• Mt. Sinai

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
1. University of Vermont--3rd best financially (tied)

2. Case Western--2nd best financially

3. Dartmouth--best financially

4. Mt. Sinai--3rd best financially (tied)

Just polling for interest sake. Will base decision on the how I feel after all of the 2nd Looks. Thanks for the input.

-Conrad

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
these are vastly different schools, as i understand it. i don't think anyone can give you helpful advice unless you tell us a bit about yourself and where you're coming from. what good is a poll for your sake if everyone's just picking their favorite school?

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it might be better if you gave us a sense of what the financial differences are (how significant)...Also, geographical preferences. I prefer big cities, but you may hate them. This factors into what school is the best fit.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd go to Sinai because it's a fabulous school in a good location. I did like dartmouth a lot too, though, how big is the difference in cost?

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
these are vastly different schools, as i understand it. i don't think anyone can give you helpful advice unless you tell us a bit about yourself and where you're coming from. what good is a poll for your sake if everyone's just picking their favorite school?
As I said, I'm basing my decision on my interests and situation, but it is interesting to see what other people would choose.

I don't mean to waste anyones time, but I thought I might self-indulge and post this...but your point is valid.

-Conrad

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it might be better if you gave us a sense of what the financial differences are (how significant)...Also, geographical preferences. I prefer big cities, but you may hate them. This factors into what school is the best fit.
The financial differences:

Approximations:
Dartmouth--end up 40 grand in debt
Case--50 grand
Sinai/Vermont--80 grand

Those numbers might seem strange, but I have the GI Bill which is based on which state schools are in--and some schools supplement the Bill.

I like big cities (but am fine with all sorts of other places) but I don't like really small, smelly apartments...thats my only issue with Sinai--any comments about the Spanish Harlem real estate environment?

Thanks,
Conrad

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

Approximations:
Case--50 grand
Sinai/Vermont--80 grand

Those numbers might seem strange, but I have the GI Bill which is based on which state schools are in--and some schools supplement the Bill.

I like big cities (but am fine with all sorts of other places) but I don't like really small, smelly apartments...thats my only issue with Sinai--any comments about the Spanish Harlem real estate environment?

Thanks,
Conrad
this makes me wonder if you actually visited the school. or any of NYC, ever. i've never lived in a small, smelly apartment and i've been here 6 years and lived in 2 different boroughs and 3 different neighborhoods.

sinai owns an entire apt building on 98th between park and madison (if i remeber correctly). it's beautiful, and the rent is RIDICULOUSLY cheap for students. RIDICULOUSLY cheap. nothing else on the UES is even close to that price. no need to mess with the "spanish harlem real estate environment."

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Approximations:
Case--50 grand
Sinai/Vermont--80 grand

Thanks,
Conrad
I'd leave finances out of it then. 40 grand is a lot, but in the long run, I personally think it's more important to go where you'd be happiest.

Sinai has subsidized apartments. So it's ~600/month to live in Manhattan. This is ridiculously cheap. Aron Hall isn't the Ritz Carlton, and the rooms aren't huge, but for NYC you can't be the quality and price. You'd be paying $1200/month to live in a crappier place off campus.

I'd vote Sinai, but I'm biased because that's where I'm probably enrolling.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
this makes me wonder if you actually visited the school. or any of NYC, ever. i've never lived in a small, smelly apartment and i've been here 6 years and lived in 2 different boroughs and 3 different neighborhoods.

sinai owns an entire apt building on 98th between park and madison (if i remeber correctly). it's beautiful, and the rent is RIDICULOUSLY cheap for students. RIDICULOUSLY cheap. nothing else on the UES is even close to that price. no need to mess with the "spanish harlem real estate environment."
I didn't mean to insult by my "small, smelly apartment" comment, or to cast doubt on the veracity of my anonymous post. I apologize.

My, limited, NYC real estate experience: My brother had a somewhat gross apartment in the east village for a number of years, and the one apartment that we looked at in aaron hall during the interview day smelled. I plan to stay at aaron hall during the 2nd look to get a better feel for living there.

As far as other housing availability, if I want my SO to move in with me (and she reciprocates that desire) during a later year, what are the options? If we are not yet married, etc? I will of course research this "bridge" again, prior to crossing it.

