. Plus, the program is great as well.
    Obviously it's your choice in terms in choosing whether to apply to UVM or not, but I would definitely encourage you to look at the website and maybe request more info... There are many people from completely different areas that go to UVM (not just Vermonters... actually I think over half the students are from out of state), so I wouldn't say that the people here have "lost it". :D
    That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

7. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded

Yeah, I just got the secondary from Vermont, and they do indeed ask for those things. I understand why they ask for the populations of the cities--Burlington's not exactly a huge metropolis--but what I wanna know is:

When I get a speeding ticket and sign the back of it, the plea is actually "NO CONTEST", not actually "GUILTY." Is that the same thing?? (Obviously in practice I still have to fork over $270 to the stupid state of Connecticut. Not that that actually happened to me-ummm....)

-Andy

8. Kurleyfry

Kurleyfry Member

I got the app by snail mail yesterday.

The list of where you have lived is for your entire life, anywhere you have lived.

And the criminal record for speeding tickets goes back five years (thank goodness that cuts off one of my tickets!).

And I am not badmouthing UVM, I love Burlington and it's a major reason I applied, along with the high percentage of out-of-staters. I just think the secondary questions are a little "odd." Anyway, at least it is far far far from the evil Duke secondary...

9. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician

Attending Physician
    i'm waiting for the uvm secondary.

does it ask about the towns you've lived in, or addresses? i'm curious b/c i've done a lot of moving, but most of it has been within the same couple of towns.

either way, it's still easier to fill out than that dook secondary! ;)

10. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded

You're just supposed to "Give the name and popilation (approximate) of the towns and cities where you have lived and your age while living at each location." So I guess you don't need to give 'em addresses.

About that Duke 2ndary: word!

11. lola

lola Bovine Member

Maybe by asking about the places you lived in, they are trying to weed out applicants who are using it as a safety school but really have no desire to live in a small town/city atmosphere? I dunno... That's assuming people who grew up in urban areas won't want to live somewhere not so urban.