Thanks,
Conrad

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd leave finances out of it then. 40 grand is a lot, but in the long run, I personally think it's more important to go where you'd be happiest.

Sinai has subsidized apartments. So it's ~600/month to live in Manhattan. This is ridiculously cheap. Aron Hall isn't the Ritz Carlton, and the rooms aren't huge, but for NYC you can't be the quality and price. You'd be paying $1200/month to live in a crappier place off campus.

I'd vote Sinai, but I'm biased because that's where I'm probably enrolling.
Good perspective, thanks

PedsDoc14

5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
I'd go with wherever you think you'll be the most happy and get the strongest education. Evaluate it based on curriculum and clinical opportunities, also each school's strength and number of residency placements in whatever field you may be interested in. As far as where you might be happy, just look at what setting you would be happy to live in for 4 years and your thoughts on the students and school's culture, you will be in close contact/collaboration with these people and you should probably like the type of person each school seems to attract.

As far as financial considerations, you are incredibly fortunate there and I would weight that minimally in your case. Considering the average indebtedness is somewhere around $150k and the most you are looking at is $80k, you're going to be a doctor when all is said and done and that additional $40k isn't going to be a huge deal. If you were looking at $40k, or even $100k, versus >$200k then yeah, by all means weight that highly, it's a significant concern. But you are incredibly fortunate to be only looking at the 40-80 range (sounds like you earned it though, much respect there), and if I were in your shoes I would go to wherever I would have the highest quality of life balanced with a strong education.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd go with wherever you think you'll be the most happy and get the strongest education. Evaluate it based on curriculum and clinical opportunities, also each school's strength and number of residency placements in whatever field you may be interested in. As far as where you might be happy, just look at what setting you would be happy to live in for 4 years and your thoughts on the students and school's culture, you will be in close contact/collaboration with these people and you should probably like the type of person each school seems to attract.

As far as financial considerations, you are incredibly fortunate there and I would weight that minimally in your case. Considering the average indebtedness is somewhere around $150k and the most you are looking at is $80k, you're going to be a doctor when all is said and done and that additional $40k isn't going to be a huge deal. If you were looking at $40k, or even $100k, versus >$200k then yeah, by all means weight that highly, it's a significant concern. But you are incredibly fortunate to be only looking at the 40-80 range (sounds like you earned it though, much respect there), and if I were in your shoes I would go to wherever I would have the highest quality of life balanced with a strong education.
PedsDoc14, thank-you for that thoughtful response. I think that could be copied and pasted into many of these threads.

I definitely realize how fortunate I am. I was hoping/wishing/praying to get into one school, and I was prepared to fully embrace and be happy with whatever school that would be. Now I am trying to make the right choice, as well as enjoy this deliberation.

Thanks,
Conrad

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Hey Conrad,

I think we spoke about housing at Sinai but I'd have to go back and check that it wasn't someone else.

You're in a different situation because you're going to want an apartment with your SO, so Aron Hall won't work for you. You can get couple's housing, but I think we spoke about that you need a domestic partnership or some sort. I know there were some of my classmates living in couple's housing who were not married, but I'm not sure if they had a domestic partnership. I think you should e-mail or call housing and see what they say, and if they won't budge, you'll have to find off-campus housing. I really think it's a stupid rule to need a domestic partnership, but I guess due to the supply and demand of cheap housing in NYC, it's the only way to make sure people who need it get it.

You won't have to worry about smelly apartments or anything (unless you have roommates who are slobs). Housing near UES is really nice, although expensive. You might be able to get cheap studios, but 2 bedroom apartments can easily go over 2k. If you look for places a little further east, like 2nd Avenue, you'll probably find cheaper apartments. Of course, many people commute from downtown, west side, and Queens/Brooklyn. It's easily doable because of the great subway/bus system, although it can be annoying to commute every day (unlike living in Aron Hall which is across the street).

I wish I could help you more with your housing, but your situation is a bit more unique and I don't think I can give any more advice. Maybe other lurking Sinai students can chime in.

loljkttyl

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
If you like big cities, then NYC (Mount Sinai) is the way to go!!! I believe you can get couple's housing at Sinai if you have either (a) a marriage license or (b) a joint bank account. I'd go with wherever you AND your SO think you'll be the most happy.

Last edited:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, have you made a decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.